The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is the third time I've gone out to shoot and returned without a decent shot and its very frustrating. Personal issues keep me around home during the week; on the weekend, Washington is quiet except for tourists and so I go into Baltimore.

My preference is always not to be part of the scene and to stay inconspicuous. That is almos impossible in Baltimore; Baltimore is a small, mostly African American city and an old white guy with a camera is noticed. I don't mean to say that there is hostility, not at all, but I am not able to walk around taking shots without people being aware of me.

I've tried to stay away from the flea markets, farmers' markets that I've shot at before, looking for something new to interest me. Unfortunately that hasn't happened and I'm getting to the end of my string.

The most I can hope for is a couple of days in NYC in November and maybe, maybe a short trip to Cuba in February.

upload_2016-10-16_17-56-27.png

I often have similar issues. I will go out to shoot not really knowing what I'm looking for. Just looking to be inspired really and being spontaneous. But once people are aware of your presence they tend to act differently. A lot of the time I go home disappointed.

I find using a telephoto lens helps as you don't need to invade someones space. You can for the most part remain un noticed. But that type of lens might not give you the style of shot you're looking for.

Good luck in NY you're sure to get some good shots there. The city was made for photographers!

Shoot with something like a Sony RX1R II and learn to ask for permission before you photograph.

How can you disagree with me suggesting you ought to read your own signature?
Is this some sort of signal?
Are you being held hostage by some landscape photographers?

This is much too complex for me.

I am going to go right out, approach some strangers and ask them to act natural while I take their picture and then they can sign a declaration that they approve.

That should work.

Why didn't Garry Winogrand think of that?

Im in a similar situation where it is hard to feel comfortable ( and unconspicuous) with the camera in an unknown ( new) environment and take photos of strangers. I think just doing it more is the answer.

Now as far as the controversy if the thread goes, can you have permission and be cndid at the same time?

If there is nonexpectation of privacy I wouldnt expect to ask because there is no invasion?

I count 10 children and 50 adults ( quick count I have all day but really...) does @chuasam expect to ask these people?

Excuse me sir.
May I take your picture?
Yes, great. Now put your head down and make believe you're asleep.
And you with the moustache, stop smiling.
upload_2016-10-17_14-48-45.png

I can't even get my family to relax and ignore my camera, there's no way I would expect strangers to do so. Really a telephoto is the only way to be sort of incognito - of course you're further away but then you have this giant lens screaming PHOTOGRAPHER!!!!! so that's not much of a solution either. Personally, I'm very uncomfortable taking photos of strangers and shy away from any type of street photography because of that.

As far as permission, it depends on how the photos might be used - for retail or commercial use a photographer needs permission/release signed; for editorial use it's not usually required but may be requested by a media outlet. ASMP has a pocket release and an app.

If you need a release signed, you could still get the candid shot and then interact with the person and get permission to use their image. Even if you don't need a release it depends on the situation but there may be times you'll need to interact with the subject. I've found doing sports and events it takes a certain amount of knowing how to interact with people. I also found that people would look, then realize I was not that interesting to watch and quit looking at me, and then I could get the shots I wanted.

I think there are different circumstances today than in Winogrand's era. It's something to think about, not just how and when to interact with subjects, but how and where you intend to use photos. Even if you're in public and able to take pictures there, that doesn't mean people won't be uncomfortable about where pictures of them will end up and react accordingly. Seems to be a matter of how to get the photos while doing so in a respectful way.

IMO the best thing to do is just get the shot you're looking for by any means necessary. Whether it's a telephoto lens or asking permission. At least in most cases you won't go home disappointed. After you get the shot then go up to that person or people and show them your photo and then offer to send it to them. The worst thing that can happen is they make you delete it.

Winogrand (referenced above) always looked like he was trying to figure out his camera and it put people at ease. He once answered the question, "Do you feel bad about the pictures you miss while you are reloading?" “No,” he replied, “there are no pictures when I reload.”
In the film, he definitely looked like he wished he had gotten those pictures as he was reloading, and even said "Picked a bad time to run out of film."

He spent most of his time looking around and very little time looking through the veiwfinder, putting it to his eye for very minimal amounts of time just to get the frame (some times less than a second) so he was seen as someone sightseeing and not so much someone taking pictures.
People are more intimidated by an eye behind a lens than just an eye looking at them. Make the shots fast and drop the camera back down quickly seemed to be his mantra. I don't know if it will work for you, or if you already do that, but if not, it can't hurt to give it a 'shot'. :)

Make the shots fast and drop the camera back down quickly seemed to be his mantra. I don't know if it will work for you, or if you already do that, but if not, it can't hurt to give it a 'shot'

Pretty sure I saw that exact advice from @The_Traveler when I first joined this site.

Most reactions

Back