Some input on this portrait.

Brian L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
brianlinephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone! I would like to know your thoughts on this portrait I did of a friend. She let me take some shots to practice what not. Give me some input on the photo. Creative not. Neat shot. So forth. Thanks guys. I want to know if I am improving.

CC.jpg

I'll provide my opinion. Keep in mind, I am not as experience or critical as many on here.

Like the warm colors.

She should be a little off of the wall. At least that is feedback I see a lot of.

Smooth lighting, feminine pose.

Slightly boring to me though. Might need stronger catchlights. I always use the dodge tool on the eyes to bring them out. Otherwise good job.

it's a good photograph, hair matching the jacket and stone in the background.
but a little dull, too straight on, i would like to see some creative angles, perhaps a tilt. lighting is a little cold.
if you have others from this session perhaps you could post those.

Her forehead and the light gray of the wall are are practically in the same zone.

Try masking her out and lowering the exposure of the wall a bit for better separation. Once you've done that try a warming filter.

Overall a good effort though.

Pop the colors a bit via layers. I think you will like the results.

Very nice photo! I think your model blends a little into the background. I think the colours of the wall or of the model, need to be strengthened a little.. Just to give it more of a Wow factor. But overall, I like the basic approach.

A nice safe portrait. Could use some more color and pop.
Nice photo.

Hey sorry guys got busy the last couple of days so couldn't get back on here. Thanks for the info on everything. I will play with a bit more with some of your input. Benn what do you mean pop with layers a bit. I have not herd of that before... Thanks

Technically its ok. Artistically could be more improved (maybe different angle, more insteresting pose, action etc..)
IMHO

Hello everyone! I would like to know your thoughts on this portrait I did of a friend. She let me take some shots to practice what not. Give me some input on the photo. Creative not. Neat shot. So forth. Thanks guys. I want to know if I am improving.

CC.jpg

I find the mid-thigh cropping uncomfortable and the signature bar only makes it more distracting.

The soft lighting is, in general, effective but the total lack of any catchlight in the eyes leaves an overly dull and lifeless impression. A small, slightly off camera light source, quite possibly a flash, dim enough to only provide slight highlights (e.g. shine on the lips, highlights on the skin, ...) would do much to provide some direction in the lighting and the needed catchlight.

Most reactions

Back