Took your advice on Self headshots

Your facial shape would look best photographed with a very long telephoto lens, something in the 180mm to 300mm range--a focal length range that would be fairly tricky to use on a self-portrait. Another thing in these is that your torso and shoulders are "square" to the camera...that presents you in a wider, broader orientation than is ideal, and also looks somewhat dull and static.

I'm not sure how important the photos are to your pageant efforts, but if they are "important", I think seeking out a really EXPERIENCED person who has actual training in people photography, would pay dividends. I don't mean some guy who picked up a camera a year or two ago, or one of your friend who "takes really good pictures", but instead an actual "professional photographer" who specializes in beauty or glamour or portraiture. A person who knows how to do facial analysis, and who is a master-level shooter, fully versed in lighting styles, lighting patterns, headshots, modeling work, and so on.

Just to point out something: Kundalini for example, knows about the classic views of the face, like full face, 3/4 view, and profile, as well as short lighting and broad lighting, reflector placement, on-axis fill light versus awful cross-lighting with its competing shadows (kinda' what you did...), horror lighting, feathering of the light, and so on...You want your pageant photos to be made by somebody who has actually studied portraiture and how to light and pose people, using "professional methods". There are a lot of self-taught people whose work is "okay", but they often make huge, glaring fundamental-level lighting errors like using broad lighting on wide-faced women, which makes them look...fat in the face, and dumpy.

Last edited:
Your facial shape would look best photographed with a very long telephoto lens, something in the 180mm to 300mm range--a focal length range that would be fairly tricky to use on a self-portrait. Another thing in these is that your torso and shoulders are "square" to the camera...that presents you in a wider, broader orientation than is ideal, and also looks somewhat dull and static.

I'm not sure how important the photos are to your pageant efforts, but if they are "important", I think seeking out a really EXPERIENCED person who has actual training in people photography, would pay dividends. I don't mean some guy who picked up a camera a year or two ago, or one of your friend who "takes really good pictures", but instead an actual "professional photographer" who specializes in beauty or glamour or portraiture. A person who knows how to do facial analysis, and who is a master-level shooter, fully versed in lighting styles, lighting patterns, headshots, modeling work, and so on.

Just to point out something: Kundalini for example, knows about the classic views of the face, like full face, 3/4 view, and portrait, as well as short lighting and broad lighting, reflector placement, on-axis fill light versus awful cross-lighting with its competing shadows (kinda' what you did...), horror lighting, feathering of the light, and so on...You want your pageant photos to be made by somebody who has actually studied portraiture and how to light and pose people, using "professional methods". There are a lot of self-taught people whose work is "okay", but they often make huge, glaring fundamental-level lighting errors like using broad lighting on wide-faced women, which makes them look...fat in the face, and dumpy.
thank you and I certainly agree! These photos mean basically nothing to my pageantry I was just basically seeing what I could do.I do plan to get to a professional soon. There is a photographer in Nashville who specializes in pageantry and beauty portraiture that I am planning to do my photos. She charges a TON, but her pictures are gorgeous and will be worth it when I save the money. Here makeup/hair artist charges 200 alone.....LOL Miss Tennessee USA , Miss Tennessee America, Nashville Photographer Kristy Belcher - Miss Tennessee USA , Miss Tennessee America, Nashville Photographer Kristy Belcher

what profile pic are you referring to? Thanks for the advice this truly helps! I have no idea why I'm trying so hard at this. I usually take photos outdoors, of flowers and my doggies. I bought the continuous lights initially to use for filming my youtube videos and they work very well for that purpose most of the time. It never dawned on me that I needed strobe lighting but I am looking at getting some soon to play with. I use a canon rebel t4i to the person who asked. the lens is a 17-85 mm and pretty awesome. I have a 50mm fixed one as well, would that be better for portraits?

I was talking about your avatar pic... You used to use one of these two pictures we talked about as your avatar pic right ?

I prefer 50mm prime lens to take portraits in your case, it's just much sharper. When you take portraits of family, kids then 17-85mm come handy because you need to constantly adjust your focal length for composition.

Have fun shooting!

Julian

I would suggest something more in line with this diagram.

i-88mLKxL-XL.jpg

Just tried this lighting setup. I don't want to really threadjack, so you can look here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...09-i-took-selfie-post3094414.html#post3094414

thanks for the suggestion.

OP, When you see this expensive photographer tell her to lose the music on her website! I couldn't find a volume control or a way to turn it off and that drove me away from the site before I had time to evaluate her work. Not every potential customer shares her taste in sound. As someone who used to do websites auto-play music is a REALLY serious no-no.
:soapbox:

P.S. It looks like a lovely nose to me.

OP, When you see this expensive photographer tell her to lose the music on her website! I couldn't find a volume control or a way to turn it off and that drove me away from the site before I had time to evaluate her work. Not every potential customer shares her taste in sound. As someone who used to do websites auto-play music is a REALLY serious no-no.
:soapbox:

P.S. It looks like a lovely nose to me.
I have to agree with the music, I always mute the computer when I visit the site.

Most reactions

Back