Sending a roll of film around the Country/world

Matthew Howell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I have a few older film bodies and lenses that dont seem to be doing me any good and they arnt really worth selling so I came up with an idea (kinda) . I remember seeing something about a guy who sent a camera to a bunch of people and each different person took a picture or two and sent it on.

Now I was wondering if anyone would be interested in participating. I would take the first and last picture on the roll and then post the results when it was finished.

Yes, but that's a lens for digital cameras. This is an entire camera and it's film. Same concept but still different enough that we're not duplicating efforts.

I would be interested. I took part in a chain like that, except each person who got the camera had a week to shoot an entire roll. And the camera was kept secret until it got back to the original party. It was such fun!

Yes, but that's a lens for digital cameras.........

It still works on most Nikon film cameras.

I'm not dissing the OP's idea..... I'd participate in it.

Yes, but that's a lens for digital cameras.........

It still works on most Nikon film cameras.

I'm not dissing the OP's idea..... I'd participate in it.

Yay!

I'm trying to find the thread I started where I posted images from that camera chain...

Just be aware that shipping camera gear around internationally can invoke duty fees.

So it looks like a good idea now to decide on the camera and type of film. any suggestions?

Alright for the vintage option I am going to say my Argus and the modern will be a rebel EOS kiss with a sigma 28-80 Macro. which one should we run?

Same scheme tried at photo.net crashed after several "Chain Cammies" went MIA. Lists got drawn up and cameras moved along but escalating postal charges over long distances and across borders doomed things. Signed up for several and never saw 'em.

The one we ran on Filmwasters went to 11 people in I think 4 different countries. Everyone got a turn.

Sometimes these work and sometimes they don't. I think keeping it as simple as possible is best, which probably includes using a camera that is not too heavy or complicated, and limiting it to a short list of people.

I also think we should consider each shooting a roll (let's say 24, not 36) or at least more than 1 or 2 shots each. I think the pictures will be better that way. Everyone takes a little time to get used to a different camera, so 24 exposures gives us time to get settled, experiment a little, and get a couple of keepers.

That could work but maybe the best way would be for six people to get six shots each on one roll. the idea of using one roll is to see how different people do different things on the same gear. Literately seeing how different people shoot

don't know, but If you send anything to me I will probably just keep it.. so pick out a nice camera for this and throw in some extra film...

for inspiration:

"What is twelve? Simple, 12 photographers each who share a passion for film photography, shooting a variety of formats, but for the purpose of this project, medium format, specifically on the Hasselblad.

In the modern digital world it has become very easy to shoot as many pictures as you like. Film slows you down, makes you think and helps you enjoy the moment more.

The idea behind this project is simple, 12 photographers, will take 12 photos, telling 12 stories on the same roll of film. No checking, no re-shots, no instant upload to Facebook....just one frame and a very long wait. How long? Who knows? This film will pass from Norway to the UK, to Ireland, and then over to the US.

Want to know more? Simply email or follow us on twitter using the link below."

twelve

We tried this on another board a few years ago. Only one of three rolls was ever developed & posted.

I probably still have a disposable 126 Instamatic around here that I would give up. At least it was only $5 US. if it get's lost.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back