Sub $500 dollar computer?

I just got a Compac from Circut City... Remember they're having their going out of business sale. 40% off of camera equipment. 10% off of Computer stuff, etc... You can find something in your price range you just have to look. Mine was $575 even... 2 gb, duel processor, etc...

I just got a Compac from Circut City... Remember they're having their going out of business sale. 40% off of camera equipment. 10% off of Computer stuff, etc... You can find something in your price range you just have to look. Mine was $575 even... 2 gb, duel processor, etc...

True, but 10% off of retail is really not that much off.

I got a much larger discount.

The items I got:

HP A6700y Quad Core Processor, 4gig ram, 500gigHD, etc: ORIGINAL PRICE: $579.00

Hannspree 19" monitor: ORIGINAL PRICE: $129.00

HP F4280 All In One Printer/Scanner/Copier: ORIGINAL PRICE: $79.99

TOTAL ORIGINAL PRICE: $789.99

I paid: $579

True, but 10% off of retail is really not that much off.

I got a much larger discount.

The items I got:

HP A6700y Quad Core Processor, 4gig ram, 500gigHD, etc: ORIGINAL PRICE: $579.00

Hannspree 19" monitor: ORIGINAL PRICE: $129.00

HP F4280 All In One Printer/Scanner/Copier: ORIGINAL PRICE: $79.99

TOTAL ORIGINAL PRICE: $789.99

I paid: $579

Ooh nice. Where did you get that from. Yep, you're right I guess you have to shop around.

You can normally get an e-machine for pretty cheap, especially when there is a rebate involved.

I think I got my windows vista emachine last year for $200 after rebates. It runs CS pretty good. Emachines have a bad rep, but I think they are good for a cheap machine. :)

Oh and walmart has a laptop pc for like $300. I dont know how powerful it is, but the ram and hard drive seems good. Id like to know how well photoshop cs runs on it, and how well it can handle a 16bit 8mp tiff. :)

you can run adobe photoshop, you have to use a program call codeweaver that allow you to integrate mac and win application on to Linux

Windows emulator = sloooooooooooooow.

As a general rule if you want to run an application at it's fastest possible speed, the minimum consideration is to run it in it's native OS.

I tried umbutu and codeweaver... for all of maybe 8 hours... XP 64-bit came back real fast after that and LightRoom just FLIES on it in comparison. I would presume all windows applications run at the same level, and CS3 is especially intensive and likely to run just as slow.

Good deal man. There seems to be quite a markup on pc hardware and employees have a lot of wiggle room when making a deal.

I got a laptop for my mom, real cheap. List was $600, but it was $400 after rebates, then I got 10% off of list, because there was only a display model left, and he made sure to meticulously point out 2 almost invisible scratches on the case. and then the guy gave me another 10% off list, because they were replacing that laptop with a new model. that an extra $120 off, bringing the end price down to $280.

To top it all off my mom asked is he thought it would a good idea to but the bigger battery, he said, "sure, but if you wait until next week, they are going on sale for $40 bucks cheaper."

Thanks Office Depot Guy!

I do everything photo related with an Acer Aspire One. 8.9" netbook. Other than no optical drive, it's just like a bigger laptop, just small. I don't use photoshop (because gimp is free), have no problems with gimp.

$350

Actually there isn't a lot of markup on computers. I worked at Best Buy when I was in college and we got 5% above cost on everything. Computers were cheaper to buy as a regular customer than as an employee. Best Buy sold computers at or below cost, and made their money on the accessories. The $30 usb cable was $2.00 employee cost... Anytime you get them to give you anything off of a computer, they're loosing money in hopes that you will buy an accessory or an extended warrenty.

Most reactions

Back