sony a77

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy shot? Those dogs are relatively small and very fast. I wouldn't say it was an 'easy' shot. Timing that shot with the delay of live view (even if small delay) would be difficult.

This dog is faster. Notice the sharpness.

Ontherun2.jpg

As I said previously, an easy shot for a Sony camera.

skieur

An easy shot for almost ANY AF system...the only moving target visible against a field of pure white snow...wow...an easy shot for a Nikon, or Canon, or Pentax, or Olympus!!!

Well, you can't have it both ways. Not exactly any speed focus problem with the Sony, eh?

skieur

This dog is faster. Notice the sharpness.

Ontherun2.jpg

As I said previously, an easy shot for a Sony camera.

skieur

An easy shot for almost ANY AF system...the only moving target visible against a field of pure white snow...wow...an easy shot for a Nikon, or Canon, or Pentax, or Olympus!!!

Well, you can't have it both ways. Not exactly any speed focus problem with the Sony, eh?

skieur

I like how you and your boyfriend both dodged the entire point of my post. Focusing speed was not the point... the TIMING of his shot was. Gary TIMED his shot so that the dog was at the peak of his leap. The POINT of the post was to point out that it would be more difficult to TIME that kind of action shot with live view, which inherently has delay, even if a small delay. If Sony live view is anything like that of Canon's (I've never developed software for the Sony Alpha's but have for Canon), the frame rate to the EVF will vary depending on available light (I'm assuming it has to do with additional processing time required for NR or something) which would make TIMING an action shot even more difficult.

With that said, there's no point in arguing with either of you. You claim that others cannot acknowledge the benefits of this outstanding A77 whiz-bang camera. I have acknowledged that phase detect AF would be very appealing for video shooters however the loss of 1/2 stop light due to the mirror (which you are hell bent on claiming only 1/3 stop: Light loss in A77 mirror exactly measured - Dyxum forums) and the inherent delays of an EVF would prevent most photographers from being interested. The hypocrisy comes with the fact that YOU are the one that can't seem to acknowledge it's flaws... which are many.

Let's try again. I will try and keep it simple. If you are looking at jpegs at 1600 ISO or higher on the Comparometer, then Sony is slightly better at a higher sharpness level than both the Nikon and Canon cameras I was comparing. Nevertheless photos from all 3: Canon, Nikon and Sony were lousy, but Sony gives me the option of eliminating noise at very high ISO using twilight mode. Noiseware Professional would further reduce noise. Bottom line however is that I would not use any DSLR above 800 ISO unless absolutely necessary and I seldom have any need to do so.

As to speed, Sony has the fastest burst speed at 24 megapixels. It can still shoot slower than 12 frames per second and be faster than any other DSLR at a full 24 megapixels. Not all photographers will need or use this speed but it is available. However, only fanboys of the other brands rather than users will complain about it.

The Sony A77 produces the best HD video so far with full time, continuous phase detection autofocus and stereo sound. Anyone who integrates stills and video, like I do, finds this feature very useful.

As to what you call toy features, I consider to be useful tools. In camera panorama is high quality at 49 megapixels and it is used frequently in real estate virtual tours and in church wedding shots, web site advertising etc. Simulated tiltshift, enhanced dynamic range, HDR etc. are all very useful for creative photographers.

Minolta produced sturdy, excellently designed, cameras with lenses that tested out as better than Nikon at the time. I got a lot of successful use out of a variety of Minolta cameras so they more than paid for themselves, irrespective of marketting or the company.

Sony has deep pockets and sells one heck of a lot of digital cameras. They were certainly successful with the Sony Betacam which certainly was the standard for television production at one point. Again however, irrespective of the company, the A77 has less plastic than the Nikon D3x, is more feature rich and has a better price point.

One photography writer said that more "professional" cameras are bought by professionals, as in doctors, lawyers, executives etc. then are bought by professional photographers. Serious pros are in it to make money rather than spend money.

skieur

Dp Review were wrong then when they said the A77 had mushy output at Higher ISO's?

And the D3X has more plastic than the A77?? Article to back up this statement please??

Just a point of clarification for skieur: I do not believe that I have referred to "toy features" in any of my posts in this thread; now, skieur you keep stating that I have referred to "toy" features on the Sony A77...I would like to see an example of that in a post that "I" have made using that exact language. Good luck finding it.

Anyway...the people who want a Sony A77 can buy one any time they feel like it: Best Buy, and Fry's Electronics, and other big box retailers, have boatloads of Sony A77's in-stock and ready for customers to come in and snap up! The camera is available wherever fine TV sets, stereos, and DVD players are sold. I called my local Best Buy tonight, and was told they had six A77's in-stock...I asked if I could get a Nikon D7000...nope...sold out...and that the next D7000 shipment would likely sell out the day it came in. Anyway, I am, like roughly 88 percent of the entire d-slr market, committed to cameras made by other companies besides Sony (I am a Nikon AND a Canon d-slr user). Best of luck with your Sony cameras and Zeiss/Cosina lenses. The Tamron/Sony 28-75 f/2.8 is one of the better lenses for walk-around, outdoor use. If you want the lens with the Sony-style rubber, it's available; it is also available for A-mount with the Tamron brand name on it.

The ODDEST thing about this entire A77 love-fest is that I do not think that there has been even ONE mention of the only real advantage Sony has over Canon and Nikon, and that is their in-body stabilization system, like the one Pentax and Samsung both use. All this talk, over 30 pages' worth, about the viewfinder and the sensor and the A77's 12 FPS burst rate, but no discussion of the in-body sensor shift technology that helps steady the shaky hands of Sony users.

Well, like Popular Photograph's Michael McNamara said, "wait and see what Canon and Nikon come out with."

I just checked Adorama, B&H and Amazon no a77s is stock, neither the new lenses. I expect the same is true for the NEX7 I will not own a camera without in body IS because like I said. Nikon glass is to expensive. I am very happy with my Sony and the added features is a bonus to a superb tool. The menu is a dream to navigate and use. If you want to talk toy cameras take a look at the N1. One has to get big name actors to sell a camera with inferior IQ and real toy features. Yes the are flying off the shelf too. Just because a big tiime actor is pushing them along a little. The Nikon 1 is a great camera if you like to shoot in AE or program mode, manual controls are buried in the menu and even Olympus has a sensor bigger than 10mpix. Also better IQ. The NEX3 has better IQ than the Nikon 1 and it's two upgrades behind the NEX 7. I don't think in need worry about Sonys future. Nikon and Canon are going to set back and rely on there old technology and the world is going to pass them by and they will be playing catch up to everyone else just like they are in the mirrorless area.
I expected more from Nikon and will put my toy NEX 7 up against the Nikon 1 any day. Yes I am waiting, to see what amazing new technology the deep pocketed Sony people come up with next. It's already happening just look at the D4. It's not to much of an upgrade to the dated D3 and Sony made its sensor. I wonder how many Nikon parts the a77 has in it?
Just a point of clarification for skieur: I do not believe that I have referred to "toy features" in any of my posts in this thread; now, skieur you keep stating that I have referred to "toy" features on the Sony A77...I would like to see an example of that in a post that "I" have made using that exact language. Good luck finding it.Anyway...the people who want a Sony A77 can buy one any time they feel like it: Best Buy, and Fry's Electronics, and other big box retailers, have boatloads of Sony A77's in-stock and ready for customers to come in and snap up! The camera is available wherever fine TV sets, stereos, and DVD players are sold. I called my local Best Buy tonight, and was told they had six A77's in-stock...I asked if I could get a Nikon D7000...nope...sold out...and that the next D7000 shipment would likely sell out the day it came in. Anyway, I am, like roughly 88 percent of the entire d-slr market, committed to cameras made by other companies besides Sony (I am a Nikon AND a Canon d-slr user). Best of luck with your Sony cameras and Zeiss/Cosina lenses. The Tamron/Sony 28-75 f/2.8 is one of the better lenses for walk-around, outdoor use. If you want the lens with the Sony-style rubber, it's available; it is also available for A-mount with the Tamron brand name on it.The ODDEST thing about this entire A77 love-fest is that I do not think that there has been even ONE mention of the only real advantage Sony has over Canon and Nikon, and that is their in-body stabilization system, like the one Pentax and Samsung both use. All this talk, over 30 pages' worth, about the viewfinder and the sensor and the A77's 12 FPS burst rate, but no discussion of the in-body sensor shift technology that helps steady the shaky hands of Sony users.Well, like Popular Photograph's Michael McNamara said, "wait and see what Canon and Nikon come out with."

Last edited:
I expected more from Nikon and will put my toy NEX 7 up against the Nikon 1 any day.

I should hope so... you're comparing apples and oranges. The NEX 7 APS-C sensor has more than 3 TIMES the area of a Nikon 1 CX sensor. That's a larger gap than from DX to FX.

I wonder how many Nikon parts the a77 has in it?

Sony being sony tries to make everything proprietary so I would doubt any parts are. The funny thing though is that even though sony supplied the sensor to Nikon, Nikon was able to do BETTER with it than sony was! The A55 uses the same sensor (I believe) and look how much better the D7000 performs with the SAME sensor.

Last edited:
Just a point of clarification for skieur: I do not believe that I have referred to "toy features" in any of my posts in this thread; now, skieur you keep stating that I have referred to "toy" features on the Sony A77...I would like to see an example of that in a post that "I" have made using that exact language. Good luck finding it.

Anyway...the people who want a Sony A77 can buy one any time they feel like it: Best Buy, and Fry's Electronics, and other big box retailers, have boatloads of Sony A77's in-stock and ready for customers to come in and snap up! The camera is available wherever fine TV sets, stereos, and DVD players are sold. I called my local Best Buy tonight, and was told they had six A77's in-stock...I asked if I could get a Nikon D7000...nope...sold out...and that the next D7000 shipment would likely sell out the day it came in. Anyway, I am, like roughly 88 percent of the entire d-slr market, committed to cameras made by other companies besides Sony (I am a Nikon AND a Canon d-slr user). Best of luck with your Sony cameras and Zeiss/Cosina lenses. The Tamron/Sony 28-75 f/2.8 is one of the better lenses for walk-around, outdoor use. If you want the lens with the Sony-style rubber, it's available; it is also available for A-mount with the Tamron brand name on it.

The ODDEST thing about this entire A77 love-fest is that I do not think that there has been even ONE mention of the only real advantage Sony has over Canon and Nikon, and that is their in-body stabilization system, like the one Pentax and Samsung both use. All this talk, over 30 pages' worth, about the viewfinder and the sensor and the A77's 12 FPS burst rate, but no discussion of the in-body sensor shift technology that helps steady the shaky hands of Sony users.

Well, like Popular Photograph's Michael McNamara said, "wait and see what Canon and Nikon come out with."

Interesting, Best Buy doesn't even list the A77 on their website and my local store doesn't plan on carrying them, nor does Frys. Whoever you talked to must have been thinking of the A55.

My A55 didn't have any problems with AF at 10fps...

DSC00505.jpg

DSC00506.jpg

DSC00507.jpg

Nikon_Josh said:
Again, ENGLISH FAIL!

lol. Oh ok. You can't beat me in this thread that is why you are trying to attack me in a different way hahaha! You are being desperate now bro lol. Your way of attacking has no effect on me. Try harder. You didn't see me making fun of you when you said "DO YOU GO DO SCHOOL?" lol
You may speak more fluent than I am, but that doesn't change the fact that you're a dumbass who gives corny jokes and lame attacks. This ain't english class you f0ol. You are the only one who is complaining here. I guess your limitation of understanding things is not as good as I thought. Hehehe!!!

Nikon_Josh said:
You have 3 degrees aswell now do you? My my my... you have achieved so much haven't you?? hahahaha!
Your sentence construction is terrible. :)

I am not implying the Nikon is a bad system. They have had the best image quality for some time. I just saying Sony is as just as good. Sony is not a fly by night company and a commented to the DSLR market. They are innovative and think outside the box. I doubt Sony will ever have equal shares in the market one reason being Nikon has been around longer and have a lot of people tied to the system.If you look at the DXO marks there's not enough difference in the a77 and D7000 to worry about. Give Sony five more years and see what the a99 looks like.

mjhoward said:
I like how you and your boyfriend both dodged the entire point of my post. Focusing speed was not the point... the TIMING of his shot was. Gary TIMED his shot so that the dog was at the peak of his leap. The POINT of the post was to point out that it would be more difficult to TIME that kind of action shot with live view, which inherently has delay, even if a small delay. If Sony live view is anything like that of Canon's (I've never developed software for the Sony Alpha's but have for Canon), the frame rate to the EVF will vary depending on available light (I'm assuming it has to do with additional processing time required for NR or something) which would make TIMING an action shot even more difficult.

With that said, there's no point in arguing with either of you. You claim that others cannot acknowledge the benefits of this outstanding A77 whiz-bang camera. I have acknowledged that phase detect AF would be very appealing for video shooters however the loss of 1/2 stop light due to the mirror (which you are hell bent on claiming only 1/3 stop: Light loss in A77 mirror exactly measured - Dyxum forums) and the inherent delays of an EVF would prevent most photographers from being interested. The hypocrisy comes with the fact that YOU are the one that can't seem to acknowledge it's flaws... which are many.

Just to let you know, EVF has no delay when viewing things through the VF. The issue is the lag when you shoot in burst. Even you timed your frame when you do the shot with OVF, the greater shutter lag in DSLR still delay the capture. Again, it's about knowing your camera and adapt a technique. You better know your stuff before posting like that. :)

This 1/3 stop light loss discussion is over. It is proven that even with that issue, a77 iQ is better than most camera on the market with noise level as good as the 7D. Again, 7D is a good camera right?
I suggest you go back to earlier pages and start reading. You are late to the party

Last edited:
cosmonaut said:
I am not implying the Nikon is a bad system. They have had the best image quality for some time. I just saying Sony is as just as good. Sony is not a fly by night company and a commented to the DSLR market. They are innovative and think outside the box. I doubt Sony will ever have equal shares in the market one reason being Nikon has been around longer and have a lot of people tied to the system.If you look at the DXO marks there's not enough difference in the a77 and D7000 to worry about. Give Sony five more years and see what the a99 looks like.

Nikon is good. Just these fanboys giving Nikon bad image. If it wasn't for the Sony sensor, Nikon D7000 wouldn't be in the top APS-C camera in terms of IQ and Noise performance. (NEX 5n,a580,D7000,K-5)
But Canon? They're terrible hehehe

I don't think the a99 is five years out, its it?

I am starting to agree though that Canon's line is starting to look just a bit stale. They've understandably been the top dog for so long that I think they've started to fall behind some.

And what's up with SLT users and dogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back