SO, you just got a new DSLR.

Kerbouchard is now as dense as skeiur... Congratulations.

Last time I was tested, my IQ test came back at 168... If you want to call that dense, that is up to you. Most people probably wouldn't.

Kerbouchard said:
Last time I was tested, my IQ test came back at 168... If you want to call that dense, that is up to you. Most people probably wouldn't.

You are a part of Mensa then I assume?

My uncle is part of them but he's also a college professor so he's poor as hell. Ha.

I think my IQ is something like 115 lol

Congrats, I too have a high IQ. The problem with IQ tests is that they do not test or score RATIONAL thought, which is what your arguments lack.

Kerbouchard said:

You are a part of Mensa then I assume?

My uncle is part of them but he's also a college professor so he's poor as hell. Ha.

I was a few years ago. I didn't keep up my dues. I'll probably rejoin at some point since I enjoyed the tanks, but it wasn't an expense I could justify at the time.

Congrats, I too have a high IQ. The problem with IQ tests is that they do not test or score RATIONAL thought, which is what your arguments lack.

IMO, my argument is entirely rational. The OP makes overly broad statements which are easily disproven...which is what I did.

Yes, I took the statements in the OP literal and called them out as false, which they were. For me, there never really has been a grey area.

It's always been fact or fiction. This OP happened to be fiction.

IMO, my argument is entirely rational. The OP makes overly broad statements which are easily disproven...which is what I did.

Yes, I took the statements in the OP literal and called them out as false, which they were. For me, there never really has been a grey area.

A rational person would realize that nearly everything falls within some sort of gray area. If this weren't the case, then AI wouldn't focus so heavily on fuzzy logic. Just something to think about.

A rational person would realize that nearly everything falls within some sort of gray area. If this weren't the case, then AI wouldn't focus so heavily on fuzzy logic. Just something to think about.

I never said that I was completely rational...just that I was right.

Yes, I took an overly broad post at it's word, disproved it, and then perhaps even made fun of it a bit.

This isn't about being rational...The post is just stupid.

Last edited:
Every photographer needs a flash...period. Without one, a photographer is limited and it has nothing to do with specialized types of photos, whatever that means. And saying a kit lens is sufficient is borderline moronic.

A kit lens is not sufficient, and not having a flash will limit any new photographer. Honestly, if you can't understand that, I don't think we can have an intelligent conversation.

Even those damn landscape photographers?

Every photographer needs a flash...period. Without one, a photographer is limited and it has nothing to do with specialized types of photos, whatever that means. And saying a kit lens is sufficient is borderline moronic.

A kit lens is not sufficient, and not having a flash will limit any new photographer. Honestly, if you can't understand that, I don't think we can have an intelligent conversation.

Even those damn landscape photographers?

I think some landscape photographers can benefit from a flash, but all of them benefit from a tripod and filters. They also greatly benefit from lenses that are wider or longer than a traditional kit lens.

Heny Cartier-Bresson never used a flash, or so I've been told. He thought thats impolite.

If you are new to photography, and you see this list as a sticky, wouldn't the rational thing to do be look at this list as a straight forward guide and not a "sometimes this may be true" list?
The OP isn't even true most of the time.

If you are new to photography, and you see this list as a sticky, wouldn't the rational thing to do be look at this list as a straight forward guide and not a "sometimes this may be true" list?
The OP isn't even true most of the time.

But insisting that skill has nothing to do with is and gear has everything to do with it is wrong. It's a mixture of both. A better skilled photographer can usually get away with using gear that isn't as good or doesn't have the features. Do you really need a Canon 5D MKIII to do HDR photos since it has a feature that does it in camera? Kerby's argument would state yes. If that's the case, how come people have been doing HDR photos for a far longer period of time than cameras with built in features have been out. Just like someone that has a bit of skill doesn't necessarily need a tripod for long exposure shots. They can most likely find something else to steady the camera with. Gear does make a difference. Skill also makes a difference. A skilled photographer with better gear that knows about posing and keeping their subjects comfortable will do better with portraiture than a noob that has $30,000 in gear and no prior experience shooting people.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back