Subaru, am I stupid?

Puscas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, I'm lost here. Just watched the Subaru Big Tent Event ad for the 15th time. It's the one where a guy is dressed in a gorilla-suit and someone sais 'no not that kind of tent' and he points at a small tent with deer in the middle of the showroom. I DON'T GET IT!!???

I googled it and all I found was people asking the same questions. But there are so many smart people on TPF, so someone can solve this, right?
(besides the fact that I'm falling for the whole 'we confuse you, so you talk about it and you'll remember our ad' tactic)

I thought this was off topic enough...:mrgreen:

pascal

wow, thats pretty funny

It's a new marketing tactic. It's the 'Gorilla man drives this, so should you' tactic. It's been popular in Kenya for a while, and I'm glad to see it's finally making its way to the States. 'Bout time.

Big tent = crazy eye grabbing tactics like a guy in a gorilla suit. ( a big fancy show just to bring ppl in and sell any old product)

Small tent = camping tent/real outdoor environment. which is what they think you will really use your subaru for.

does that make sense? im not describing it very well but...

you guys make even less sense...:lol:

it's the whole 'it's not that kind of tent' that I don't understand.

pascal

Big tent = crazy eye grabbing tactics like a guy in a gorilla suit. ( a big fancy show just to bring ppl in and sell any old product)

Small tent = camping tent/real outdoor environment. which is what they think you will really use your subaru for.

does that make sense? im not describing it very well but...

ah yes. Big tent as in 'a great show' to attract people, right?
Thanks, thát makes sense.

pascal

it's the whole 'it's not that kind of tent' that I don't understand.

They are saying its not a huge eye catching big tent event that you would normaly associate with a car sale..

its a small camping tent.. buy a subaru and you can use it to enjoy the outdoors in places you couldn't before-type of thing.

They are saying its not a huge eye catching big tent event that you would normaly associate with a car sale..

its a small camping tent.. buy a subaru and you can use it to enjoy the outdoors in places you couldn't before-type of thing.

Haha. Maybe in some places.

I'm in Maine, I could walk a hundred feet behind my house and get the outdoors experience. Everyone 'round here has a Subaru. Or a pickup truck. Ridiculous.

It's a new marketing tactic. It's the 'Gorilla man drives this, so should you' tactic. It's been popular in Kenya for a while, and I'm glad to see it's finally making its way to the States. 'Bout time.

:biglaugh:

Around here if you say "Big Tent", most guys are probably looking down...

It's an Ad man's idea of a joke so don't expect it to be funny or contain any kind of logic.
I can vouch that a lot of ideas like this get generated in the small hours after a lot of alcohol and putting things up your nose. At that point everything becomes funny and brilliant - but no-one else will realise it.
It's a case of 'you had to be there'.

It never ceases to amaze me that they manage to sell the idea to the client :lol:

Around here if you say "Big Tent", most guys are probably looking down...

:er:

:)lol:)

It's an Ad man's idea of a joke so don't expect it to be funny or contain any kind of logic. I can vouch that a lot of ideas like this get generated in the small hours after a lot of alcohol and putting things up your nose. At that point everything becomes funny and brilliant.

you're right, but somehow I'm glad it's just a language gap on my part in this case. I hate it when ad makers try to be funny and brilliant, but not really succeed...

It never ceases to amaze me that they manage to sell the idea to the client :lol:

thát's a skill I would love to have...;-)

pascal

Most reactions

New Topics

Back