Shall I give up?

lucypaddydog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.courtneypoultry.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am fairly new at photography, and I ask my family what they think, ofcause they say 'Oh Lovely pics Mum, or I love your photos nan...' I wish some one I dont know would be a 'Simon Cowell' and point me in the right direction....
I am finding it hard to post pictures, I guess it will take some time for me to work it out, but in the meantime I put some snaps in my gallery

Giving up is for the weak. Don't give up, there are plenty of Simon Cowels here...:mrgreen:

Once you learn how to navigate here, you will be more comfortable and learn of ton from the constructive criticism.

Yeah, family isn't always the best place for objective critiquing, but that's why the internet is such a great place -- people can (and will) be brutally honest (or just brutal) with one another with little or no fear of repercussion. But remember, everyone starts somewhere. I look forward to seeing your pics. :)

Take a few moments and watch this : zarias.com :: The blog of editorial photographer Zack Arias Transform :: A short film for ScottKelby.com

You're in the same boat as the rest of us - welcome to photography :)

Let me put this to you - if you stop how can you ever get any better?
Also would Simon Cowell's viewpoint really be of that much worth to yourself? (ps I know you don't mean him exactly, but think on the general idea). Do please seek out the views of others, its well worth the effort and you can find some great and very helpfull people who can really open up a lot of creative doors with their advice. But keep your sanity and remember that you are shooting to please yourself and that at the end of the day the thoughts of random other people on the net is just the thoughts of others. Listen and take note, but don't ever think that any of us know it all :)

I had a look in your gallery here on TPF and whilst portrait work is not my area at all I have to say that I rather liked what I saw, I'm no expert but I think you should certainly not give up. Maybe a short breather - a step away from the camera and into something else if you feel that you just can't get things right and its frustraiting you to the point of distraction. But certainly don't give up

Last edited:
Thank you for your comments, you have made this little old lady happy, I will now go read up how to post a picture in this forum. Thanks again

I guess it comes down to why you do photography. Do you do it b/c you get enjoyment out of it regardless of whether or not it appeals to others, or do you do it for the accolades that come from others? I do it for the sheer joy of doing something I enjoy, of course it is always appreciated when you hear "that is a fantastic image" or similar. Would I keep doing it if I didn't hear that? You betcha, b/c I like seeing my own work on my walls even if no one bought it or complimented it.

Posting something here for critique is, at a certain level, very subjective. Anyone can look at an image and say, hmmmm, that horizon is tilted, or that picture is really out of focus. After you get the basics worked out though, critique really becomes more a matter of opinion rather than something concrete that everyone could agree on. Therefore, is there really a right or wrong in the art? Would Picasso have been known and famous if he put the eyes and ears where everyone else did?

As for posting an image, you can go to photobucket.com and open a free account and upload your images to their site for hosting. You need to make sure that your images are no bigger than approximately 600x800 and 72 dpi is plenty for web viewing. Photobucket gives you different tags that can be copied and inserted into the message that will make your picture magically appear on the forum. You are looking for the one that looks like this:
url]

to insert into your text. After that, hold on to your hat and get ready for what follows.

From the few of your photos that I looked at they weren't bad at all, definitely not a reason to give up anyway. Once you figure out how to post them in here properly, post just a few at a time and then we can all give you nice specific, constructive and honest feedback.

Dear Johnboy and Fokker, thank you for your comments, John boy you asked why I take photos, I take about 200 every day, this was the recommendation of my consultant, as a stroke survivor I have a memory problem, I cant remember detail, so I may remember I went to a party.... but I cant remember who I spoke to, who was there what was said what, and so on, so I was advised to take photo's and keep a diary. I have had the camera's I use for some time, but I still sometimes have problems remembering how to switch them, and I keep the manual handy... I have made up little poems to help with this like appature, when to have it open wide and when to have is small and so on. anyway to cut a long story short, I have found I love taking pictures, but I need them to have an emotion attached to them, if you understand what I mean, the better I can make them the better I will remember, anyway thanks so much for all your help about posting and the other thing you mentioned

Gotcha. That's a really good idea. So it serves a very practical purpose for you as well as appreciating that you took a nice image. I imagine that with shooting 200 pics a day, you don't edit many of them, and are looking to improve all you can so that it the image is the way you want it right out of the camera, yes? I think once you have a firm understanding of the interaction between ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed, you'll have made significant gains. The book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson would be very helpful if you don't already have it.

Wow, that's kind of intense, needing to take that many photos just for your own sanity. You know it could turn out to be a blessing in disguise for your abilities as a photographer - it is the aim of many pro photographers to capture emotion effectively; this is what sells the moment. If you can master it out of sheer necessity then you may will no doubt end up taking some truly fabulous pictures.

Winston Churchill

"success is moving from one failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"

just keep taking photos, having fun and the technical side will come as well as improvement in your images.

I enjoy taking photos. I enjoy sharing them with friends. I've shown some and sold some but I don't get much pleasure from that.

A local charity asked for some of my photos for an auction and they subsequently had my name on the list of "contributing artists". A local self-described artists call to tell me that no one considered me an artist. I laughed. I will admit a moment of schadenfruede when my photos sold well for the charity and all of her work went unsold.

I had a show and a couple of "expert" photographers wanted to tell me what they thought was wrong with my photos. When they finished I said, "They're selling." "Well, okay, people like them but they aren't any good." I can live with that.

My last observation. I had to select some prints for an auction and asked a close friend, who is a respected art dealer, to help me pick a few to submit. One print I had rejected was in the stack of prints and it was the first he selected. I point out the focus was a bit off, back-focused, and he shook his head and said, "That wouldn't matter to anyone but, maybe, another photographer."

So, take your photos and enjoy yourself. If some nitwit chooses to make negative comments just laugh and realize you're having a lot more fun with your life than he is.

gsgary, I have been trying out photobucket, but keep getting confused, anyway I have a few photos in this place Picasa Web Albums - lpbcourtney but when I have got photobucket sorted I will post some.
PatrickT, I will take photos, and thanks for your kind encouragement, I really dont mind the negative,
Ann, you are so right, thanks

DSC00020.JPG
If this works you should see a couple of photos
DSC09096.JPG

P2020231.JPG

Trip%20to%20Wales%20%28164%29.JPG

Will that do pbelarge? I tend to take snaps of anything and have thousands to choose from so I just got these off my picassa thing

Most reactions

New Topics

Back