Shadow photography (?)

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I have not really been into photography until now but photos taken by using shadow (shade?) are getting my attention lately.
I tried to search Google with the phrase "shadow photography" and could not really find good web sites about it.

What I would like to ask is (as I'm not a native English speaker), is "shadow photography" the correct title for it? If not could you suggest some terms so I could look for them?

For example, under which sub-category would the web sites about this topic be in this directory: Open Directory - Arts: Photography ?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/45/118544864_a53655443d_b.jpg

Above URL is a good example of what I'm interested in.

Thanks in advance.

I dont know what you would call it. The only thing i can thik of to do that would be photo shop.

I don't think it's photoshop. It looks to me like the photographer used his/her own shadow to hold the girls hand while taking the pic.

Easy enough to do without photoshop, but I don't know that this is done enough to actually have it's own category of photography...thus making it hard to search for.

Easy enough to do without photoshop, but I don't know that this is done enough to actually have it's own category of photography...thus making it hard to search for.

Agreed. I can't think of anything else you can do with it other than the example that was linked...

It's called "subtractive lighting."

Rather than adding light as we would in the studio, work in a outdoor shaded area where the light is all around (flat). Then, using gobos, trees, buildings, etc, subtract light to create soft, directional light falling on your subject.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

Are you talking about stuff like this? This is a pic of my soon to be baby-momma and a self portrait.

My best advice would be to just go out and give it a shot...you'll learn through mistakes....at least that's what I'm hoping I do! This was my first attempt at shooting shadows.

5614_737439627981_7008421_42343266_862362_n.jpg

5614_737439622991_7008421_42343265_5001913_n.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back