Software needed for RAW

Robbie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What software do I need to properly convert and enhance RAW files ?

I've never used RAW before, but feel ready for it.

Currently i've got a free software programme called 'Gimp', and that's it. My computer doesn't even recognise RAW files at the moment so there's obviously something missing.

Any help would be great, thanks. :thumbup:

You need a special RAW converter. You camera should actually come with one. If not there's some packages like Adobe Lightroom which can read RAW files.

Heres some others. Ignore the version numbers it's an older list.
Bibble Pro v4.9d
Helicon Filter v4.5
Silkypix v3.03
DxO Optics Pro v4.1
Silverfast DCPro v6.5.0r3a
LightZone v3.0
Raw Therapee v2.1.1
ACDSee Pro

I don't know of any plugins for GIMP that could do it though.

What kind of camera do you have?
My canon came with the software digital photo professional 2.0.
My Nikon did not come with it and i had to buy the software. (cant remember what its called).

Hope this helps,

Really? well, i will have to get that then.
Thanks for the tip

Thanks for the replies,

So it looks like i'll need photoshop elements + adobe lightroom ? That may total to £200, which I just can't afford at the moment. So it looks like i'll be sticking with JPEG.

Thankyou anyway.

Photoshop elements 5.0 will work for you just fine. It reads and allows you to process RAW files and then you can convert them to jpg after you process.

If you have a Canon camera it comes with an OEM supplied RAW converter program named DPP (Digital Photo Professional). The latest version is quite good and also has JPEG processing. You can download it from Canon for free.

Gary

if you have nikon, you can dowload the software necessary from their website.

also, pisca2 will work with raw files and you can make minor adjustments easily, and it's free

Ok, thanks once again guys, things are much more clear. :thumbup:

What kind of camera do you have?
My canon came with the software digital photo professional 2.0.
My Nikon did not come with it and i had to buy the software. (cant remember what its called).

Hope this helps,

I have a Nikon to and the software is called "NikonCapture 4.4" and it costs $99 to buy. There are some free ones out there though IrfranView for one, it is by no means as good as Adobe Lightroom but I mean Lightroom is $299!!! so a freebie is fine with me.

Here is some software that is similar to photoshop. I found this for a friend of mine and it seems like a great program. I dont use it so I cant say for sure but check it out. Its free! http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/PhotoPlus/ Let me know if it does raw file conversion. I honestly dont know but its definitely worth a try.

That is the old version of there software released in 1999. You can buy the new one for $80. Personally I would try GIMP it is a lot better in my opinion then PhotoPlus if you need an image editor. I am not sure if it opens RAW files though. I am sure there is a plugin out there for it seeing as it is an Open Source project.

when i made the switch a few months ago, i downloaded rawshooter essentials for free somewhere. so far i have no complaints!

when i made the switch a few months ago, i downloaded rawshooter essentials for free somewhere. so far i have no complaints!

Ya it is a great program, to bad it won't be updated. Stupid Adobe bought the company out. You can read about it if you try to go to the rawshooter website. That pissed me off.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back