The Coffee House

But now the root is dead and I have a temporary crown

Word of advise if they didn't tell you. Be very careful of the foods you eat until the permanent crown is on. After the expense and aggravation of the root canal, I bit down on something and the tooth split right down the middle, two days before they were scheduled to install the permanent crown.

Ouch! Thanks for the warning. It's actually not my first time at the rodeo (this is my 3rd root canal and 4th crown) but it's always good to get a reminder! :) They did warn me not to chew anything sticky on that side because it could pull the temporary crown off.
Do Not eat any petroleum products or petroleum byproducts, like Henry's, don't open that can of Henry's.

We're having a cornhole tournament at school. Every time it gets mentioned on the intercom, kids snicker. Evidently, there's a more adult-like definition of the word too.
Makes me think of this every single time I hear it...
giphy.gif

Does anyone on here play cornhole?

A lot of people in the area like playing it, and I can't get into it.
Gary purchased the game for his grandkids (when they visits). While we played, Gary's daughter looked up the rules and terms ... which are much more interesting than the actual game. Apparently, according to the internet, there is a drinking man's/women's version of the game.
Hmm. Did not know that. The neighbors that play it are way too into it, which turns me off.

They also drink while playing it, but the drinking is separate.

Dave is off work . Going to trade coin rolls in on other rolls. Then going home because he has not the cash nor fuel to do anything else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The wife picked me up a Minolta Maxxum 9, anyone have one? I think I have a 28, and a 50 ad lens for it, not sure if compatible. She said it is clean, looks new. Just curious, I'm confused by all the models.

I spend significantly more time than reasonable to make sure that my coffee is never bad, and it still sometimes is. Today, it's great though.

I might even be getting ready to upgrade my roasting equipment. The Macgyver'd rig I've been using doesn't like running in cold air, so I'm thinking about buying a real roaster that has some filtering so I can run it inside.
ouuuh, ouuuh, ouuuh ... Gary is interested in your results. Gary's been think about a bonafide roaster, as opposed to Gary's popcorn popper. The popper works extremely well (as Gary's limited experience can tell), but, (the big but), it is very unromantic. i.e. The roasting process is more of a task than a pleasurable experience. Every so often, Gary will explore Amazon for 'real' roasters but hasn't performed any real research for a particular model/manufacturer. Gary needs no filtration nor cold weather capabilities. The plus on the popper side of the equation is:

1) The popper is very economical and the one Gary uses is a robust, Made in USA model; and
2) It makes a good tub of popped corn as well,
(unfortunately, the popcorn keeps you up at night).

Last edited:
I can't see very well in the morning.
So a lot of my typing is by memory.
The coffee is hardly ever the same from day to day. But it's particularly bad this morning. Oh well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

In a pinch, coffee is coffee and will still deliver the goods, but man does it suck to have to drink bad coffee. Sorry, Dave. May tomorrow's cup be spectacular! :)
Bad coffee sucks.

The wife and I have been having iced coffee with a splash of pumpkin spice creamer. However, the air temps are getting colder. Might be time to move back to hot coffee.

It definitely sucks. In fact, mine isn't that great this morning. Was running late, so I waited until I got to work to make a cup in my Keurig. It's not my favorite thing to do but I have the reusable cups and use my own coffee, and can manage the water level, so I'm usually able to make a passable cup.

Today, I was at the end of a bag of coffee and I think it had gone kinda stale, so my first cup was kinda meh. But the second cup is from the new bag, so here's hoping! :D

I can't do flavored creamers. Ever since I weaned myself from sugar in college, anything sweet in coffee makes me want to spit it out. I went to college in the late 80s/early 90s and that's when flavored coffees really hit. I used to enjoy hazelnut or cinnamon (back when that meant simply adding cinnamon to the grounds ;) ) but I got bored of that pretty quickly and was over it by the time I got to grad school.
I just cleaned mine out last weekend, made a difference in taste. Been drinking hotel coffee last 4 days, yuk. Ready to be home, so I can enjoy Gary's roast.
You still have some? Gary was feeling guilty as, of late, Gary hasn't made any shipments your way.

Last edited:
It is Gary's understanding coffee may go bad, as in moldy, but not stale. Aging coffee actually enhances the flavor. Gary interviewed an outfit which aged the brew, but they lost half the coffee to rot/mold ... so it wasn't economically feasible on a commercial basis.

Sorry, I disagree. I can smell and taste stale grounds, and neither is better than fresh.

Gary enjoys some flavoring every now and then. Gary really enjoys coffee and as a matter of daily routine he doesn't alter the taste with sugar or cream. Gary prefers all of his booze neat, the exception being Margaritas and Sangria. Gary finds Starbucks flavored servings revolting.

What most people get at Starbucks is not "coffee." They are liquid desserts that contain some coffee. When I go to Starbucks, I order actual coffee with nothing in it. I add a little milk on my way out, and I'm done.

Do Not eat any petroleum products or petroleum byproducts, like Henry's, don't open that can of Henry's.

What' is Henry's?

We're having a cornhole tournament at school. Every time it gets mentioned on the intercom, kids snicker. Evidently, there's a more adult-like definition of the word too.
giphy.gif

YES!! Me too! And then I laugh and laugh and laugh :D

I spend significantly more time than reasonable to make sure that my coffee is never bad, and it still sometimes is. Today, it's great though.

I might even be getting ready to upgrade my roasting equipment. The Macgyver'd rig I've been using doesn't like running in cold air, so I'm thinking about buying a real roaster that has some filtering so I can run it inside.

If you do, please tell us what you get and how it works. I've been wanting to get into my own roasting for quite a while and I might be able to finally do so in a few months.
Gary recommends a popcorn popper as an introductory kit to get you started. Inexpensive and works well, but as Jon noted, you most likely would need to roast outside as the airborne residue isn't very pleasant.

Behmor 1600 Plus Roaster

This is the pricy one -- you get about $50 of free coffee beans with it, but it's still a hefty purchase. I think I'd end up sharing a lot more coffee with people if I could make this kind of capacity. (which will also cost me money, haha)

Fresh Roast SR500

Smaller model, but roasts more quickly. It'll probably be the one I go with, but I'll have to roast under my fan vent.
Dunno, the first looks like a Ronco Chicken Roaster, the second like my Popper. But I like Sweet Maria's as a source of green beans. mmmhhh ... I bet a slight modification to a Ronco (a la - a basket) would turn the Ronco from chicken to coffee.

The wife picked me up a Minolta Maxxum 9, anyone have one? I think I have a 28, and a 50 ad lens for it, not sure if compatible. She said it is clean, looks new. Just curious, I'm confused by all the models.
Minolta made a very good consumer product, back in the day. Good lenses and a solid camera.

It is Gary's understanding coffee may go bad, as in moldy, but not stale. Aging coffee actually enhances the flavor. Gary interviewed an outfit which aged the brew, but they lost half the coffee to rot/mold ... so it wasn't economically feasible on a commercial basis.

Sorry, I disagree. I can smell and taste stale grounds, and neither is better than fresh.

Gary enjoys some flavoring every now and then. Gary really enjoys coffee and as a matter of daily routine he doesn't alter the taste with sugar or cream. Gary prefers all of his booze neat, the exception being Margaritas and Sangria. Gary finds Starbucks flavored servings revolting.

What most people get at Starbucks is not "coffee." They are liquid desserts that contain some coffee. When I go to Starbucks, I order actual coffee with nothing in it. I add a little milk on my way out, and I'm done.

What' is Henry's?

giphy.gif

You, most likely are smelling and tasting the start of rot.

As does Gary, sans cream/milk.

Henry's is an asphalt based roof sealing/patching product.

So glad to see that someone else laughs about this! I do, too! My wife doesn't laugh nearly as hard--probably considered a chuckle or smirk.

And, our really young neighbors didn't know what I was talking about when I said it. :cold:

under any circumstances, eat concrete or any concrete products and byproducts.

Or chew nails? LOL. FYI it was a very tender piece of steak

Most reactions

New Topics

Back