Sigma 50mm f1.4

Its a alrge lens for a 50mm, and cost a lot!
Although it does have 1 aspherical element, which is a plus!

It sounds like it sets a new benchmark for 50mm. Compitition from the third party manufacturers is a good thing. It does seem interesting. I prefer the heavier lenses. I seem to be a tad more steady with them. (up to a certain point anways), not saying that I am steady hand holding my Sigma 50-500. I would love to hear some "real world" feedback on this lens.

The specs of this lens are phenomenal. Props to DP Review for recognizing it as a new development. I disagree with the review on one poin though: I think the price is good, because by everything I'm reading it should not be compared to Canon's f/1.4, but rather it's f/1.2 L - and in that price comparison it is the more affordable version, by a large margin.

The specs of this lens are phenomenal. Props to DP Review for recognizing it as a new development. I disagree with the review on one poin though: I think the price is good, because by everything I'm reading it should not be compared to Canon's f/1.4, but rather it's f/1.2 L - and in that price comparison it is the more affordable version, by a large margin.

The canon 50mm 1.2L only offers an advantage over the 1.4 from wide open to about f/2.5, the sigma offers pretty much the same advantage for a fraction of the price.

If you compare those really cool interactive graphs side by side, Sigma 1.4, and Canon 1.4, the sigma basically blows the canon away from f/1.4-f/4.

I already have a canon 50mm 1.4, but If I were buying another 50mm the extra $175 might be well spent on the sigma especially I you often shoot with large apertures. I shot a band one night and never stopped down past f/2.5. It was that dark.

Nice job sigma!

Iron's right this lens competes with the 50mm 1.2L not the 1.4. If sigma keeps up this quality, pro's will be swearing by "ex" lenses just as much a "L"

Two things that bother me...

1) Why is DPreview then comparing it to the f/1.4 and not the f/1.2L canon 50mm?
2) Why is Sigma producing a 50mm prime in a world currently dominated by APS-C sized sensors? The 50mm is not a "normal" lens on those sensors but a mild telephoto. A better market decision would have been in the 35mm prime range. A oversight that many companies have made since adopting cameras with small sensors.

OK, what did I miss? We looked at the same test results right? From what I saw I didn't think it was very good. Or what did I miss?

Here's the results compared to the Nikon: http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews...sreviews/widget/LensReviewConfiguration.xml?3

And as compared to the Canon: http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews...sreviews/widget/LensReviewConfiguration.xml?3

<shrug>

Last edited:
On the full frame, the sigma 50mm looks like crap near the edges...like not just bad, like crap. Is canon's 50mm like that too? At F/1.4 I mean
EDIT:
I just did a comparison to the charts, sigma wind in sharpness until canon stops down to F/3.5..

Canon gets full "blue" sharpness 99% blue about F/4.5 and sigma is same about F/8... At F/11 canon is full blue and sigma has most green and some blue in center...

Actually, I am impressed by these...the sharpness compared to canon at full open

Last edited:
Two things that bother me...

1) Why is DPreview then comparing it to the f/1.4 and not the f/1.2L canon 50mm?
2) Why is Sigma producing a 50mm prime in a world currently dominated by APS-C sized sensors? The 50mm is not a "normal" lens on those sensors but a mild telephoto. A better market decision would have been in the 35mm prime range. A oversight that many companies have made since adopting cameras with small sensors.

I think the answer to number 1 is that it was just an oversight, they just naturally chose to compare it to other 1.4 lenses, it also falls more in that price range. Plus Because the sigma exceeded expectation, they would not have known to compare it with the 1.2L in the first place.

2)Sigma already has a 30mm 1.4 in their EX lineup, very similar in quality and price.

Your looking at the sigma on a full frame and the Nikon and Canon on crop sensors. check out the sigma on a crop sensor, it wins hands down wide open.

Actually I think it It still kicks butt on a full frame.

I'm kind of on the fence on this one.

I'm not sure if this sigma is almost $200 better then the nikon f/1.4.

If nikon makes a 50mm AF-S, then i'd get that instead if it's in the same price ballpark. No way i'm I paying more then $550 for a 50mm.

Why is Sigma producing a 50mm prime in a world currently dominated by APS-C sized sensors? The 50mm is not a "normal" lens on those sensors but a mild telephoto. A better market decision would have been in the 35mm prime range. A oversight that many companies have made since adopting cameras with small sensors.
Didn't they already do that? http://[URLSigma AF 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM, Photozone review, The Digital Picture review.

P.S.: Here is the Photozone review of the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 that is the subject of this thread:
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/392-sigma_50_14_canon

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back