Status
Not open for further replies.

G. Ike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,
There is a craft show coming up at a local firehouse, and I wanted to try to sell some prints. I was planning on printing out 5 different 8x10s and 2 16x20s and selling them in frames (no idea about pricing though, I figured like 10 dollars more than I paid for the prints and frames) and maybe bringing my laptop to show some other photos and maybe take orders and ship prints to them if they are interested. This is completely new to me, and I am looking for any advice. Thanks in advance,

George

My wife talked me into doing a craft show at our Church. I had no luck there. Then we thought maybe it was just particular show, so I did another in a local town's town center. And again, nothing. I know that you're taking a shot in the dark no matter where you try to sell, but I'm just not a believer in craft shows for photographers. I even shoot a lot of barns, and county type stuff thinking maybe that would go well in a craft show, but they weren't into looking for photography. They are looking for "crafty" stuff.

I hope it works out better for you. Please report back to us and let us know.

I'd like to know as well because I see framed photographs selling for $150 at our local arts & crafts shows to be purchased by people with more money than sense.

I just did my first craft thingy ever a couple weeks ago, and did not sell any prints or framed pieces (everyone LOVED them, though :lol:)

It is mainly local nature, parks, animals and pet stuff. The enlargements are all matted, backed and bagged so they look good, anyway

I did however sell a few sets of greeting cards, which are 3.5 x 5 prints of my work (same images as the enlargements) mounted on blank card stock.

I am doing it a couple more times, also to do some in-person advertising for my photo services, so it's not a total loss.

Last edited:
.......I see framed photographs selling for $150 at our local arts & crafts shows to be purchased by people with more money than sense.
An unfortunate, and costly, attitude for a business person.

One of the most important things to remember about selling is: "It's not your money."

I've always did well when I did arts and craft shows. I haven't been able to participate in one for a few years due to health reasons, but hope to start next spring.

Here's my booth....
Booth1.jpg

We had a local crafts show last week. I saw two booths with photos. One was set up by a retired man. His photos were really excellent. None were framed, just mounted. The other was a woman whose pictures, while not bad, were not something that would get raves. The man was selling well. The woman wasn't. He has been doing this for quite a few years. Prices were reasonable. He does his own printing. I believe the key are quality and value.

For $10 over cost, you might as well give them away. I would suggest doing a little "market research" to see what others are selling their work for, and price accordingly based on relative quality, subject matter and final product (size, matted/framed/etc).

As far as the type of show goes, if it's a "real" craft fair, that is one which is 99% knitted mittens and home-made Barbie clothes, you're probably not going to do all that well. If it's more of an art show (Potters, painters, craftsman, artisans) then you will likely do much better. I wouldn't bother at all with the former, but look for every chance you can to attend the latter.

I figured like 10 dollars more than I paid for the prints and frames
Put another zero on the end of that...or it won't be anywhere near worth your time.

I haven't tried this yet...but one strategy that I've seen work...is to display a few large pieces (16x20 or bigger) in nice frames or as gallery wraps etc. These should be priced fairly high (2x your cost at the very least...and that counts custom framing...not just some cheap frame). These are to get people's attention and the higher price tells them that it's 'artwork'...not just some snap shots.
Most people won't be able to afford these (or just don't want to spend that much)...but if they fall in love with the large framed print...you pull out an 8x10 of the same photo (mounted on card stock or matted etc)...and sell that for $20-$50.
Also, you could have something cheap for them to buy...photos in 'post card' format. $3 or two for $5. Maybe not the same photos as the large print...but at least something that might sell when they aren't looking to buy a wall print.

Like someone mentioned, the photographers who seem to do well at this...look like they've been doing it for a long time. They probably had many shows where they didn't sell much of anything...but over time they figured out what works for them. It might be different things for different shows....in different places. So it might be hard to ask what works and just go do it...you have to put in the work & time...trying different things until you find what works.

It can be a gamble until you get use to what type of people go to the shows. If the show ends up being a dumpy flea market then you will find people that are eager to buy crap for low prices.....but not all of them are cheap! If the show reaches people with money and your photos match their taste then you might get lucky.

Watch others and learn, you will find that most of them have nice booths and send a vibe that they are a professional that has created art. If you send an image like a 5 year old selling lemonade expect no sales.

Whoever mentioned having a couple large nicely framed prints is dead on in so many ways!

Came from one just last weekend...... about 80 'craft' vendors, and 3 photographers.. One was selling matted 8x10's for $65... home-made framed pictures (cheap pine) for $90... Asked her and she said she wasn't doing too good... Photographs were crap.

The other was selling matted & framed 11x14's (home-made barnwood frames) for $385.00.... asked him how he was doing and he said he sells 2-3 a day.. Photographs were much better than average, but not 'pro' quality..

I'll bet that if you sell your 8x10 for $10 more than your cost, you'll make about ................................................ $10 that day.. maybe.

There's your range......

r

Hey guys,
I guess I should have mentioned that I am a high school student and I'm not trying to make a living selling these, just a few extra bucks in my pocket. I thought that local people would like having prints of local landscapes in their house, and everybody likes cheap art, so I figured $10 above cost would be a good price for people to grab up a piece of art for their living room or whatever. I intended on attending the craft shows and looking at what people bought, I just thought I would try to get a basic idea of what to do for the first one. Thanks for all your advice,

George

.......I see framed photographs selling for $150 at our local arts & crafts shows to be purchased by people with more money than sense.
An unfortunate, and costly, attitude for a business person.

One of the most important things to remember about selling is: "It's not your money."

Not sure what is so "unfortunate" about what I wrote because I was not referring to my images. The OP was asking about what we thought about selling our photos at craft fairs. From what I've seen, it can be a great way to make some money for your efforts, hence my post. People will pay $150 for a framed 5x7 snapshot. So there is a definite market out there, but it obviously depends upon the type of photography, how it's presented, who your target purchasers are, what the location of the venue is etc etc.

Furthermore, I don't need to be scolded about my business sense on a photography forum. I spent 22 years in Corporate America selling before I retired last year at the age of 45. So back off.

Last edited:
and everybody likes cheap art
Sure...but if it's too cheap, people don't consider it art.

As a crude example;
At $10, it's a snapshot.
At $20, it's a photo.
At $50, it's a good photo.
At $250, it's a valuable piece of art that someone would be proud to hang on their wall.

Not sure what is so "unfortunate" about what I wrote because I was not referring to my images
I think he's referring to the point about the 'customers' having more money than sense.

As photographers (artists), we should think that people who spend money on 'artwork' have a lot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back