Suggestions for a Medium format

John Mc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im possibly looking to get a MFC soon, im shooting alot of landscapes and portraits and i want to get better print quality from bigger prints.

Anybody have some suggestions? ive been looking into a few makes,but im still unsure about it all. im using a Pentax Film camera at the moment,so i was considering going with there medium format. but i dont know anyone who has used one.

Anyone got some suggestions?

Well, it all depends on your budget and what you think you'll shoot with it.

Pentax offers both a 6x4.5 and 6x7 body.

So does Mamiya.

The problem with the 645 models is that you don't have interchangeable backs. If you're shooting color, you have to get through that film to switch to B&W. The way things are today it may not be as important as it was for me.

The Pentax 6x7 has the same problem because it is designed like an oversized 35mm SLR.

The Mamiya 6x7 does offer changeable backs but it is heavy.

I was lucky to find a good deal on a Hasselblad when I first went into MF. Never regretted it and love the square format (6x6) but it is also the most expensive brand out there. I did get a 500CM with 80mm and two 120 backs for only $600 a few months back. Deals can be found but it takes work and time.

Also, some people just don't like the square format and if you are going to crop the image down to 6x4.5 you may as well get a 645. Or go to 6x7 and deal with the weight.

The square worked very well for some of my work, music. Great for album covers or CDs, great for promo prints. And it is so much lighter than the Mamiya 6x7 that I never had a problem doing a whole shoot hand held.

You also have the family of TLR (twin lens reflex) available. Some have fixed lenses, others have interchangeable lenses.

I'm sure that doesn't really help you but it does give you an idea of what's out there.

Bronica's SQ-A and SQ-Ai series are a Japanese re-interpretation of the Hasselblad 500 series camera, only without the mechanical foibles and weird inter-connecting mechanical shutter cocking/film winding issues of the Hassle-blads. The SQ-series is based on a very simple body, with reliable Seiko shutters in each lens, and smoother, prettier bokeh than the ancient Hassy lenses had. The best part is that the SQ series will shoot 6x6, 645, as well as 35mm and 35mm panoramic, using interchangeable backs which use film inserts, so you can have both a square format AND a 645 format camera, using the same body and lenses, pretty affordably. Affordably because the Bronica brand is defunct now! It's modular, with metering prisms and backs and bodies available at low prices.

The SQ-series Bronicas handle pretty well, either at waist-level OR using an eye-level prism. They also made a 645 series, but I would rather have the higher end SQ-A or SQ-Ai series bodies with the multi-format capability rather than be locked into the 645-only body line.

I would not spend too much money on a MF system until you know you will like using it! it might,or might not, be what you are hoping it will be.

I would go with the Mamiya 645 AFD/AFD II They DO have interchangable backs, and are, AFAIK, the only one where a single back supports both 120 and 220 film. They also support digital backs, and there's a HUGE array of really good, really inexpensive glass available.

A lot depends on how much you want to spend. Yashica or other twin lens
cameras offer great quality images at pretty low cost. My first MF camera
was a Yashica back in the 1980s and I was blown away with the image
quality (compared to 35mm) the first time I used it. Other economical MF
cameras include a zillion different folding cameras that can be bought from
a few bucks to hundreds.

I own a Pentax 67 with several lenses and consider it an excellent landscape
camera. I don't find the lack of interchangeable backs to be a hindrance.
A 6x7 camera shooting 120 film only has 10 shots anyway so I see no
need to change mid-roll. But, if I did I would just get another body (bodies
alone don't cost much). The P67 offers a big 6x7 negative that translates
well to standard size paper sizes and it is about as portable as a 6x7 SLR
can be. It's a bit bulky but it can be shot hand-held, especially with the
"small" 90mm lens.

If you intend to use flash, however, the P67 may not be the best choice as it
has a very low sync speed. There are leaf shutter lenses available for it which
solve that problem but that's an added expense.

I consider it a very good all around MF camera with the exception of studio
type flash work (though it can be used for that with the leaf shutter
lenses).

For studio work there are lots of choices -- Bronica, Hasselblad, Mamiya,
Rollei, Fuji, etc. All are good.

Thanks Guys, im abit new to film as it is,so 35mm is as far as ive stretched to just now.
The interchangable back thing isnt too much of an issue with myself,as i mainly shoot black and white so to keep costs down. as i have access to my own darkroom.
And the weight doesent bother me either,as i like to take time to frame my shots for landscape,so i generally use a tripod.

The Format its self isnt much of an issue either, i can crop to square ect if i want. But i do like the idea of a Bronica,as its multi format.and having the ability to shoot 35mm panoramics sounds like an interesting study for me to do aswell.

I dont really have a budget,but i would say around £300-£400, not sure what that would to convert to USD's but i think its a fair amount for what im after.

John

Mamiya or Bronica either will be a good choice. I'm partial to the RB67s as thats what I own.

Just to make the decision more difficult though, you could get a 4X5 press camera for that and as you will be developing yourself a 4X5 is doable. Plus you get movements! (somewhat limited with a press camera but still..) There are even roll backs for some of them, I've got a 6X7 for my Graflex and you can get 6X9 as well

I think what i'll stick with is the idea of a Bronica or Mamiya.
We get to use them this module in college, the stores have both Rb67 and the Press cameras, so i am looking forward to them :)

Not sure what the situation is in Europe, but in the Us the RB/RZ67 is almost being given away. I'm not a modern slr guy but the continaully falling prices of that system tempt me.

RB's are the hands down bang for the buck MF system. This was true even 10 years ago when the prices were much higher.

I have been using them for nearly 25 years now, and while I also shoot Hasselblad, when it comes to versatility versus costs, the Mamiyas win by a long shot.

i picked up a 645 1000s and two lenses for 100 bucks, great deal and i love the camera for just starting in MF. 35mm was getting old and i wanted a change, you can find good deals on these. highly recommended

I have been using RB67s since the 70s in lots of different situations. I also repair them, my specialty since I was a kid.

BUT as for someting to go backpacking with, the RB is a cinderblock compared to a Bronica ETRS.

The ETRS is a wonderful 645 camera, it handles very well in the outdoors. It has a wide variety of lenses including zooms (still a bit pricy), viewfinders n removable backs and a hand grip that allows you to wind it like a 35mm camera. They are built like mini tanks.

ETRS are selling for around $250 in decent condition in most classified listing. If you are looking for a good return policy go get it at KEH, BGN is almost like new.

John,
I'd recommend the RB67. You should have no issues finding one in good shape for 300-400 quid. They are serious workhorses. I shot one for years before moving to Hasselblads.

If you just want to get your feet wet in medium format then look at the Yashica TLR. You should be able to find one for < 50 quid. They are also fine cameras that will service you well for a very long time. I still have my TLR and use it in situations where I won't carry my 'blad (beach or other harsh environments) and if I do kill it I'm not out thousands.

John,
I'd recommend the RB67. You should have no issues finding one in good shape for 300-400 quid. They are serious workhorses. I shot one for years before moving to Hasselblads.

If you just want to get your feet wet in medium format then look at the Yashica TLR. You should be able to find one for < 50 quid. They are also fine cameras that will service you well for a very long time. I still have my TLR and use it in situations where I won't carry my 'blad (beach or other harsh environments) and if I do kill it I'm not out thousands.

A Friend of mine has just bought an Rb67 for around £170. but ive looked into the Tlr's,which im now thinking seems like a sound investment. it starts me off on medium format i guess,which means i can diverse onwards if i feel :)

A Yashica TLR is a great way to get into medium format inexpensively.

I'd recommend going with 6x6 or larger format. 6x4.5 just isn't much of an upgrade from 35mm; I'd only recommend a 645 camera for someone that wants a smaller, faster shooting camera for model shoots or wildlife.

The most versatile option would be a graflex 4x5 press camera (speed or crown graphic). This will give you the widest selection of options when it comes to lenses and backs. I have a medium format film back for my speed graphic that allows me to shoot 6x45, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 or 6x12. Press cameras can also be shot hand-held, unlike traditional view-cameras.

PS. The mamiya 645 does have interchangeable backs

Most reactions

New Topics

Back