Rejected Again at a local art fair: suggestions & advice please

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by padrepaul77, Sep 14, 2009.

1. padrepaul77

padrepaul77 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Tried to enter in these two pictures to a local art fair. Was hoping at least one would make the cut, but they didn't go for either one. They took about 40 pieces of art out of 180 submitted or so, so I don't know what I was up against and how much was painting and sculpture vs. photography.

These kinds of things are subjective, and personally, I like these pictures. I'm not a pro, just enjoy the hobby seriously and it would be nice to be able to sell images...but there are so many photographers out there.

Full time I'm a Catholic priest, so I'm not looking obviously for a second job. But I would like to get into local competitions, and sell some images...I won't lie, it would be nice to get a few extra dollars (how quickly I blew through cash buying gear :eek:) but it would just be fun to bring enjoyment to someone who bought the image to brighten up a room or office or something.

Here are the two I submitted. I really enjoy summer, and these are of the Minnesota State Fair. I thought they might get in and put people in a more summer kind of mood.

I tend to shoot a lot of outdoorsy kind of stuff; landscape; leaves; lakes; or street shots...maybe I'm just missing something?

I don't want to sound too depressed; it's only my second time trying to enter. I just want to take it to the next level so to speak. I've got my gear now...and I shoot things of interest to me, and try to catch things. Maybe I just need to give it more time. I'm also joining a local photo club.

Any thoughts on these shots would be appreciated. The darker one was shot using the "pinhole" effect on the camera. They might not have liked 'em, but I do. They aren't great, but they make me think of something I really like. Could they have been better though? What kinds of things should I be looking for that are more interesting to people?

Thanks,
    Fr. Paul

Attached Files:

2. MikeBookPro

MikeBookPro TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think they're both great shots, actually. The second shot is definitely stronger, though, in my opinion. I vote for just enjoying your great photos!

3. ricke46

ricke46 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like them, but wouldn't consider it art. I see them as really good photographs taken during your time at the local fair. I believe a more abstract approach would yield a better chance of getting into an art show.

Don't let it get you down though. Those two photos are very nice. Just keep trying!

Best of luck.

4. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the first image. It could have been better (IMO) if it was totally silhouetted.

Look at what sells at art fairs. Go to art galleries and see what they carry.
    I could see the first image at an art fair, but not the second. You are shooting a subject that has a smaller audience of people really into amusement parks/carnivals.

5. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    hm. I like them, too. I like the second image much more. The first is fine. I thought the second was great. (better colors which makes it more interesting for me)

It's not like they are the best pics ever, but they're a lot better than average (again IMO).

6. CSR Studio

CSR Studio TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Art fairs are tough. You have to find out what is selling in that area. It is very different from art gallery sales. I think your images are in between the art fair and the art gallery. Art fair work is something that anyone would like to put on their walls. Usually nice landscapes and the like. The art gallery stuff is completely different. It depends on where in the country you are and then when in the city the gallery is. Keep trying, you have an eye for light. Good job.

7. ocular

ocular TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A little pp in #1 to get rid of that yellow haze. I really like #2 looks like some mechanical robot. This is the first step you should take, name them like mechanical robot instead of just midway, it sells too ;)

8. foned

foned TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i like them both, nice shots ;]

9. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    did you have the opportunity to see what was chosen? that might help, or it might not. Also, it is sometimes helpful to know who the judges are and what is there background. For instances i have been a judge several times for several large art festivals and have discovered i am one of the few who has any experience with photography.

knowing the judges gives one the opportunity to find out what are their preferences (we all have them). i.e a judge who favors street work is not going to find landscape very interesting. etc. etc. etc.

judging is not easy and in my experience (of judging) there are certain guides that are followed.

if this was an art festival then the guide lines are much different than say a local fair, judges are usually looking for the "wow' something different well done and professional presentation. (at least that is something i look for).

The photos are fine, however, as a collector of photography it is not something i would hang on my walls.

that is not to say you haven't done a nice job, you have taken a common subject and attempted to give it a different twist which is terrific.

keep working and practice, practice , practice

10. padrepaul77

padrepaul77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the kind words. I continue to kind of get the hang of SLR photography, and it's just the second time I tried to enter a competition. It's interesting what did get into the State Fair arts building; the big prize in photo went to a series of shots of the phases of the moon. I thought it was interesting, but it didn't wow me. Another one was just a picture of two elderly guys talking at a table, smiling; agian good, but it didn't wow me...the one that did was a wide-angle shot of a balerina smoking a cigarette in the alley behind the theater, but it didn't win.

They took 40 pieces of art, probably just a few of which were photos, so I'll look and see what made it in. The two I've entered aren't photography-specific competitions, just juried arts exhibitions. My goal with photography is to get better and better, but also to sell some images too that people might enjoy. Every Minnesotan knows the State Fair well, so it's a common shot of the Midway I guess. I do try to find things that are a little unique or go for different angles...time will tell if I can actually sell these, or how unique a shot has to be to actually get into one of these exhibitions.

Thanks for the comments!
    Paul

11. Error

Error TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you want art photography... I bet inside the church is a perfect subject.

12. UUilliam

UUilliam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    hahaha :p

I can imagine a wedding in your church :p

"Oi you, The photographer, You need to put your aperture to about f9 and you ISO up to 400, let the camera choose your shutter, infact, get up here n take pics from up next to me!
    You know what actually, I want to see the images afterwards"
    haha :p

your images are a bit overblown in the skies to be honest, the white balance is off (but is good like that)
    Also, maybe resizing your images will help a bit,
    It just doesn't appeal to me in honesty
    but for a local art fair... assuming it was a small county, i dont see why not.