Should I buy the...

Mercury149

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Nikon D70? I have been looking around and it seems to be pretty good! Any other camera suggestions(under $1000)?

I'm getting a Canon EOS 350D :D So excited. Thats under $1000. I thought it looked better than the D70.

Check out the Olympus Evolt. I have the European version and it gives Nikon and Canon a run for the money.

In all the examples I've seen the Canon DSLRs have noticably less noise at higher ISOs and long exposure times.

this gets mentioned ALL the time. that nikon d70s (the upgraded version of the d70, which you can find for under 1000 pretty easily) got very good ratings. Like always, i would suggest going and getting a feel for the camera. If you like how it feels, go for it. Some people like the small size of the 350d, and some like the larger size of the d70 (personally I LOVE the look of the d70, but dont let just my opinion decide for you :D ). It's a very nice camera, either way. You may like nikons (or canons) set of lenses over the other brand though, and that may sway you. I know for a fact that the nikon kit lenses are much better than the kit lenses that come with the canon 350d or the 20d. The canons do have an advantage in the noise levels, though, as matt said. If you dont plan on doing much low light work, this shouldnt be a problem. here is a comparison between the two: http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD70versusRebelXT.shtml#sidebyside

I found that the d70 actually has better abilities than the 350d. the one thing that the 350d beats the d70 in is price, size (if that matters to you), and the low noise performance. I'd say go with the d70, personally. but again, it's entirely up to you ;)

Yeah, if you're going to use larger lenses handheld, then the 350d can be pretty unbalanced and awkward (even with the battery/grip)... I know several who have come across this problem. A small camera is great for many things but can be a problem in a few other areas.

Most reactions

Back