This is why ritz sucks.

Ihaveaquestion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
They dont come out like this in my prints but on the cd they look like crap?

Whats with the scratches?

flowerscopy1.jpg

Dude ritz sucks on some many levels...and you've just added new one. That does suck.

I dunno how they get the finished product onto the CD. But maybe they scanned it after developping and printing and when they were scanning it they scratched all the negatives.

I don't use film, but my wife has had good luck with getting her film developed at WalMart.
Ritz doesn't really suck. Quantaray lenses suck, but I've got some good stuff at Ritz...including my 20D (for a competitive price).

This woman who works at my local ritz.. which happens to be the ONLY place aside from NYC which is 40 mins away that actually has a decent selection of photography equipment... where was I.. oh right... she's a real *****.

Ritz is WAY overpriced. If you want an enlargement, I wouldn't suggest you even walk near one. Their picture cds are completely useless if you have a scanner. Moral of the story: Ritz sucks.

I've had bad experiences with Ritz/Wolf... can you tell? ;)

Normally my CD pictures have more visible marks than my prints. Nothing a quick photoshop job can't fix though. But I find I have to get CD with the prints. In some of my pictures that have clouds, the prints shows no clouds at all.
The print of this
http://www.deviantart.com/view/19768601/
has no visible clouds and you can barely see the mountains.

a lot if not most of ritz labs use a stand alone system for scanning negs and slides to cd so if they just slap the film on the scanner then you are going to get dust. as far as ritz goes the best scans i have seen from there are when the lab happens to use the fuji frontier because they scan them as they print them or scan them the same way they would print them.

Unless you go to a true digital lab that scans high resolution scans and then you are going to pay multiple dollars per scan, speed is the only reason to take to a lab like ritz you could get as good if not better scans by buying a scanner yourself. Most scanners are slow going when you scan negs though, unless you go with a high end nikon scanner or something like that.

BernieSC said:
a lot if not most of ritz labs use a stand alone system for scanning negs and slides to cd so if they just slap the film on the scanner then you are going to get dust. as far as ritz goes the best scans i have seen from there are when the lab happens to use the fuji frontier because they scan them as they print them or scan them the same way they would print them.

Unless you go to a true digital lab that scans high resolution scans and then you are going to pay multiple dollars per scan, speed is the only reason to take to a lab like ritz you could get as good if not better scans by buying a scanner yourself. Most scanners are slow going when you scan negs though, unless you go with a high end nikon scanner or something like that.

At walgreens we use the frontier and not only that, vacuum the negatives.

Edit: man i've made 4 posts, and all 4 have included the word walgreens. i'm so lame... next time i won't...i promise.

that is most likely dust on the neg, or scratches on the neg. This wouldn't be in the scanner - that would be lines across the photo...

The reason why scans done at 1 hour places look crap, is the settings are set rather low. I assume one of the reasons is time. Otherwise it would take forever, and you would no longer be able to run as a 1 hour lab.

I've got tons of films to be scanned. Where do you suggest me to go?

Last summer I went to Ritz and it was decent. Now I am at a different location. I still got the membership card which will save me a little money.

any ideas?

molested_cow said:
I've got tons of films to be scanned. Where do you suggest me to go?

Last summer I went to Ritz and it was decent. Now I am at a different location. I still got the membership card which will save me a little money.

any ideas?

spend the 300 bucks to get a slide and negative scanner...best film investment ever.

Ritz really sucks. I have the exact same problem from them. They're extremely overpriced, too, especially for the kind of service they provide. They almost always scratch my film. Especially my slides. And it makes the problem even worse because I scan and print my photos at home using a film scanner, which means that I have to go in Photoshop for each photo and fix it myself. Luckily the people who work at the Ritz around the corner (literally, around the corner) are pretty nice. But they still do a poor job processing. But I'm lucky because I've recently found a good lab only about 2 miles from my house. And there's a Calumet Photo store less than 5 miles away, which has a huge stock of photography equipment and film (much bigger than Ritz's). So now I never have a need to go to Ritz anymore, except when I need something really quickly. Their location does make it so convenient.

MDowdey said:
spend the 300 bucks to get a slide and negative scanner...best film investment ever.
I'm curious about how a slide and negative scanner works. Do you get programs to color them on your computer or anything like that? Might make a thread asking about them.

vonDrehle said:
I'm curious about how a slide and negative scanner works. Do you get programs to color them on your computer or anything like that? Might make a thread asking about them.

Nope it takes care of itself...they are back lite and the scanner does all the work...you will more than likely need to go into a photoediting program to tweak the colors, level, contrast. i've used epson scanner for some time. good stuff. just be weary that some scanner will only scan 35mm and other will scan medium format and large format as well...also all should be able to scan pro B&W and color negs too.

Most reactions

Back