vivitar v3800n

skeelar86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
good morning. so I have a few questions regarding film cameras if anyone could help. My girlfriend has expressed interest in shooting with film so for Christmas I'm trying to find her a decent film camera. I know that not very many company's still produce film cameras except Nikon and vivitar. The Nikon's are near impossible to get but the vivitars are still available. does any one have any experience with the vivitar v3800n or can anyone suggest other film cameras that I can't seem to find during my research. My budget Is around 300$ give or take I'd prefer to get her a new camera but am open to a vintage or used if its going to be better in the long run.
thank you

Hi. This two cameras are the same with only different mount and some external details. Made by Cosina, don't be fooled by the Nikon brand name. Or Vivitar. Vivitar is not a manufacturer, others make stuff sold by them.
How I said the main difference is the mount. Vivitar has Pentax K-mount so all the full frame lenses made by Pentax will work on this camera. Non of this cameras have auto focus and I believe both have simple light measuring capabilities with no any kind of program so the lens put on them need to have aperture ring. This is very good manual camera, well built (Cosina is good) and lasting. I bought one in 1990,(then it was v2000 - different look, still have it, still works, no problem. What's important is the lens. If you gonna get this combo:
Vivitar V3800N SLR 35mm Film Camera with 50/1.8 Lens (LOL actually the lens is 50/1.7 :thumbyo:)
you will be alright, this lens is good. In any case second hand lenses from Pentax are common and not too expensive, but they deliver.

thank you exactly what I was looking for

As an alternative, I suggest looking at Autofocus film cameras that use modern AF lenses. Manual lenses can be used via an adapter opening up a vast array of compatible lenses.
My DSLR cameras are Sony, so I have a small collection of Konica Minolta Maxxum film bodies that are compatible with the old Maxxum and many of the new Sony lenses. Using adapters allows the use on many manual lenses on my digital or film cameras.
Just my 2 cent worth.

Phil

I would submit that the Vivitar 3800 is a low-grade, clunky, clattery model that is in almost every way inferior to older, very expensive, high-end Nikon AF models made during the last days of the 35mm film mainstream era. VERY nice Nikons, like the F100, which used to cost a lot of money, are now being sold very affordably on the used market. KEH.COM is America's largest single used camera dealer/buyer. I would buy from KEH.COM myself. 35mm Film Cameras - Page 1 - Purchase - KEH Camera

For example a really nice, formerly top-of-the-line Nikon F3HP, manual focus body is $228 in EX condition. I own one of these....this is maybe the most-reliable "modern era" Nikon ever made in terms of longevity. But a much newer, 35mm autofocus model like the F100, for $248 in EX condition would be my suggested, exact, specific model. A bit of information, the tag "Surface sticky" on the F100; Nikon switched to a NEW type of outer body covering around the time of the N90 that came before the F100 model, and over the last decade or so, some of these cameras have developed a literally STICKY, tacky outer surface deterioration on the body covering...my N90s was FINE when I bought it used in 2001...but now///it's grown sticky, over about 13 years of just sitting around...this was one of those long-range things that took literally, years to develop. The sticky body covering really hurts the retail value of such cameras, but does not seem to hurt their functioning. I think it might be fun to custom-cover one of these sticky bodies with home-cut decorator duct tape, or lure tape, in some of the fun color patterns, like camo or whatnot.

As noted, the late model prosumer Nikon AF cameras--N90s/F90x/F100--are bargains, work with most AF and MF Nikon lenses, and totally outclass the chintzy Vivitar. An F100(or an N90s) and a 50/1.8AFD would be inside your budget. With all film gear now, especially for a first camera, I'd get the newest, highest quality gear you can afford

$300? Hell, I got a Hasselblad body and lens for that (minus back and finder). You can do WAY better than that cheapo Vivitar for that much. If she likes manual focus, you could go with an Olympus OM and have a big budget for film and processing. You could just buy a camera and a scanner too.

You guys as ever go over the top. :applause:
The guy has specific question and you project on him your fantasies.

thank you for all the feedback I really appreciate it. I guess what I'm looking for is a camera she can just have fun with on the side. she currently has a rebel 4 or 3 by canon which she loves. she just wants to try something new and shoot with real film as a side hobby.

...my N90s was FINE when I bought it used in 2001...but now///it's grown sticky,
Don't you have a duct tape laying somewhere around ?
thank you for all the feedback I really appreciate it. I guess what I'm looking for is a camera she can just have fun with on the side. she currently has a rebel 4 or 3 by canon which she loves. she just wants to try something new and shoot with real film as a side hobby.
Then fully manual camera will be a break from smarter than life "auto everything".

Most reactions

Back