Shooting Cats?

12 gauge. I'd love to shoot them better too.

Joe

If you posted this on my forum you'd have been banned for feline disrespect.

Which means you ultimately have a people problem.
BTW Where's braineack? I thought he was our in-house kitty expert :p

My friends in El Cerrito, CA also have this issue. They have idiot neighbors who don't spay/neuter their OUTDOOR cats and then wonder why their neighborhood is overrun by ferals.

My friends have caught and fixed over 10 strays now; they found a local vet who would do the service for free, the vet even provided them with the traps.

this is one of them enjoying a nice free dinner while recovering from a good ol ball snippin:

Feral Cat - El Cerrito, CA by The Braineack, on Flickr

I'd much rather have a feral cat problem than a feral chicken problem like they do in Miami.

and one more of the ferals, just because:

10371975_10101525054724916_6695559134431381531_n.jpg

There have been studies that show that killing them doesn't work.
Most people here will stop walking if a cat crosses the road in front of them, they'll just wait for someone else to walk over the imaginary line created by the kitty first, to avoid bringing bad luck.
In India, it is strongly believed that killing a cat brings very very bad luck; and I remember hearing stories in my childhood that you were supposed to donate gold to a purohit (holy man) weighing the same as the dead cat if you had killed a cat and want to evade bad luck. :meh:

Most people here will stop walking if a cat crosses the road in front of them, they'll just wait for someone else to walk over the imaginary line created by the kitty first, to avoid bringing bad luck.
In India, it is strongly believed that killing a cat brings very very bad luck; and I remember hearing stories in my childhood that you were supposed to donate gold to a purohit (holy man) weighing the same as the dead cat if you had killed a cat and want to evade bad luck. :meh:
So how much gold would it cost if you offed one of those feral chickens?

Lol

huh. That's very cool.

The city can't deal with them and the folks who let their cats run loose in the neighborhood and caused the problem aren't spending their weekends collecting them up and taking care of them.

Which means you ultimately have a people problem.

Absolutely. Irresponsible, ill mannered, selfish cat owners who cause the problem and won't correct their bad behavior.

Joe

Irresponsible, ill mannered, selfish [INSERT EVERY PROBLEM EVER] who cause the problem and won't correct their bad behavior.

Joe

FTFY.

Cool aftermath of the snipping' Braineack.
Cats are really smart. Felix seems to know if you are in aperture priority. He likes to give a lesson so to speak. 1/100th isn't getting it, Eddie, he seems to say.
felixblur_zpsba53520c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

He loves me but he does want to let me know who's in charge. "Hey Felix, come out and smile!" That usually brings him out of the jungle with his game face on.
serious_zpsea078568.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back to cats.

Sunlight and shadow by lambertpix, on Flickr

Like any other portrait, get on the subject's level, focus on the eyes, and experiment with posing / composition. Since cats don't take direction very well, your best bet is probably to let something else be more interesting to the cat than you are, and then shoot candids.

If you've got a macro lens, try a tight shot:

IMG_9932.jpg by lambertpix, on Flickr

This is obviously a missed-focus shot, but I kind of liked it:

IMG_9934.jpg by lambertpix, on Flickr

fwiw, cats make the worst models.

Love that last one, lambert! Reminds me of this one:

Day 88 - Blurry Zelda by limrodrigues, on Flickr

And yes, cats make terrible models. They'll be sitting all nice and pretty, not moving for ages, and then they wait until the second you're hitting the shutter to suddenly decide they feel like doing something else:

Day 313 - Mrs Parker 2 by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back