Things are different around the world.... really

Constant problem with my kids!
And constant cause for pleas with their daddy for "PLEASE!" can they have a second glass?
You're right.
No refills.

REFILLS :shock: !?!?!?!?!? Never heard of it :scratch:

It really sucks not having free refills... Also, in Germany the food takes so long to get to you... you finish the drink before the food gets there.. :confused:
Also, having coldcuts and bread in the morning(with sparkle water) really gets old after a few weeks.. :lmao:

hobbes28 said:
Speaking of drinks... one thing that got me by surprise in Germany is that most restaurants don't give free refills on soda. You learn very quickly how to make that .30l glass last the whole meal. :D

Recently for our anniversary my boyfriend took me to one of the nicer restaraunts in the area...the glasses were SO small, and they didn't offer free refills either!!!! They charged you for everyone! I bet one glass was only half a can of soda, and they charged more than a dollar each.

Well, you are supposed to have the coldcuts and bread with COFFEE in the morning! Hmph!
By the way, I don't like coldcuts in the morning AT ALL.
Bread and jam or honey or sometimes (special treat for me) Nutella, yes. Over and again. But not coldcuts.

And definitely NOT with sparkling water! Whoa, shiver! ;) :mrgreen:

Isn't the US the only country to offer coffee/soft drink refills? They don't have them here, except in US restaurants!

Rob

You get coffee refills here in some places...not usually soda tho. Jus depends on the place.
And that's only places that serve the cheapo percolated coffe....usually stale and watery....yuck!

Here in Germany you usually buy either just a CUP of coffee (and get only that one cup for the price) or a "Kännchen", a little pot that contains about two cups. No refills on that, either. It is a fixed price. Restaurant coffee is usually much stronger than I have it at home, and I have mine strong, compared to what my dad brews...

In the States I was surprised that you order "coffee" (instead of "a cup of coffee" or "a 'Kännchen'") and that word then is as infinite as it sounds... But I thought that was not bad.

What I LOVE about British guesthouses etc. is the tea and coffee making facilitities in the room included in the price. I LOVE that!!!! Some even have some bisquits there with the coffee... hmmmm! Very nice.

Pizza hut does free pepsi refills - but only if you order the huge glass to start with. It's like a pint of pepsi and then you can have some more :)

In London, ppl mind!

CRW_4515t-vi.jpg

Here, we watch! :D

I just don't understand the no refills... It costs about $.08 to $.12 per glass (big glasses, mind you) to fill em up. If they charge $1.50, you'd have to be really thirsty to hurt the restaurant. There's nothing worse than having stuff left to eat, and nothing to drink along-side...

Most restaurants around here have "Non-Stop Pop"...same with Coffee. The exception is that some places (fast food) don't offer free refills because either people hang out all day and only buy one coffee (seinors)...or a group of people buy on or two drinks (teenagers).

If you pay $4.00 for a Starbucks coffee....you sure ain't getting a refill. I'd rather sit in a diner and pay $1.29 for as much as I want.

speaking of "pop"... what do you call it around your parts, everyone?

Here in Baltimore it seems to be plain ol' 'soda', but in Houston, everything is "coke"
Ex:
"May I help you"
"Yeah, I'd like a Coke."
"What kind?"
"Pepsi."
"Would you like to super-size it?" (They never miss in Houston...)
"Of course! Make mine a bucket!"

We call all soda "Coke" here in AL too. Even though Coke has resorted to sending secret shoppers to various fast food places, etc and has them order "Coke". If they are served a Pepsi or other soda without clarification they hit them with a trademark infringement lawsuit. If "Coke" becomes completely accepted slang then Pepsi or anyone else can go to court and have the trademark ruled null and void.

Most reactions

Back