The Megapixel Race.......Nikon's next step?

HERE is a link to the Bessa 667 (switchable between 6x6 or 6x7 cm images) folding medium format rollfilm camera. There have been many other cameras like this before from various manufacturers. Now THIS kind of a camera might actually be useful with the 44x33 type "medium format" sensor. The lens on this kind of a camera need not be all that fancy...and it avoids the need for an all-new lens mount AND at the same time, it keeps the actual lens size and weight very,very low. This design also has a very retro appeal, which I think many would like. If you've ever owned a folder (I have) you also know how EASY one is to carry in the field! A folder like this is also a VERY simple mechanism. Voigtlander Bessa III Rangefinder Folding Camera Black AA667M

Thing is if you make a mirrorless with a fullframe sensor your lenses have to be the same size.

That is not quite correct. Short flange distance allows for mirrorless lenses to be made smaller, cheaper, and lighter (wide-angle lenses in particular), and for wider apertures than DSLR lenses. And that means - same quality/max aperture/focal distance lenses for the same sensor size.

True and pancake lenses are becoming more popular as well so for shorter range stuff its more possible; though f2.8 or wider glass is still going to come with some weight to it - and anything over 100mm is going to get bigger.

The bigger question though is ergonomics. film cameras were restricted by the way film worked; DSLRs have kept the look but really when you look at it its not perfect. Indeed mirrorless cut down on a lot of holding space for a setup (esp if you don't have dainty hands).

Mirrorless removes more restrictions and thus barring the LCD suggests that they could go for a totally new erganomic design.

I'm coming into this conversation a little late, but I remember very well when the 5 mega pixel camera came out and everyone was convinced it was the best thing to come along since perforated toilet paper.

On a computer screen, a magazine, or even a billboard 100 feet away being driven by at 60mph, 99.9% of the people on the planet can't tell the difference in megapixels.

My current systems the Nikon D3 and Mamiya Leaf Credo 80 are scoffed at by some photographers on both ends of the spectrum. One being too low and the other being too high.

Never in all my years has one single client ever cared what camera system I used, raw vs jpeg, dslr vs mf, or anything else that photographers get all riled up about.

If you think that a 50 + megapixel camera will automatically transform your photography into masterpieces or make the job that much easier, well more power to you.

On a computer screen, a magazine, or even a billboard 100 feet away being driven by at 60mph, 99.9% of the people on the planet can't tell the difference in megapixels.

Couldn't disagree more. It has all be covered here before, so I won't go into it again, but yes, there is a difference.

I think the most impressive comparison I've ever seen was when I was shown two 24 Megapixel images, of the same subject, both full of detail, and was asked to point out which was from the Nikon D3x (24 Megapixels native) and which from the D3s (12 Megapixels), but upscaled. I had to think really, really long because I just couldnt figure out which is which, and in the end I was sure I figured out which one had more detail ... but it turned out I was wrong.

Ever since I'm much less into Megapixels than before.

Short flange distance allows for mirrorless lenses to be made smaller, cheaper, and lighter (wide-angle lenses in particular), and for wider apertures than DSLR lenses. And that means - same quality/max aperture/focal distance lenses for the same sensor size.
Well, thats correct, but unfortunately, on the digital sensor you also have to solve the problem of steep angles of the light.

My gut feeling ?
Yes Nikon will replace the "small" 36MP sensor on the D820 with a 50MP+ sensor.
I dont care, as long as they will continue to make good general use camera with 24MP (or so) sensors then I am happy.
I like good resolution so I can crop if needed my pictures but I also like good low light performance and I think 24MP is a good place to stay and just keep improving those low light high ISO performance.
Yes like native iso's of 25,50,64 please !!!

My gut feeling ?
I dont care, as long as they will continue to make good general use camera with 24MP (or so) sensors then I am happy.
I like good resolution so I can crop if needed my pictures but I also like good low light performance and I think 24MP is a good place to stay and just keep improving those low light high ISO performance.

I wonder why this hasn't been done yet? It would be nice to have a built in 10 stop ND.

My gut feeling ?

I wonder why this hasn't been done yet? It would be nice to have a built in 10 stop ND.

Video cameras have had built in ND filters for years.

just think. All those mps i wouldnt even have to frame shots. i could just snap away and crop the chit out of every one.

No, they should make cameras with built in IR filters--because that's what everyone needs.

No, look at rangefinder lenses.
Uh ... if you are talking about Leica - those are small because:

(a) they are all (or almost all) primes (which has to be this way because of how rangefinders work),
(b) do not need space for an autofocus motor and other gimmicks, and finally
(c) because Leica managed to handle steep light angles by making their sensor have much finer structures than other sensors, thus being able to place the photo diode much closer to the surface. This allows to avoid using retrofocal constructions in the wide angle lenses, which make them both much smaller and of higher image quality.

Sony FE lenses mostly do not have these benefits.

True and pancake lenses are becoming more popular as well so for shorter range stuff its more possible; though f2.8 or wider glass is still going to come with some weight to it - and anything over 100mm is going to get bigger.

The bigger question though is ergonomics. film cameras were restricted by the way film worked; DSLRs have kept the look but really when you look at it its not perfect. Indeed mirrorless cut down on a lot of holding space for a setup (esp if you don't have dainty hands).

Mirrorless removes more restrictions and thus barring the LCD suggests that they could go for a totally new erganomic design.

I'm not sure how film cameras were restricted by the way film worked i also have big hands and have no trouble with my small Leica M's and A7, i also never put grips on my DSLR's

No, look at rangefinder lenses.
Uh ... if you are talking about Leica - those are small because:

(a) they are all (or almost all) primes (which has to be this way because of how rangefinders work),
(b) do not need space for an autofocus motor and other gimmicks, and finally
(c) because Leica managed to handle steep light angles by making their sensor have much finer structures than other sensors, thus being able to place the photo diode much closer to the surface. This allows to avoid using retrofocal constructions in the wide angle lenses, which make them both much smaller and of higher image quality.

Sony FE lenses mostly do not have these benefits.

All M lenses are primes apart from the WATE and MATE which are 3 primes in one lens

Most reactions

New Topics

Back