TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Taken with Vivitar 400mm on Canon EF, ASA 400
210884_008_K400_03_09_1.jpg

Bad lighting here but still, First time I had a chance to get one of our local beavers so I took it.

Such is the life of the wildlife photographer - ever though of having a flash for some fill flash support for situations like this? With a good diffuser on it plus a bit of flash exposure compensation (-2/3 power sort of area) you can get a nice bit of fill light without dominating the shot.

The concentric circles in the water are interesting...surrounding the main subject like a 'halo' of sorts

hahaha u brat
cute :p

Thanks, personally I love natural things like beavers.

Such is the life of the wildlife photographer - ever though of having a flash for some fill flash support for situations like this? With a good diffuser on it plus a bit of flash exposure compensation (-2/3 power sort of area) you can get a nice bit of fill light without dominating the shot.

The first time you suggested that to me it was a little more practicle as I was only thirty some odd feet from the subject, but in this case I do not see it being of any real conciquence being as this one was shot in eccess of a hundred and twenty feet. Additionally the Sync speed for this body is too slow for my predominate use of this lens (that being handheld). Wile I can shoot that lens handheld at 1/125, I perfer not to if at all possible. That is why a great many of my 400mm shots turn out under exposed, I try to push my luck with a shorter exposure than technically required.

The concentric circles in the water are interesting...surrounding the main subject like a 'halo' of sorts

I thought so too ;)

I know the feeling about pushing at the exposure - I find that I end up like that when I try my 70-200mm + 2*TC and I need to be at f8 for decent sharpness - plus with that combo I really can't afford to just boost ISO as the noise then kills the details.
1/125 is rather slow for flash though the effect of flash should (in theory) freeze the motion at any rate and for fill your not commonly using fullpower so you can get away with smaller charges and thus quicker recovery. IT might also help counter some of the handshake - or you could take to using a monopod to help you at the slower speeds
Something like a better beamer attachment would be ideal for telephoto work - I have seen them used with bird photography and the long lenses (its the UK here we get lots and lots of grey sky ;))

Most reactions

New Topics

Back