Third party Nikon lens/body focus motor compatibility?

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found a handy chart that lists which nikon lens' work with which bodies, but I am having trouble figuring out the same information for the Sigma 150 non os Macro I am getting. Obviously it will work on my current camera, but I am still considering letting the sony go, and getting a nikon backup body. I am wondering how to tell if something like a d5100 would support the lens or not. Is there some sort of keyword I am missing in my search?

Thanks for the help!

Sigma uses the term HSM for Hypersonic Motor focusing, which is their in-lens motor system, which is what the "baby Nikons" need for AF...an in-lens focusing motor.

The short and sweet rule is: if the lens has a focusing motor, AF will work on your camera. If the lens doesn't have a focusing motor, then AF will not work because the D5100 doesn't have a built in focusing motor.

[edit]If you have the lens in your hand and you see this screw type of things on the mount,
af.JPG

then it needs a camera body with a focusing motor for AF to work

Sigma uses the term HSM for Hypersonic Motor focusing, which is their in-lens motor system, which is what the "baby Nikons" need for AF...an in-lens focusing motor.
Thanks so much for sharing your expertise Derrel! This one is an HSM so it should work.
The short and sweet rule is: if the lens has a focusing motor, AF will work on your camera. If the lens doesn't have a focusing motor, then AF will not work because the D5100 doesn't have a built in focusing motor.

[edit]If you have the lens in your hand and you see this screw type of things on the mount,
af.JPG

then it needs a camera body with a focusing motor for AF to work
Good to know, I really appreciate the visual. It helps me a lot, thank you!

I think you'd really like a 150mm f/2.8 lens...for a few decades, Nikon has made a 180mm f/2.8 lens as a lightweight field telephoto...but many times 180mm is just a bit too long in social situations...and for macro shooting, the added length of a 150mm over a 90mm or 105mm macro gives a noticeable difference in how far back one can place the camera and still get a large close-up image. I think the 150 Sigma would be a better lens than the 135/2 Defocus Control Nikkor for portraiture and just general telephoto uses. I really hope you get the 150. I'm not sure if it's this lens or another macro, but I seem to recall some people talking on-line about how the newer, stabilized lens was not as good, not as pretty an imager as the older, original model...something makes me think this is the lens that was said about. I know Roger Cicala at Lensrentals.com said the Tamron 28-75 VC SUCKS compared against the performance of the older, non-VC predecessor lens, to the extent that he stated in writing that selling off the old lenses and ordering all-new VC models was one of his single biggest photographic blunders in his lifetime...

I think you'd really like a 150mm f/2.8 lens...for a few decades, Nikon has made a 180mm f/2.8 lens as a lightweight field telephoto...but many times 180mm is just a bit too long in social situations...and for macro shooting, the added length of a 150mm over a 90mm or 105mm macro gives a noticeable difference in how far back one can place the camera and still get a large close-up image. I think the 150 Sigma would be a better lens than the 135/2 Defocus Control Nikkor for portraiture and just general telephoto uses. I really hope you get the 150. I'm not sure if it's this lens or another macro, but I seem to recall some people talking on-line about how the newer, stabilized lens was not as good, not as pretty an imager as the older, original model...something makes me think this is the lens that was said about. I know Roger Cicala at Lensrentals.com said the Tamron 28-75 VC SUCKS compared against the performance of the older, non-VC predecessor lens, to the extent that he stated in writing that selling off the old lenses and ordering all-new VC models was one of his single biggest photographic blunders in his lifetime...
I have read the same thing about the so version not being quite as good. Apparently this lens is REALLY hard to find. Only can find 2 old versions on eBay both were canon mounts and quite a bit more than I am paying, there was a nikon mount, but u couldn't get the page to load, so *shrug*.....I am DEFINITELY getting the lens. In fact I've already traded my sony 18-200 for it, (I had to leave it there since their buying roe wasn't working when I went in) so it's on hold at the shop for me. It comes with a 6 month warranty also, so I am pretty happy about that, especially since it seems to be priced so low....it makes me a bit skeptical, but the shop gets 5 *'s on 3 review sites so I think there's nothing to worry about. I'm probably waiting until my tamron comes in to pick it up though. It's over a 2 hour drive round trip so I'm trying really hard to be patient and not waste too much time and gas. (Not to mention cranky kids from the drive)

I finally found some portraits taken with it and HOLY BOKEH. It was gorgeous. I've been dying for a macro, though I wasn't planning on buying one just yet- I'm pretty sure fate brought me to this lens. Hahaha!

The lens was never really the issue though, it's the backup bodies I am considering....I'm still trying to figure out what to do about my sony. Right now, I have a nex7 with a 50 and no other compadable lenses. So should I keep the nikon as backup? Get an adapter and use the focus peaking for macro work? Or just ditch sony completely before it degrades in value anymore.... (Opinions on this always welcome)

Whatever I decide- at least I know it has an HSM motor and will work on any backup nikon camera I have at the time. :)

Most reactions

Back