this one I am proud of

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by JustAMom, Mar 25, 2007.

1. JustAMom

JustAMom TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i think i did well with this i just wish my son would have looked up more... guess he was really into what he was doing...

please critique.

[​IMG]

2. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good picture, but the editing to the color is too obvious in the upper left corner.

3. tahmail

tahmail TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Maybe crop this and "zoom in" a bit on the subject so there isn't as much background to distract.
    [​IMG]

4. dewey

dewey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I might crop and straighten it a bit... good capture!

I also agree with the color in the top left - it's a bit distracting. The background is also too busy for me. My eyes are fighting to go between the child and the bench.

5. JustAMom

JustAMom TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i love it with the square crop too, thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

6. Peacemaker636

Peacemaker636 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the subject a lot, very nice job on that. The background is pretty busy though and is fairly distracting. In the future, this can be avoided by possibly getting a lens with more DOF, but of course that's not always an option (either because of expense, or not enough time to switch lenses), so you can always change your line of sight so there's less in the background.

Of course, when there's sentimental value in a photo, it's better to have a picture that isn't perfect than to not have one at all.

7. gmarquez

gmarquez TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    From an artistic sense, I agree, in future pictures where you can't avoid a busy background, have the background be out of focus (shallow depth-of-field) in a pleasant way (bokeh?)

I like the "pose" and the reflection...however, even with candid shots, I am always aware of the background, and you can often see me circling my subjects (family members) trying to capture a good moment with a nice background as well.

8. hazzayoungn

hazzayoungn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i think hes very cute

i added curves, brightness contrast, and saturation hue, and a slight vignette, as well as slight rotation and crop to get rid of the empty space. i think it might be a little dark though

[​IMG]

9. Thor06

Thor06 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow, I think that is an excellent picture. I like the original pic, but I second the more DOF comment, it does get a bit distracting. Just imagine what he'll say when he gets older and you show it to him!

10. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    IMO, the important qustion is why is the square format picture above much more successful?

Not because square is inherently better but for three reasons: 1) the obvious off-vertical pole is removed
    2) the distracting excess at the top is removed
    and 3) the pose is sort-of-square so the subject is framed better.

However the cropped to square makes it seem a little like the top border is pressing on his head.

Starightenting, blurring the background and 4 x5 crop makes a pleasant picture. (With a full-res image I would have selectively sharpened the figure of the little boy and done more to blur the background and the pavement behind him)

Assuming color balance and exposure have already been corrected, for any picture of mine that has an interesting content, I look at these things in order: 1) make things that should be vertical (or horizontal) correct. That eliminates distraction - unless that issue is important to keep.)

2) I try to crop to remove things that don't contribute to the image and place the object of interest in a good portion of the frame.

3) I try to correct the parts I couldn't remove in 2 by darkening or lightening or blurring as required.

[​IMG]

11. Martha

Martha TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    aww....I like all the edited options shown....I think the picture itself though is PRICELESS...Granted I do agree the background was busy...but I LOVE that he's not looking at the camera...I'm a candid lover though...I love smiling pics too but candids truely capture the moment IMO>

12. Thor06

Thor06 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just so you know this picture made me have a dream this girl I like and I had a baby that looked just like yours...