self-defeating

Of course - I consider the person giving the critique; what do I know about them? I know they are not me. I know they have their preferences. I know their preferences are necessarily not mine. Thus their critique is no better (nor worse) than anyone else. Thus, everyone's critique is equal as far as I'm concerned. It's not internally contradictory - it's internally harmonious.

That's just silly. It may make you feel good internally to be "nonjudgemental", but I think most people are judgmental, so what have you proved?

What would you like me to have proven? I'm saying I don't care a whole lot about critiques in terms of "That person says I should have done it another way!" because I know they are giving their honest view from their perspective. Are you missing a LOT of context to my statements - what are you trying to get at with your reply? What is holding you back from understanding I do not hold one critique necessarily higher in esteem than another?

What is holding you back from understanding I do not hold one critique necessarily higher in esteem than another?
I understood your post.

Of course - I consider the person giving the critique; what do I know about them? I know they are not me. I know they have their preferences. I know their preferences are necessarily not mine. Thus their critique is no better (nor worse) than anyone else. Thus, everyone's critique is equal as far as I'm concerned. It's not internally contradictory - it's internally harmonious.

That's just silly. It may make you feel good internally to be "nonjudgemental", but I think most people are judgmental, so what have you proved?

What would you like me to have proven? I'm saying I don't care a whole lot about critiques in terms of "That person says I should have done it another way!" because I know they are giving their honest view from their perspective. Are you missing a LOT of context to my statements - what are you trying to get at with your reply? What is holding you back from understanding I do not hold one critique necessarily higher in esteem than another?
Sometimes the critique is obviously not useful.... Like, "keep practicing". Or a quick critique that lacks any direction. If I want to improve, I have to ask for specific direction... Like, I noticed my outdoor portraits look flat. In this photo, I didn't use flash. Shot at f/5.6 @250s, ISO 400... You will get more of a response this way for improvement.

Thus, everyone's critique is equal as far as I'm concerned.

So, any opinion I might have about your photos or editing (after 12 or 13 years of working hard at photography and editing) has the same weight in your mind as that of someone who just picked up a camera and loves everything?

Thus, everyone's critique is equal as far as I'm concerned.

So, any opinion I might have about your photos or editing (after 12 or 13 years of working hard at photography and editing) has the same weight in your mind as someone who just picked up a camera and loves everything?
Lee, your critique has always been very useful. I have several notations in my journal from critique you gave me as well as others. I thank you for that.

Your critique is not better than anyone's because it's your point of view - and when I submit something for critique I consider the beholder and preferences and all that.

Just want to point out that this sentence is internally contradictory.

"when I submit something for critique I consider the beholder and preferences and all that" you are saying that you consider what you know about the person giving critique
'Your critique is not better than anyone's because it's your point of view" - everyone's critique is equal as far as you're concerned.

you are saying that you consider what you know about the person giving critique

I don't know, I would find the critique of an expert to be much more valuable and "better" than the critique of someone who is inexperienced. There are many cases in which one person's critique is much better than someone else's.

Often, if I get conflicting remarks, I will vet said remarks by visiting the photosites of the remark giver(s). This helps me qualify and give weight to the critiques and the critique giver.

Often, if I get conflicting remarks, I will vet said remarks by visiting the photosites of the remark giver(s). This helps me qualify and give weight to the critiques and the critique giver

True.
But....... everyone profits from giving critique as long as they know why they like/dislike something.
Constructing a critique is the best exercise to improve one's esthetic sense.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back