the answer lies with the tripod...

Kathleen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Camera shake, being a newbie it seems I have a terrible time holding my camera steady. So I use my tripod, but there are times when it is out of reach or just not practical. In these instances a few of my shots show that dreaded camera shake. I heard about Focus Magic and was wondering if anyone can give me their thoughts on it.

There 3 answers to camera shake, and none of them lie with software. The first and most obvious, increase your shutter speed. If this means increasing ISO, then do so. Noise is handled much better than camera shake.

2, get a tripod. You know what's up with that.

3, learn techniques to increase your chances, which include holding the camera properly, and breathing techniques. For some people a heavier camera helps. If you think it might, consider adding weight to your camera. One easy way is by adding a battery grip (if your camera can use one).

Thank you for your suggestions. I have tried increasing the ISO, watched my stance, tried controlling my breathing, but adding weight to the camera is something I hadn't even thought of. When I first purchased my Canon I thought of adding the grip, but I thought it would make it too bulky. I'll give it some thought. I tried the trial Focus Magic on one of my photos, (camera shake was minimal) it didn't look bad after tweaking it. I guess the best solution is "tripod, tripod, tripod." ;-)

Hi Kathleen, try taking a five pound weight (dumbbell, bag of sugar... whatever) and hold it in the correct position for holding a camera just at heart level and very slowly raise it to the level of the top of your head and then very slowly back. Do this for 10 repetitions. and then do 5 sets of 10 repetitions morning, noon (if you can) and night. It won't be long until you can hold your camera steady for much longer periods.

mike

You could shoot in better light. Not always an option...but more light will allow you to use a faster shutter speed. Maybe the solution is to add light, with a flash for example.

IS (Image Stabilization) lenses help to fight against the effects of camera shake.

Camera shake, being a newbie it seems I have a terrible time holding my camera steady. So I use my tripod, but there are times when it is out of reach or just not practical. In these instances a few of my shots show that dreaded camera shake. I heard about Focus Magic and was wondering if anyone can give me their thoughts on it.

I apologize in advance if this is obvious or sounds condescending, but just in case. Sometimes people kind of stab at the shutter button or jerk when they take pictures. It's more of a smooth release, soft and gentle. Use the flat of your finger, not the tip.

If that's not part of the problem, just ignore me... :sexywink:

I sometimes think that having been a target shooter, I learned to exhale and shoot, just like with a camera. You don't have to hold your breath, just pause, relax and shoot.

By the way, might as well add. If you are panning, follow through, don't stop when you click the shutter. It helps. Think smooth.

Last in line. And I carry one, plus it works as a handle for the telephoto. Monopod! They telescope, you don't need a head or anything fancy, just a threaded end so you can rest the weight of the camera on it and gain stability.

try setting your camera on burst mode and fire 2 shots. The second one at least with me I have found to be clearer because the camera is steadier because you are not pusshing the trigger down. This with correct posture and breathing I have been able to take pics at around 1/50 or a little slower with a 200mm lens.

If you have a Canon with custom functions, enable mirror lockup and set it to the self timer. The CF function makes it a 2 second timer. Less shutter release jerk.

everyone else has given their advice on how to get better shots, so i will answer your question about Focus Magic.

i have that plugin, and i dont think its worth anything. i have taken perfectly clear shots and ran that plugin, and it always tells me its off by at least 1 pixel. ive tried it on many shots that were either out of focus, or blurred, and i never get acceptible results.

i would just follow all the other advice youve gotten here. theres no software anywhere that will make up for the lack of a tripod, or better camera settings.

Most reactions

Back