To people who own multiple DSLR's.....

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by dEARlEADER, Jul 31, 2008.

1. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    For the people out there who own both a small and large body DSLR (ie D40 and D300) I am wondering what you use more on your non-paying gigs...

Do you use your lighter camera because of weight and ease or do you use your feature rich heavier camera more often?

2. Snyder

Snyder TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Depends on the circumstances, If its non-paying gig that I setup and want to cover than I would use my best gear. If its a non-paying not important like a family reunion I would bring my D40. There is many variables that take into account for me like do I feel like I need to bring this or not. Its ultimately your decision.

3. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I used to have a Rebel XT & 40D. Ended up using the 40D all the time. Mainly for screen size, because at the non-paying gigs you're often goofing around and people want to see the pic you just took. This may not be an issue with a Nikon D40's 2.5" screen though.

4. astrostu

astrostu Guest

Don't actually have 2 bodies at the moment, but when I do, I expect that I'll use the better one more often. That's the pattern I see when I buy better lenses - I use the better one much more often even if it's more limited in focal length range and is heavier.

5. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well.... i assume most people would use the more expensive body because it's expensive and fun to play with... but i'm more wondering when the lust and shine wears off of the heavy body if people tend to use the light gear....

6. S2K1

S2K1 TPF Noob!

When I had my 30D and an XTi, I used the XTi most of the time because of it's size. However, when I sold it and got a 1D MK II, I use that all the time now because I spent too much money for it to be sitting around my house. :) If I'm going on vacation or something though and I don't want to pack a lot, I'll pick the smaller camera and one good lens.

7. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    :thumbsup:

funny how "light gear" isn't part of people's vocab when discussing 24-70L and 24-700L IS..

Its fine to be a little impractical when your paycheck depends on it... but for most of us being practical means the stuff will get used and enjoyed more often.

8. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Both my bodies are heavy (D300 & D700) I tend to take the D300 to non critical events because it does not have the vertical grip and weighs a bit less, but when it is just family and friends, I take a point and shoot.

9. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    a point and shoot..... interesting....

10. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I bought it to be able to take anywhere, it is waterproof to 33ft, shock resistant to 6 ft drop. The ISO range sucks but it lets me take crapy pictures just like everyone on Facebook, the crapy pictures make me thankful to have 2 DSLR's

11. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I have often thought (as a new high end body is way out of my price range for a long time) of getting a good bridge camera for family trips and such. That way I have a good point and shoot - and if needs be I can use custom settings for those specical shots

12. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    makes sense... a camera for drunken purposes...