Size for lightstand and umbrella

Kcc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wondering, what's the size of umbrella or softbox and what lenght of lightstand you uses or like to use?

I ordered a 7.75' lightstand, but thinking of getting a 36'' or 43'' umbrella with it. Gonna use it on a SB-900, what's your suggestion?

What size softbox would you use for a SB-600?

Thx in advance.

Kcc

I got 6' lightstands to start with because I liked the way compacted and would fit the bag I had (and because I didn't know any better :)). I will get at least 8' stands on the next purchase.

My umbrellas are a 43" shoot through and a 45" reflective. I recently got a 15" softbox that sits on a fash flip bracket (can be used on a stand also). The SB900 is more powerful than my SB800's, but I've been told/have read that flashes really can't take the large softboxes.

How do you like the SB900?

Oi, never diffuse that SB-900. Zoom that puppy to 200mm for super punchy light!!! (I'm kidding, but I'm jealous of that 200mm zoom.)

If you're using a softbox, probably best to use the 900 with it and not the 600; more's the better. Softboxes eat light.

I thought softbox eat less light because it's full covered with silver reflective inside the box. Guess I am wrong.

The softbox I am getting is a really small one tho, 8" x 9" LumiQuest Softbox III, guess that works on the SB-600?

The SB-900 is a beast, I rarely uses 1/1 of output, maybe because I don't have an umbrella yet? Not even out door I need it 1/1 to power out the sun (Direct flash).

I am looking for reflective umbrella, so I should be getting a 45" umbrella for the SB-900?

Kcc

Different sizes for different things. Like anything else, 1 size doesn't fit all.

You need a different size for head shots than for full body shots. If you're shooting more than 1 person you need something else.

7.75 feet is a bit limiting, particularly if you wind up outside. Get the bigger umbrella. It's better to have to big, than not big enough.

And yes, that 200 mm zoom on the SB-900 is sweet, but I can do almost the same with a SB-600, a hunk of cereal box and some gaffers tape to make a snoot. :lol:

www.strobist.com Great online resource for Minimalist OCF. Or get the book Minimalist Lighting by Kirk Tuck.

I did made a honeycomb for my 600, but the glue doesn't seems to stay and the strew is falling out, I think I have to glue it again.

Ok, I know what you mean, different size, different usage. I guess I will try out one size first, and get more later on to see the different. The umbrella cost more than the lightstand =.=; step by step buying for me is needed.

Kcc

I don't think there is really all that much difference between umbrellas sizes...unless we're talking very large vs very small. An umbrella spreads the light out pretty wide...so if you have a smaller one, you can just back it up a little bit. Of course, as you back up, it gets slightly harder and you need more power.

Light stands: It really depends what you are doing it it. It's nice to have the option to go higher but those big stands will not fold down as small, which might be an issue if you are traveling with it. There is also size/build. I've got some pretty sturdy stands but they are a lot heavier than the my smaller stands. Air cushioned stands are nice (just in case you accidentally undo a knob and let the light fall) but they aren't a necessity, especially for something small like a hot-shoe flash.

As for softboxes...bigger is usually better, but with a flash head like this, you probably don't want a 4 foot by 6 foot box.

Softboxes and umbrellas eat light. That's the price you pay for getting softer light.

I did made a honeycomb for my 600, but the glue doesn't seems to stay and the strew is falling out, I think I have to glue it again.
Well, my latest order arrived yesterday. I got another refurbed SB-800 (woot) and this kit of David Honl light modifiers. Hopefully I'll be able to find time to play around with it this weekend. I know, I know..... not all that cheap. I've done the DIY too and they do work....... for a while. They also look like crap. A good first impression in the eye of a potential client is priceless.

Here's another link for grids that seems to be pretty good and was given a thumbs up with experience on another forum.

I use the Westcott 43" umbrellas because they're collapsible. They fold up to a very small size and are a good size for speed lights.

Yes, I have been looking at the westcott 43" also, they are pretty expensive in Canada. They are doing like 50 or 60 CND, that's 2 westcott in the US already.

Gratz to kundalini on your SB-800! I will be sticking with my DIY grids for now, way too much for the David Honl Kit for now. :er:

Yes to BigMike, I did order the Air Cushioned light stand, the most compact one Manfrotto has so far with a height of 7.75'. I haven't really gets into softbox yet, but to try out what I got so far, than I will know what I should be getting next.

Thx again for all the info.

Kcc

Most reactions

New Topics

Back