Should I give up now!?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by lopster99, Jul 30, 2008.

1. lopster99

lopster99 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey everyone. My name is Dennis i been a member here looking through the forums for a few months although this is my first actual post here.

I just bought an Olympus E-500 kit. I have no idea what im doing to be honest i just gather what information i can get from these forums. I must say that most of what i hear people talking about here sounds foreign to me! Well here is a picture I took, again im new so tell me what I can do to improve my picture if you can.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27508996@N02/2717908523/

Thanks everyone!

Dennis

2. lopster99

lopster99 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  3. crashcart

crashcart TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm learning about everything right now...I barely have an idea what I'm doing. But your thread title is awful. If you enjoy photography then why would you give it up? The only person that the photo really needs to please is you...unless you're a wedding photographer.

4. Crazydad

Crazydad No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    So true. A lot of the folks on this forum are incredibly talented and it can be intimidating, but I'm definitely learning that it takes patience and practice.

I just recently got into real photography and while my shots are not even close to some the others on here (and probably never will be), having them critique my photos has helped because it makes me think of things I never did before (like composition, lighting, colors, etc.).

5. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit
    I say yes.

If you hate yourself so much that you buy a camera kit worth several hundred dollars, then beat yourself up just because you don't know how to use it yet, then you should probably give up.

or.... Accept that it takes time to learn photography and keep at it.

Your choice.

6. Heck

Heck TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Baby steps and get a book and read everything you can get your hands on. On a side note. Whats with the war birds in your flicker? Looks like your under attack!

7. bigalbest

bigalbest TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've seen worse pictures for a first post. Photography is about not giving up, so hang in there.

8. dklod

dklod TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    giving up is not an option with anything in life, even more so this. Its not like learning to fly a 747, or becoming a neurosurgeon, photography to me is a personal thing, and to get results that you like takes time and patience and if you want to please others, knowing the basics helps. And considering you just bought a new camera, I highly recommend you keep at it. I'll let the experts critique your photo, I just wanted to get inside your head.

9. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey Dennis,

breathe in - breathe out. Good! Okay, let me first say that there is nothing wrong with that image. Your comp looks good which is the most important part of photography (other then focus, but that is another story). Anyways, you should just take a pek at individuals' first images they posted here, you will get a chuckle.

10. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For a first post it is terrible. As was said you need to read all you can and, dont frustrate yourself. It is a common ailment in beginners.

11. lopster99

lopster99 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks everyone for the replies. I was just kidding about giving up, I wouldn't do that its just not easy at all. I read the manual for the camera read through the forums and it's hard to understand alot of these things i hear!

The helicopters are from Bethlehem PA, where they shot the new transformers movie. But that camera was just a really old Olympus that i had before i bought the new camera

12. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, what information are you having trouble understanding?

F-stops ?
    Exposure ?
    Shutter speed ?

Perhaps some of us here can be of assistance and break it down for ya