Success, home development!

cigrainger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here are a few from my third roll that I've ever developed. I'm using Ilfosol S. I had much better luck with this roll of HP5+ than I've had with the two rolls of FP4+ I developed a couple of days ago (in the black/white forum). Too bad the content isn't that exciting, but let me know what you think.

1444283712_c25d37a598_b.jpg

1444283710_d423f1ca1a_b.jpg

1444283702_352c4fbcda_b.jpg

More to follow as they scan!

This is the only other one worth posting really. Is it worth posting on these forums at all anymore? No one comments on my photos... I'm sorry they're not HDR.

1443660647_eebfb7e3bf_b.jpg

Don't worry about the HDR, keep posting these, I love the tonal range you've got on the last one is excellent. Seems to have so much more weight/bedy than some of the disgital conversions I've done - if they turned out like this, I'd be as happy as a pig in poop.

This is the only other one worth posting really. Is it worth posting on these forums at all anymore? No one comments on my photos... I'm sorry they're not HDR.

:lmao:

I know what you mean, its quite the most ridiculous thing to have a ton of replys to an almost totally manufactured digital pixel collection that has little in common with a photograph except for the raw material used, actually posted in the post your photographs sub forum.
Nobody will like any of my photos either:lol:
Seriously though, you probably just got missed, you know how it is, a couple of days it drops down the list blah blah, I haven't seen them for definate.
They're great, I bet the tonal range in the negs totally murders these scans, and these scans are good!
You dont say how much post processing you needed to do or what camera, overall I'd say they lacked a bit of detail in the blacks, but that probably is the limits of scanning.
They're fairly sharp though despite the shallow dof on the graphic.
You should try some neopan 100, its as smooth as slug snot, smoother than the HP's, and maybe a smaller apperture for front to back sharp if you like that sort of thing.
Ilfosol s is supersafe developing, all the timing is easy at the midway dilution, its a nice smooth developer, I used some HC110 with hp5 the other day for the first time, they came out with more contrast and grain, the worst thing was the timing though, much faster than ilfosol, totally buggered my method up 30 second intervals....
Anyway, sorry bout that...the photos, I like em, theres a few particles whatever, I'd say clone them out but I think it adds to their charm/character as they are..

Thank you both for the replies.

Joxby, I really appreciate the advice and the critique. Makes me remember why I come back to this place :D.

I really should try to get down to the darkroom to see if I can't get more out of my negs, but I haven't taken a shot in my past 3 rolls that I'd REALLY like to enlarge.

I did very little post processing, some very minor levels work. I took these with my Pentax Spotmatic SP and the 50mm f/1.4 lens. I love that combination. :D

I'll give Neopan 100 a shot. I'm actually a big fan of Delta 100, I just haven't developed it myself yet. I'm thinking about moving to shoot exclusively Delta 100 and Delta 400 (for pushing as well), but I'll have to give Neopan a shot first.

Are there any other developers you'd recommend, maybe ones for finer grain? I'm about out of my 250ml bottle of Ilfosol S (I diluted at 1:9), I think there are just about 2-3 more rolls worth left.

Yeah, I kind of like the rustic character of the particles, lol.

Thanks again!

I always used to rate my FP4 at ISO160, then process in ID11 at whatever the compensated time calculation was on the instructions. Long time since I've done that, but I always used to like the results. Joxby's right about HC110 - a much livelier developer.

If you want supersmooth, ilfosol is pretty good, steady and slow, you'll probably need to lose the particles, they look in-keeping with slightly grainy 400 hp, but particles will ruin that supersmooth look on neopan 100.
I've tried allsorts, Rodinal, Microphen, Ilfotec LC 29, they're all fine but I keep going back to ilfosol.
Out of them all it seems to produce the least grain in 3200, which is the bomb for inside buildings like cathedrals or whatever, still grainy though.
I dont know if you can improve the grain in HP5 400, mebbe try a weaker dilution and longer developing..dunno
You must be English because actually Ilfosol is just about the ONLY developer available nationally without ordering from online stockists, that and Ilford 120 film.
If you dont live in London this is all you can get locally.:madass:

This could be an all Brit thread, I saw your shots of Looe Chris, very nice, I was stood in your footprint in August (or you stood in mine) in that semi -circular stone parapet on the roadside cliffs over looking Looe and the estuary, crappy day for me though, overcast dull and Veronica jammed right there.
In the town there was a shop selling some fantastic photographic panoramic prints of looe at night, bit fisheye but cool non the less.

You must be English because actually Ilfosol is just about the ONLY developer available nationally without ordering from online stockists, that and Ilford 120 film.

If you dont live in London this is all you can get locally.:madass:

Not sure whether you were referring to me, but yes, I'm English. When I said I used to put FP4 through ID11 though, I'm talking about something I've not done in probably 20 years. Funnily enough you used to be able to get a fair range of stuff from any camera shop worth the name.

No, I know your English.....ah....I was editing while you were posting

:confused:

ninjahs should be banned

As with everything Film, its getting digitised, there isnt a shop I can go to in the entire county of Yorkshire that sells 120 Film or developer, its a disgrace.
Actually, theres hardly a camera shop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back