Things are different around the world.... really

The only two times that I have been over to the States I was down south (Texas, primarily).

And with how we know our "iced tea", ready made and bought in cartons, to be had like what you call "soda", we expected to get the same when we ordered "iced tea" in a restaurant. Whoa! All different: mostly ice-cubes (with a distinct taste of "swimming pool" :shock: ), and unsweetened tea. Our son, who had to follow a very strict diet when he was little, could not have anything other than either the "iced tea" that we knew from home, or water. Poor boy of 5 ... it was water for him then (with a distinct taste of "swimming pool").

And what Alison calls "warm soda" is actually stomach-friendly - still cold - coke or so, yet it is a FULL GLASS of just that, and not a glass FULL OF ICE CUBES with only as much coke around them as would then still fit in the glass - so when you get to finish your coke, it all tastes like water (with a distinct taste of swimming pool). I once ordered my coke "without ice, please", since it was refrigerated so the glass would turn damp the moment the coke touched it, and the lady behind the counter just glowered at me --- how dare I order the full amount, makes the amount of THREE glasses of coke, in fact! Grrr! But well...

So here we don't put ice cubes into our drinks, or if that is done, you will find yours truly and her sister and her friends and so on and on fish them out of it and put them to the side!

Beer has a froth on top! And it takes 7 minutes to draft a good Pils!

Bagged milk was an attempt in the shops here some 15 years ago, for environmental reason (less waste), but the idea could not spread. I, for my part, stopped buying it after three times in a row one bag had got punctured by whatever else I was having in my shopping bag, so I used to unpack groceries swimming in milk. Bleah! No longer. Cartons for me at any time! Please!

No one in Germany can understand how you might ever enjoy having your chips (French fries) with VINEGAR like they have it in Britain. But chips with mayonnese are ok (though too fattening!!!).

And instant coffee is not the thing here. To make yourself a cup of coffee does not mean you spoon some instant coffee powder into your cup, pour hot water, stir and there's your coffee. No.

We find American fridges HUGE. A whole piece of furniture in the kitchen. Ours are much smaller and mine is integrated in the fitted kitchen so you would not be able to tell which of the cupboard doors is the one to the fridge (if it weren't for the ventilation below it).

We don't know any ice machines here. But then why would we need them, we, who we drink "warm soda" ;) ???

Of course, in Germany, they also have Water stations for dogs, shade and all! ;)

From my travels there, I believe it says Hunde Bistro. Rather amusing :). Now.. a question for LaFoto, is there a soda/pop in Germany that isn't really popular everywhere else, but kids love? That is one part about Germany I will remember... except the name of the drink!
64106210_51ccefb5cd.jpg

You might mean Fanta?

And one thing that has just sprung to mind: we her wash our clothes warm/hot in the washing machine. (30°C or 40°C or 60°C or even 95°C).

So yes.
Our clocks are different here, too!!!! ;) :lol:

Apparantly not. At least not last time I had a pop option! ;)

Maybe they are selling Inca Cola from Peru up here now too, and I know I already mentioned this but Vernors :drool: Yum!

Peanuts said:
Apparantly not. At least not last time I had a pop option! ;)

Maybe they are selling Inca Cola from Peru up here now too, and I know I already mentioned this but Vernors :drool: Yum!
Vernors is the greatest thing that has ever been. I wish they sold it here on the East coast...
But back in Houston! Yum, Yum. G'night, all!

Beer in Germany is so much better than the crappy lager we get in England. My cousin lives in Dusseldorf and i visit him quite a bit. He tells me that it is not allowed to put preservatives in beer over there, unlike here.

Favourite German beers:
Maisel Weiss
Paulaner
and Fruh

Strange food combination i discovered in germany was the Huge Sausage in a crasaunt (sp). Tastes nice though when your drunk on german beer :D

clarinetJWD said:
Hey Corinna, just wondering (completely off-topic here, but that's OK) WHat time is it there right now?
Germany's +1 from London Time, +8 from Salt Lake Time (where I live), +6 from Baltimore Time, where I presume that you live, Which makes it about 9 AM in Deustchland (hope I spelled that right:confused: ) right now (8AM London, 1AM Salt Lake, 3AM Baltimore) !!

And I still haven't done my PreCalc! *GASP*

You were just right when you sent your post, FlightShadow, and you got the spelling of Deutschland almost right (you only mixed up the s and the t).

And "Früh" is not the Pils-variety of beers, "Früh" is Kölsch. That beer is different and does not need to "grow" for 7 minutes in the glass before it is served, it goes into those narrow, tall glasses straight away.

And Maisel's Weisse is a mixture of beer with fruit syrup ("Berliner Weisse"), whereas "Paulaner" is a wheat beer (not barley, which is the usual main ingedient for beers).

You are quite right: the "Deutsches Reinheitsgebot" (a Law that says beer must be "clean", i.e. from from any additives such as preservatives) prescribes that beer must only consist of clear water, barley (or wheat) and hop. Nothing else.

Ah well, and you come to Düsseldorf regularly and then don't drink "Alt" (dark beer)? How come. And hey, going out for a beer in Düsseldorf is great fun! When we still lived only an hour from there, we used to go there more often. Now it is 3 1/2 - 4 hours from where we are...

LaFoto said:
The only two times that I have been over to the States I was down south (Texas, primarily).

And with how we know our "iced tea", ready made and bought in cartons, to be had like what you call "soda", we expected to get the same when we ordered "iced tea" in a restaurant. Whoa! All different: mostly ice-cubes (with a distinct taste of "swimming pool" :shock: ), and unsweetened tea. Our son, who had to follow a very strict diet when he was little, could not have anything other than either the "iced tea" that we knew from home, or water. Poor boy of 5 ... it was water for him then (with a distinct taste of "swimming pool").

And what Alison calls "warm soda" is actually stomach-friendly - still cold - coke or so, yet it is a FULL GLASS of just that, and not a glass FULL OF ICE CUBES with only as much coke around them as would then still fit in the glass - so when you get to finish your coke, it all tastes like water (with a distinct taste of swimming pool). I once ordered my coke "without ice, please", since it was refrigerated so the glass would turn damp the moment the coke touched it, and the lady behind the counter just glowered at me --- how dare I order the full amount, makes the amount of THREE glasses of coke, in fact! Grrr! But well...

So here we don't put ice cubes into our drinks, or if that is done, you will find yours truly and her sister and her friends and so on and on fish them out of it and put them to the side!

Trust me, a lot of us US folks fume over the amount of ice they put in drinks at resturaunts as well. We generally ask for "light ice" or "easy on the ice". The swimming pool taste would be chorline. Some cities insist on putting that in their tap water (along with flouride and a number of other potentially hazardous chemicals that are supposed to be good for you). Yet another reason I have a water filter on my refridgerator. Nice, unchemicaled water...yum!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back