Selfie BW CC please 2nd attempt off camera flash

I'd like to see the key higher and the fill doesnt appear to be providing any.

why that black border?

It's dramatic lighting. What bother me the most is not so much the lack of fill on the shadow side, but the black, featureless eyes. When the entire center of the eye looks big and black, it makes the person look like an anime cosplay person wearing those weird black-eyeball contact lenses.

The texture on your skin and jacket? Excellent! I just wish it had a liiiiitle bit more fill light on the shadow side, and some detail in the eyeballs.As an added nit: you have what are called "canoes" under your eyes...the sclera are forming "canoes" because line of gaze is rather high up.

Selfies are very difficult to do. As a selfie, pretty good. A really rich, deep B&W conversion routine, but again, for my taste the blacks are too black, and drop off to deep,detail-lessness too rapidly. The silver-toned look of the mid-tones is very lovely and rich, and looks like a luminous B&W print. The highlights are awesome too!

why that black border?

Not sure it just felt right…..

It's dramatic lighting. What bother me the most is not so much the lack of fill on the shadow side, but the black, featureless eyes. When the entire center of the eye looks big and black, it makes the person look like an anime cosplay person wearing those weird black-eyeball contact lenses.

The texture on your skin and jacket? Excellent! I just wish it had a liiiiitle bit more fill light on the shadow side, and some detail in the eyeballs.As an added nit: you have what are called "canoes" under your eyes...the sclera are forming "canoes" because line of gaze is rather high up.

Selfies are very difficult to do. As a selfie, pretty good. A really rich, deep B&W conversion routine, but again, for my taste the blacks are too black, and drop off to deep,detail-lessness too rapidly. The silver-toned look of the mid-tones is very lovely and rich, and looks like a luminous B&W print. The highlights are awesome too!

Yes I was going for a dramatic look however I see what you are saying about no detail on the shadow areas and black fall of to fast. I now have the flashes I had been waiting for and will try again and see if I can fix some things as mentioned.

One comment about the C&C I gave above is that I am evaluating the lighting on a close-up portrait of a man. While for that shot, I said that I'd prefer a bit more fill on a face portrait, let's suppose for a second that was the lighting set-up your used for a standing, nude female: that lighting could be fabulous for that subject. Or let's say it was a classic bowl of fruit and bottle of wine on a table: that could be nice lighting for that subject matter, or for any number of other subjects. If there were not human eyeballs in the shot, THAT exact lighting and that dramatic B&W processing look could be really,really good!

That does make a lot of sense and I will take that CC and learn and grow. Thanks

Two reflections in each eye - when you start looking at it, it looks odd.

..let's suppose for a second that was the lighting set-up your used for a standing, nude female: that lighting could be fabulous for that subject. Or let's say it was a classic bowl of fruit and bottle of wine on a table:

So a nude female is equivalent to a bowl of fruit?

Darrel's been behind the camera for WAY too long!

Eve took a bite of an apple and she was nude when she did it, so this association goes wayyyyyyyyy back!!!

Most reactions

Back