Thinking to buy Nikon D5200 DSLR. Is that a good choice??

Pown

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi

After a long research I am just thinking to buy Nikon D5200 as my first DSLR, I have used my friend's Nikon D3100 before and i learnt something, I am not a beginner. .

I am just looking for a mid range DSLR, so i thought D5200 suits me, Please advice.

Thanks

Nikon D5200 is a good solid camera, has same sensor as the D7100 so it has good IQ, good DR and good low light performance.
I think its an excellent value for money.

Good luck

Hi

After a long research I am just thinking to buy Nikon D5200 as my first DSLR, I have used my friend's Nikon D3100 before and i learnt something, I am not a beginner. .

I am just looking for a mid range DSLR, so i thought D5200 suits me, Please advice.

Thanks

Can't go wrong with a d5200 - I own one, it's a great camera all the way around.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Solid choice.

D5200 is nice, however at moment New D7000 seem to be same price. No rotating screen and 16mp but better in many ways. It's worth comparing before purchase.

Hi

Thanks

I own the D5200. It's a good camera. There are some features I miss that the D7100 could provide, but that price-jump does feel quite big between the two cameras.

Thank you guys for the advice, Let me compare D7000 as on of the friend suggested, But my mind is chanting D5200 anyway :)

It's a good camera but I would get a D7100 it offers a lot more than just great IQ if you can afford it it's the way to go,but only my opinion !!

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the advice, Let me compare D7000 as on of the friend suggested, But my mind is chanting D5200 anyway :)

D7000 has a lot of back focus problems,do a search on it.

I only had this camera for a short time (had to get the D7100 for its' more advanced features). But I felt it's metering was very good, the AF system offered much more flexibility than the D3200 I had been using and the 24mp was useful to me, allowing some cropping flexibility in post, if I needed it. I also liked how light it was - very convenient for day hikes.

Go for D5300 if you don't use older lenses!!

In my opinion, the D5300 is too close in price to the D7100 to warrant the price hike over the D5200. The only reason to get the D5300 currently would be if you need 60 fps 1080p video.

Go for D5300 if you don't use older lenses!!

In my opinion, the D5300 is too close in price to the D7100 to warrant the price hike over the D5200. The only reason to get the D5300 currently would be if you need 60 fps 1080p video.

Well on the upside the D5300 does remove the AA filter and also adds both GPS and Wifi - so if someone were very interested in those features that might be something that would make it worth it for them. On the downside there is a confirmed problem with the D5300 and some of the Sigma lenses, they apparently have issues with autofocusing using live view as well as the OS feature not working properly with the D5300 on some Sigma lenses.

Sigma has offered a free update to the firmware that will fix the issue, but it does require on any sigma lens that doesn't have the ability to update via USB (which is a lot of them) you have to ship it back to Sigma and have them update it, which is kind of a pain. So me, sticking with my D5200, will wait for the D7200 to be released, and will then decide if maybe I should go D7200 or pick up a D7100 after the prices on the used ones drop like a stone because all the D7100 folks will be upgrading to the D7200 and selling off their old ones on Ebay.

Well on the upside the D5300 does remove the AA filter and also adds both GPS and Wifi - so if someone were very interested in those features that might be something that would make it worth it for them. On the downside there is a confirmed problem with the D5300 and some of the Sigma lenses, they apparently have issues with autofocusing using live view as well as the OS feature not working properly with the D5300 on some Sigma lenses. Sigma has offered a free update to the firmware that will fix the issue, but it does require on any sigma lens that doesn't have the ability to update via USB (which is a lot of them) you have to ship it back to Sigma and have them update it, which is kind of a pain. So me, sticking with my D5200, will wait for the D7200 to be released, and will then decide if maybe I should go D7200 or pick up a D7100 after the prices on the used ones drop like a stone because all the D7100 folks will be upgrading to the D7200 and selling off their old ones on Ebay.

True and true. I feel the D5300 is a good buy given that it uses the latest tech and also Expeed 4. IQ is comparable to D7100. My only real complains are there's no weather sealing and it can't AF older lenses. It has great value for a mid entry level cam. Price wise I think the D7100 has dropped but still quite far off from the D5300 no?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back