TPF Book?

I think a page for each member up to 100 members? and each has 2 pages? and they are allowed a small amount of text about themselves...

danalec99 said:
Couple more to think about...

1. What could be the investment involved (monetary)? We are talking about publishing a photo book, aren't we?
2. What could be the theme? - I mean landscape, portraits etc?
3. Target market? - Is it just us or are we talking about promoting it at amazon?
4. Photos and text (if text in involved, what would it be about?) or just photos?

i say we just have a simple yearly book. each one has seperate themes inside it, and in each theme someone can put a photo if they want (i guess someone - moderators and admins, or maybe the publishing editor would have to pick and choose which ones to keep). target market is a tough one. i think if we just start with us it would be better. as for text, a little bit about ourselves in an index of somekind at the end would be easier i think. just some thoughts.

yeah Arti... I think that the short info about the author of the pics might work well..

I like that idea thebeginning, of having an index with info about each photographer...b/c if we ever did sell on amazon it would be a great way to promote ourselves, you could have your website listed and so forth :) I also really like your idea of dividing the book into sections according to themes, landscapes etc. Maybe we could determine what shots make it in by having a mass submission for each themed section, and then everyone votes on what they think are the top ones and those are the ones we put in.

snapfish.com also prints books. Not too expensive. My sister-in-law ordered some as Christmas gifts with photos of the babies and I was amazed at the quality. :D

Hey, even the wayward Duck would be in there. Sounds like a top idea. I still drool over me TPF calander. Funny, it's been May all year. LOL>

I think it is a great idea! i'd love to have one of those.. if you guys need any help i'd be glad to be of use :D

this is what I was talking about, this was brought up 6-8 months ago by me, and nobody responded really, except to say it would be to expensive even though I said it would be around 20-30 a book depending on how many pages...

well this will be my last post and all my others will be deleted. 1 of the many admin can delete the name or whatever

...Im lost...sometimes posts get missed buddy, and ive done this thread too, and it sort of weedled of...no need to leave the forum because of it...

Thought I'd bump this up :) Anyone got enough free time to get the ball rollin on this?

Geronimo said:
I have ordered a book or two from people who have used http://www.lulu.com/ to print the book. Would be interesting to see

I just checked out there site and this looks like a very promotional and cost effective way to buy and sell a photo book. They even have ways on there site to link sales through amazon,borders,barnes&noble, and lula itself to people outside the TPF community.

I work for a music book publishing company and there prices are very competive for what you want done based on what I know from experiance.

My only thing would be to contact them and requast color and bW samples of the printing of a photograph on a page to check for paper and print quality.

I looked at there setup for putting a book togother and it seems very easy;
1. After getting the final photo to page count decided someone could digitally place the photos in indesign or quark and create a high quality PDF.

2. You attach the PDF through their site.

3. Attach the front and back covers to their site and pick binding.

4. Enter the info such as; copyright, publishing house name/TPF, and all the regular title page information

5. Submit order and pick quantity

6. Supply shipping address and payment

I also ran a price check for a 8.5x11 100pg color perfect bound book with a quantity order of 100 to equal

Book price $14.30
Total price $1430.25
Bulk discount 13%

I'm sure prices would be a little higher for the end consumer to reflect shipping and additional costs.

If I can be of any help let me know I have experiance in the printing industry along with the desktop publishing software to piece it all togother.

I think the hardest part for this project will be the solution to who will set up the photo submittion process and or the photos used. The rest is just piecing it togother and selling it.

Also Ideas for sales.

Along with Amazon and the like if you can get our site sponsers to advertise in the pages what about contacting them to be sales agents for the book as well.

Just some Ideas. If I can be of any help PM me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back