The Coffee House

I can't see very well in the morning.
So a lot of my typing is by memory.
The coffee is hardly ever the same from day to day. But it's particularly bad this morning. Oh well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

In a pinch, coffee is coffee and will still deliver the goods, but man does it suck to have to drink bad coffee. Sorry, Dave. May tomorrow's cup be spectacular! :)
Bad coffee sucks.

The wife and I have been having iced coffee with a splash of pumpkin spice creamer. However, the air temps are getting colder. Might be time to move back to hot coffee.

It definitely sucks. In fact, mine isn't that great this morning. Was running late, so I waited until I got to work to make a cup in my Keurig. It's not my favorite thing to do but I have the reusable cups and use my own coffee, and can manage the water level, so I'm usually able to make a passable cup.

Today, I was at the end of a bag of coffee and I think it had gone kinda stale, so my first cup was kinda meh. But the second cup is from the new bag, so here's hoping! :D

I can't do flavored creamers. Ever since I weaned myself from sugar in college, anything sweet in coffee makes me want to spit it out. I went to college in the late 80s/early 90s and that's when flavored coffees really hit. I used to enjoy hazelnut or cinnamon (back when that meant simply adding cinnamon to the grounds ;) ) but I got bored of that pretty quickly and was over it by the time I got to grad school.
I just cleaned mine out last weekend, made a difference in taste. Been drinking hotel coffee last 4 days, yuk. Ready to be home, so I can enjoy Gary's roast.

I spend significantly more time than reasonable to make sure that my coffee is never bad, and it still sometimes is. Today, it's great though.

I might even be getting ready to upgrade my roasting equipment. The Macgyver'd rig I've been using doesn't like running in cold air, so I'm thinking about buying a real roaster that has some filtering so I can run it inside.

If you do, please tell us what you get and how it works. I've been wanting to get into my own roasting for quite a while and I might be able to finally do so in a few months.

I just cleaned mine out last weekend, made a difference in taste. Been drinking hotel coffee last 4 days, yuk. Ready to be home, so I can enjoy Gary's roast.[/QUOTE]

Good point, I should probably clean it, too. I had cleaned it a few times and then didn't use it for a while. I've been using it more in the past month or two, so it could probably use a quick once-through with the white vinegar.

For the record, my second cup is better, thankfully! Not as good as what I make at home, but better with the fresh coffee. If it weren't, I'd probably just walk down to the cafe (we essentially have a Starbucks on campus - our employees and revenue, but we serve all their products.)

It definitely sucks. In fact, mine isn't that great this morning. Was running late, so I waited until I got to work to make a cup in my Keurig. It's not my favorite thing to do but I have the reusable cups and use my own coffee, and can manage the water level, so I'm usually able to make a passable cup.

Today, I was at the end of a bag of coffee and I think it had gone kinda stale, so my first cup was kinda meh. But the second cup is from the new bag, so here's hoping! :D

I can't do flavored creamers. Ever since I weaned myself from sugar in college, anything sweet in coffee makes me want to spit it out. I went to college in the late 80s/early 90s and that's when flavored coffees really hit. I used to enjoy hazelnut or cinnamon (back when that meant simply adding cinnamon to the grounds ;) ) but I got bored of that pretty quickly and was over it by the time I got to grad school.
I can only do flavored in cold brew/or as a dessert in hot coffee. My hot coffee needs to be sugar free in the morning.

I'm torn between two different models -- one costs about half as much, but only roasts 4 oz at a time and doesn't have built-in smoke suppression. The more expensive one can do a full pound at a time, and can be run without the windows open. Still trying to figure out how much I really love my coffee, haha.

I'm torn between two different models -- one costs about half as much, but only roasts 4 oz at a time and doesn't have built-in smoke suppression. The more expensive one can do a full pound at a time, and can be run without the windows open. Still trying to figure out how much I really love my coffee, haha.
Links please

Behmor 1600 Plus Roaster

This is the pricy one -- you get about $50 of free coffee beans with it, but it's still a hefty purchase. I think I'd end up sharing a lot more coffee with people if I could make this kind of capacity. (which will also cost me money, haha)

Fresh Roast SR500

Smaller model, but roasts more quickly. It'll probably be the one I go with, but I'll have to roast under my fan vent.

Does anyone on here play cornhole?

A lot of people in the area like playing it, and I can't get into it.
Gary purchased the game for his grandkids (when they visit). While we played, Gary's daughter looked up the rules and terms ... which are much more interesting than the actual game. Apparently, according to the internet, there is a drinking man's/women's version of the game.

Last edited:
But now the root is dead and I have a temporary crown

Word of advise if they didn't tell you. Be very careful of the foods you eat until the permanent crown is on. After the expense and aggravation of the root canal, I bit down on something and the tooth split right down the middle, two days before they were scheduled to install the permanent crown.
Gary agrees with smoke665, Do Not, under any circumstances, eat concrete or any concrete products and byproducts.

We're having a cornhole tournament at school. Every time it gets mentioned on the intercom, kids snicker. Evidently, there's a more adult-like definition of the word too.

The coffee is hardly ever the same from day to day. But it's particularly bad this morning. Oh well.

In a pinch, coffee is coffee and will still deliver the goods, but man does it suck to have to drink bad coffee. Sorry, Dave. May tomorrow's cup be spectacular! :)
Bad coffee sucks.

The wife and I have been having iced coffee with a splash of pumpkin spice creamer. However, the air temps are getting colder. Might be time to move back to hot coffee.

It is Gary's understanding coffee may go bad, as in moldy, but not stale. Aging coffee actually enhances the flavor. Gary interviewed an outfit which aged the brew, but they lost half the coffee to rot/mold ... so it wasn't economically feasible on a commercial basis.

Bad coffee sucks.

Gary enjoys some flavoring every now and then. Gary really enjoys coffee and as a matter of daily routine he doesn't alter the taste with sugar or cream. Gary prefers all of his booze neat, the exception being Margaritas and Sangria. Gary finds Starbucks flavored servings revolting.

Most reactions

Back