Should I get a mac or pc?

greenjackson16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a hard question i suppose, but could someone give me some advice on weather to get a mac or a pc? Right now I have a pc, and use it primarily for photo editing and surfing the web. I don't make money with photography now, but I would like to be able to easily do so if I needed to. Based on those things, do you think I should get a mac or pc? Thanks for the help
~ Jackson

That's like asking whether you should get a Ford or Chevy 4X4 for off roading. Or which is better Nikon/Canon. I think both will do great jobs with photo edits and accounting/business software. It just depends on which programs you are comfortable with and where you plan on investing your money. I have heard that mac can be superior over PC's but for tonnes of others they hate Macs because they had one it broke, and had to wait for a service appointment. Tonnes of PC owners have said the exact same thing. Really both get it done and one is much much cheaper.

For all you use it for, I don't think it matters what you get.

That's like asking whether you should get a Ford or Chevy 4X4 for off roading. Or which is better Nikon/Canon. I think both will do great jobs with photo edits and accounting/business software. It just depends on which programs you are comfortable with and where you plan on investing your money. I have heard that mac can be superior over PC's but for tonnes of others they hate Macs because they had one it broke, and had to wait for a service appointment. Tonnes of PC owners have said the exact same thing. Really both get it done and one is much much cheaper.

Agreed except for the part about one being cheaper. In the long run, I don't believe PCs are any cheaper unless you are a computer head and don't mind fixing your computer. Which by the way is a loss of higher income. I make more money shooting than I would lose by paying someone else to fix my Mac if I ever had a problem which I have never had.

My main concern here is what system are you used to. And since you have had PCs, stick with them. Moving to a Mac will require some new learning, again, a waste of time in my opinion, now that there is no difference worth talking about in the way they use the software anymore.

I bought an iMac back in January and love it. I had been a PC household up until now, and I cannot see myself going back. I will likely always use PCs (for work), but at home I am a Mac guy now.

The best things that you use it.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Do yourself a favour and don't buy a Mac for photo editing. Buy a Mac if you love using Macs. They are operating systems and thus completely irrelevant to photo editing on the whole. The major software players in the photography industry release software for both platforms.

Borrow a mac, go to an apple store and play with a mac. Do everything you would normally do on a mac like surf the net, read emails, etc. Then decide if you like a mac. OSX is a very different beast to Windows when it comes to how it is used.

I recommend Mac to anyone considering the switch. You probably don't need one and they are expensive at first. Then there's a learning curve too. Yes, I recommend a Mac because it's more exciting than "saving a bundle on your car insurance", to sum it up.

Go here: 3393 Peachtree Road NE Atlanta, GA 30326 or here: 4400 Ashford Dunwoody Road Atlanta, GA and give the Mac's a try and see if you like the OS. Hardware is hardware, some is better and some is worse. The only difference between a Windows machine and a Mac is the operating system.

One reason for the price difference between a Mac and a Windows machine is in what the OS is designed to work with. The OS on a Mac is configured to work with certain hardware in the machine whereas a Windows is written to work with any piece of hardware on the market be it a good device or crap. Having used both for the last 25 + years, Mac machines, from my experience, tend to be more stable with less issues. Software however, especially for a gamer has been somewhat limited. Mac's can be setup to boot into windows, providing gamers either platform to work with.

Give the Mac a try, if you like it great, if you don't great. It comes down to what you like and want to use. They both will do the job.

I got a 15" macbook pro that's the more "tricked out one" with a better ram and such, and it performs BEAUTIFULLY when editing. I can jump between ps and lr and alot of intensive editing, and it never freezes. It's a workhorse, that for sure.

Regards,
Jake

This is one of those topics that's like a turd that won't flush. Canon or Nikon? Chevy or Ford? PC or Mac?

The bottom line: A mac is more expensive, it's like not having a Manual Mode on your camera but Av and Tv modes work better, by its default settings it is more protected than a PC and there are less people trying to hack them.

It does all the same stuff a PC does, but there are somewhat less options when it comes to programs. If you haven't used one or the other it probably won't matter. If you've used a PC (or mac) all your life it's going to be an awkward switch, but you will get used to it.

So the bottom line, just like with buying a camera, find out what features you want, then go play touchy/feely with both and pick the one that works best for you.

Last edited:
funny thing everyone with a PC saying that mac's have less software. i have had a mac for the last 3 years and have no issues finding software for it. back in the day they had issues with software but now all mainstream software is made for both. we are a dual household, have pc's for the kids and getting ready to replace wifes 4yr old toshiba with a macbook. so i can speak both sides. while mac's might be more expensive up front there are a few advantages. about 6 months after getting my macbook the bezel around the screen started to separate a little. i took it to the local store and no hesitation they overnighted it to the repair facility and replaced the entire scree portion of the macbook. total time with out a laptop was 2 days. my wifes toshiba had HD issues a month after getting it, kept freezing up. well the only support they gave was over the phone and told me to restore from the HD. well i could not access the HD. my only solution was to buy a copy of win 7 and just start fresh. so yeah im a little biased on the Apple vs PC thing but the way they treat you i will never talk bad about them.

funny thing everyone with a PC saying that mac's have less software. i have had a mac for the last 3 years and have no issues finding software for it. back in the day they had issues with software but now all mainstream software is made for both. we are a dual household, have pc's for the kids and getting ready to replace wifes 4yr old toshiba with a macbook. so i can speak both sides. while mac's might be more expensive up front there are a few advantages. about 6 months after getting my macbook the bezel around the screen started to separate a little. i took it to the local store and no hesitation they overnighted it to the repair facility and replaced the entire scree portion of the macbook. total time with out a laptop was 2 days. my wifes toshiba had HD issues a month after getting it, kept freezing up. well the only support they gave was over the phone and told me to restore from the HD. well i could not access the HD. my only solution was to buy a copy of win 7 and just start fresh. so yeah im a little biased on the Apple vs PC thing but the way they treat you i will never talk bad about them.

I've been using macs since the early 1990's. For imaging, video and surfing macs are great.

If you want to do any actual work (take a look at CAD/CAM and MRP software) you'll want to go with a PC. Corporate America doesn't run on a mac, it runs on PCs. That's just the way it is.

The mac fanbois will always tell you there's a work around to do whatever you need to do but like bubble-gum and bailing wire, you can only rig things so much before you start getting failures.

Not saying one way or another, just putting facts out there so the OP can make an informed decision.

odd, i use autocad for mac to draw up print for my woodworking. now that my student license is about to run out im just going to use sketchup. yes most of corporate america is still stuck on PC's but apple is slowly changing that. my wifes hospital she works at uses imac's at all the work stations. they even have a few ipads floating around testing for going paperless. a few of the big hospitals are already doing it and its starting to spread out to others. im not going to fight mac or pc but a lot of the old arguments are just not valid anymore. one of the biggest is that there are no viruses on the mac. that is not true, there are a few big ones out now but again. instead of apple standing back and letting someone take care of it they actually put out a patch to address the virus.

Most reactions

Back