so.... i took a short break from shooting.

you guys probably noticed I disappeared for a bit. Also dumped the electronics tv, internet and everything else for about a month or so.

Thought my attitude might improve with a little break.
it didn't.

I still cant seem to find much im interested in shooting and my attitude still generally sucks.

Still taking family photos, other than that Im not seeing much else I have a interest in.

just most things I think of shooting, seem more a wasted of time than anything to me right now. I look at it, then just keep moving.

went to a car show a couple weeks ago. Had my camera. A guy asked me if I was shooting the cars in the show. it occurred to me I hadn't taken a single photo of a car. So I told him no, I didn't really care if I had photos of the cars.

skipping by on abstracts too now.

just not finding anything I really want to shoot or care to have a photo of.

All I'm gonna ask you is: are you happy? I'm not asking if you're happy about the shots you've been taking or if you're happy about photography or if you're even happy with picking up a camera. Because the answer to those questions is already obvious. I'm asking if you're just happy in general. If your outlook on life, is similar to the way you're viewing photography right now then of course you're going to think that everything is a bother. If you're not happy with your life, you're not doing what you love. You took a step back, that's good. But I think you need to take a bigger step back. Give yourself more time to try and figure out what the real problem is. ;)
some family/financial stuff to sort through. about it. NOthing really to do with photography.

Last edited:
That could be anything very hard to tell it's a car, where is the nice lighting ?

It's a headlight and says Jaguar. I thought it was nicely lit.

I shot a Jag the other week but i tried to add a bit of humour so it was not just about a boring car

291-XL.jpg

it is better with the dog and hood up for sure. Makes it at least something different.

the dog is a good touch to the photo.

If you aren't interested in photography anymore, why do it? Theres a reason you keep picking your camera back up.

If not, sell all your gear, and find a new hobby.

I have like 6 hobbies, so I never get bored. I hop back and forth and keep things fresh.

Same here. Sorry to hear your in a funk man. Maybe try something else for a while? Don't sell your gear and go crazy, but stow it away and try another hobby.

Hope you don't leave photography for ever!

Jake

OP...sounds like you need a different hobby.

I would say photography is an art. Art can be inspiration. It inspires some people to try something new (someone looks at a photo and says I want to go there or do that). It inspires memory of different times that I was interested in and renews my interest in that subject (hiking, cars, computers, etc.). Maybe you aren't capturing images to capture them. You are capturing them so later you can look at them and remember where you were, what you were doing and who you were. These 3 things could inspire you to change.

If you were to stop taking your photos you may stop capturing memories. You as a photographer for your family is helping you and others capture memories of the time you were together. You may not see it now but you may miss it later if you don't have something to look back on. I take photos to share with others and myself, what I was doing, where I was, and who I was. Otherwise I can see what you mean, there is no reason. Maybe you need to find a reason. Progression pushes people along. Sadly progression also provides friction. You are still progressing you just have some serious friction and need to find the next thing to spark your interest.

I would say keep taking photos, but look at other peoples work, study a photographer and his work and try to copy it. You will find you learn something new and this might inspire you to keep trying something new :).

I hope you can find that spark soon. I definitely remember you being around more often.

Da funky funk! It's rotten. Sorry to hear you're in one. I kind of guessed something like that before you left, just from a couple interactions with you and reading your posts. I'm with Derrel, sit down with your doc after a complete physical and talk. See a counselor too, if needed. Many of us out here have. **** just builds up, ya gotta get it out. Mine was bad after second surgery, coming to grips with my mortality. Scary stuff. Anxiety was a killer for me, panic attacks mainly. Nothing seemed worthwhile, didn't leave the house. Learning to live with constant pain was the toughest part. Tried Lexapro, Abilify, settled on first-generation Paxil for about a year. Helped tremendously! The others made me super nauseous. I'm a sensitive guy with a sensitive system, don't ya know!

Feel free to PM, and keep posting. Good luck!!

Well, somehow I cut out a paragraph! I added that what helped get me out of it was thinking of, and putting 1st, my health. They've sawed on me, drilled on me, cut on me, hammered on me, x-rayed me and nucleated me. Could hardly walk after the second back surgery. Through a LOT of pain, I rehabbed until I could walk about 2 miles every day! It keeps me going, and keeps my back from hurting as much. Just when I was about back to as normal as I was gonna get, bam! The shoulder replacement! In bed another month! But yet again, I'm rehabbing and have almost 50% movement back. They've told me not to expect 100% back from it, but what do they know?! I'm going for all of it! So a good day for me, is walking my 2 miles, then shoulder therapy, then a couple of hours out at the refuge or wherever for some shooting. My health is the most important thing, physical and mental. It feels good to know that I didn't just lay back and accept being disabled. Hell, I can walk, man!! And still move my limbs! Life is good!!

My point is, only you can decide your own happiness. No one can do it for you. But make sure the playing field is level........... get a physical and talk to someone.

If you aren't interested in photography anymore, why do it? Theres a reason you keep picking your camera back up.

If not, sell all your gear, and find a new hobby.

I have like 6 hobbies, so I never get bored. I hop back and forth and keep things fresh.

Reminds me, I've not used my Hund Wetzlar microscope in almost a year :( my dufflecoat obsession tones down during the summer. I've run out of room for shoes. I rarely shoot for fun anymore. Much of the time I use my iphone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back