Tamron 28-80 mm, good or no?

timberwolf5480

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am planning and saving to get a Canon Rebel XSi in November, I ran across a site that sells accessories, and they are bundling the XSi with a Tamron 28-80 mm lense + a whole bunch of accessories, for about $709.00. My first question, since I am a total N00b at photography is:

1. Is this lense a good lense or not, would it be a better lense then the standard 18-55 mm Kit lense I would probably most likely get if I got a kit?

2. Is this a good camera to start out with, that is under $1000, and if anyone who does have this particular model,

3. What are your likes/dislikes about this camera, or even the lense as well?

Thanks for your wise input and knowledge....:D

1 yes it is better than the 18-55, no offence to any conon users but they have the worst quality kit glass.

2. Its a good camera from what I've heard. My journalism class has one and im the head photog. so I just play with it if i forgot mine. And if thats what you can get, thats good enough.

3.I just dont like the control layout, thats why I shoot nikon. But if you have used it and it feels right in your hands then thats great!

BTW where are you getting it? Some places are not so reputable and some packages come with allot of low quality stuff. But starters dont know that and they just see that it comes with a bunch of stuff so a link would be nice.

BTW where are you getting it? Some places are not so reputable and some packages come with allot of low quality stuff. But starters dont know that and they just see that it comes with a bunch of stuff so a link would be nice.
I am still pricing things out, but this site caught my eye yesterday....

Jumbo Packages

**EDIT**

Yes, I don't know if this would be too good to be true or not. So far all my research points to the Canon Rebel XSi kit being around $800, no accessories. A local Best Buy had it on sale for $700 last weekend, but I still have to wait until November to save the money, so I do have a little time. I figure $800.00 is the max I am willing to spend on this hobby RIGHT NOW, but I have been told by many that some of my pics look good with a snapshot camera, and I love just going for a drive and taking pics of various subjects, I just figured now is the time to get a good camera because I feel ready to move up from compacts....Thanks.

Last edited:
I got my rebel XS bundled with a Tamron 70-300 With a Macro setting between 200-300mm on ebay. It was sold by Cameta who sells a lot of bundles on ebay. It was rated a best buy in Popular Photography magazine this month and I have been very happy with it so far. I am a total noob also. Its a versatile lense though for the price so far though. I think I paid $670 for the package with 4gb card, extra battery, carrying bag, and memory card reader. Not a bad deal.

Also, the 18-55 Kit lense does have it uses. Its not bad as a basic walkaround lense. Also, it has a minimum focus distance of like 9" so it is good for close up shots of like flowers and such. Not quite a macro lense, but comes in handy for a quick shot. If you can't afford a whole bunch of different lenses, I would hold onto the kit lense for a while. ( besides, you won't get squat for it if you sell it or trade it )

I mean the Tamron lense was rated a best buy, not the XS bundle.

If your absolute ceiling is $800, I would counsel you AGAINST getting ANY dSLR. Although you can easily enter at that level, you will want accessories as you progress -- tripods, flashes, additional memory cards, batteries, and, of course, GLASS. This adds up very quickly. You might consider a high-end bridge camera (for example, a Panasonic Lumix Z28 among many other excellent choices).

Also, the 18-55 Kit lense does have it uses.

I went to a camera shop last weekend and the clerk behind the counter said he had a friend who was a rock climber who uses the kit lens when he climbs rocks, because he doesn't want to drop his $400-$600 other lenses.....I laugh when I think of that....:lol:

Also, the 18-55 Kit lense does have it uses.

I went to a camera shop last weekend and the clerk behind the counter said he had a friend who was a rock climber who uses the kit lens when he climbs rocks, because he doesn't want to drop his $400-$600 other lenses.....I laugh when I think of that....:lol:

My least expensive lens was >$400 when I bought it ... You can get an excellent bridge camera in the $400-500 price range

So what are the advantages of getting a bridge camera over a DSLR (other than cost)? Do bridge cameras have detachable/upgradable lenses? What kind of settings can I expect? I am looking for more power over what I shoot when it comes to settings, I am at the point where my snapshot camera, is frustrating me because I want to do X, and the camera only supports Y.....

The advantages of a bridge are cost, size, convenience, and weight. If you are serious about the hobby for the long term, a dSLR (or film SLR) is what you want. You stated, however, that you didn't want to spend more than $800 on the hobby and that will be impractical with a dSLR. You can get excellent images off of a good bridge, but it does not have the versitility of a dSLR.

The bridge does not have interchangable lenses, but often there are wide angle/tele adapters available for them. Many have full manual capabilities. Some have the ability to use an off-camera flash. Some have true viewfinders. Some have the ability to store in RAW format.

Here's an example: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSh...7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251492430&sr=8-7

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I am not saying that its a great lense. I am just saying if you are starting out, its a perfectly capable lense. Focus more on composing shots and learning different techniques. Its absurd to think that if you can't afford a couple +$1000 lenses that you can't be a photographer. I bet you that the dSLR with the kit lense will out perform any bridge camera in the right hands. Why not start there, get the Tamron package, and work your way up. You can find a package deal with an extra lense, bag, card, battery easliy. Or go with the XS like I did. If I become good enough to make some money, I will upgrade my camera. If I don't become good enough, then I sure will be glad that I didn't buy the full-framed 21MP Canon.

If your absolute ceiling is $800, I would counsel you AGAINST getting ANY dSLR. Although you can easily enter at that level, you will want accessories as you progress -- tripods, flashes, additional memory cards, batteries, and, of course, GLASS. This adds up very quickly. You might consider a high-end bridge camera (for example, a Panasonic Lumix Z28 among many other excellent choices).

if we're talking an 800 budget right NOW...i disagree with this...a beginner kit can be had for less (as you stated)...the need for more (and better) glass, light, and accessories doesnt have to be immediate. those things can be saved up for.

check resellerratings.com before you pull the trigger on any bundle package off the web.

*EDIT*
i may have missed the part about spending 800 TOTAL on the hobby FOREVER...if thats the case, then yeah, icassell is right on...DSLR is not for you.
but trust us....if you love the hobby...you will want to spend more money on it. :D

if we're talking an 800 budget right NOW...i disagree with this...a beginner kit can be had for less (as you stated)...the need for more (and better) glass, light, and accessories doesnt have to be immediate. those things can be saved up for.

check resellerratings.com before you pull the trigger on any bundle package off the web.

Agreed. I was just saying that if it is an absolute $800 limit for the hobby ...

yeah i saw that i missed that part, and edited my post accordingly :D

your advice is spot on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back