This really sucks (fixed!)

markc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.markcarpenter.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I found out why I was having short-focusing issues. I thought it might have been the 10D, as some models have been known to have issues with it, but it turns out it's my 50mm f1.4 lens. The focus ring stops just short of the 10' mark in both auto and manual mode. Grrrr.....

markc said:
Oh wow. Look at what I just found: http://www.pmb.net/projects/canon_lens.html

The same lens even! I'm going to give it a try. I've rebuilt carburetors and such, so I don't think this will be all that hard. I'm hoping it's just a piece of something stuck in the gears.

Looking good! If you try to clean it, may I suggest a few things:

-work on a very well lit area.
-place a large white towel on the working table, that way you'll be able to see every little screw that comes out or drops out of the camera; the towel will also keep the screws/parts from bouncing off and therefore losing them on the floor.
-if possible, wear watchmaker's goggles or magnifiers.
-find the best mini screwdrivers and fine tools, it's an investment you'll be glad you made.
-after cleaning it, set all the parts aside where they can breathe but not be bothered by dust (a clean glass dish or cooking pot covered with a no-lint cloth) so all the solvants/liquids used, like alcohol, will have enough time to fully evaporate before re-assembling the lens.
-very important: have a note book where you jot down where every little screw or part came from and in what order, it'll help you with re-assembly.

Wishing you luck with this project, let me know the progress.

Thanks for the advice, mitica. Luckily I didn't have to go far. I pulled out the three screws, the retaining ring, and the focus ring to find a loose screw sitting where it didn't belong. Luckily it didn't gnash up any of the plastic gears. It looks like it came out of the center of the main focus gear, but I don't have any way of getting it back in without getting really deep into deconstruction. There's a retaining clip holding the gear in place and the lens works great as it is, so I'm just going to live with it for now.

I had noticed a rattle just after I bought it off eBay that would come and go, so now I know what it is. If the gear hasn't popped out so far, I think I'm safe.

:D

Man! It's good you decided to see what was wrong instead of forcing the focus manually! You probably just saved yourself a huge repair bill or a new lens!

Well done Mark!
Impressive performance there but my guess is that the screw was never fitted/torqued correctly in the first place (could even have been a "spare' part!) so do you think they would have said "sorry, our fault" and fixed it for free?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back