Spring Solstice Startrails

cdryden

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, if the clouds would have stayed away it would have been a lot better but I will take what I can get. I was hoping for a nice milky way shot but that will have to wait for another day.
spring solstice.jpg

F2.8
iso 400
16mm
exposure 45 seconds
81 exposures

You're quite a bit farther south than me!

I'd estimate 25°

I don't see Polaris are you in the southern hemisphere?

Nice shots by the way :)

F2.8
iso 400
16mm
exposure 45 seconds
81 exposures

How did you put them together? I watched a tutorial about star trails and the program shown was called Starstax. What did you use?

I'd estimate 25°

Im in northeast Missouri.

I'd estimate 25°

It's strange the angle between the north and star and horizon is certainly larger on my laptop than my cell phone. at least above the angle between my index and middle finger (approx 35 degrees)

Cheers ;)

F2.8
iso 400
16mm
exposure 45 seconds
81 exposures

How did you put them together? I watched a tutorial about star trails and the program shown was called Starstax. What did you use?
I used photoshop cs6. Once I open all the shots as layers I set the blending mode to lighten, thats it.

I'd estimate 25°

It's strange the angle between the north and star and horizon is certainly larger on my laptop than my cell phone. at least above the angle between my index and middle finger (approx 35 degrees)

Cheers ;)
Well, I was at one of the highest points in the area and the horizon was quite a bit below me. I wonder if that is what is throwing off the perception. Here is a couple of daytime pics from the same area.
1.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 208
I wouldn't expect the altitude to foul things up too much.

Maybe my idea that you can find the latitude from a picture is problematic. You can find the distance between the horizon and Polaris. But harder is to find the distance from the vertex of the angle to the horizon. I think this may be possible if you calculate the field of view of the lens... I think I have a neat little howto to write if that works :)

Most reactions

Back