Tried Reversing my lens today, see results

alexecho said:
I'm confused. You take the lens of and physically hold it in front of the camera? That can't work, can it? Tell me I've mis-read what you're all talking about.

Basically you're using two lenses, one that's attached to the camera that actually takes the photos, and one that is attached or held in front of the other lens. You still need the 'normal' lens to close the shutter, the second, held backwards, only changes the magnification.

PlasticSpanner said:
Is that on an all singing camera?

On mine I just use one lens reversed.

I guess you don't need it, I just assumed the shutter wouldn't trip without a lens attached. Quick testing proves that assumption wrong.

Do you get better magnification with just one lens, or with two, one reversed?

jadin said:
I guess you don't need it, I just assumed the shutter wouldn't trip without a lens attached. Quick testing proves that assumption wrong.
actually you are right because i know that a few people on another forum tried this with nikons (d70 i believe) and the camera refused to trip the shutter without a lens

Must be a camera-by-camera setting. My D1X will take the photos without a lens attached. The aperture area is blank but I can still adjust the speed, trip the shutter, and have an image show up on my display...

so i just gave this a go, and it turns out fisheyes are amazing for this

fisheye.jpg

hobbes28 said:
You're stuck with the 10mm. It takes a while to get used to but after you shoot a few, you learn tricks to get around it.

I'm a little confused; even with a lens reversed shouldn't you be able to change DOF by manually changing aperture? Or are you using lenses without an aperture ring?

Since you're shooting through the lens the wrong way, you're not really using it the way it was intended. Typically, the aperture opening is one of the last things light passes through so you can control the amount of light. Flip it around and it instead blocks the image you're producing.

Just for the record:
This will work on a D50, it takes images without a lens attached in manual mode. Can it really be true that it won't work on a D70 then? Can't really believe it.

hobbes28 said:
Since you're shooting through the lens the wrong way, you're not really using it the way it was intended. Typically, the aperture opening is one of the last things light passes through so you can control the amount of light. Flip it around and it instead blocks the image you're producing.

Ah, so basically with the lens reversed it should always be wide open?

ZaphodB said:
Ah, so basically with the lens reversed it should always be wide open?

From all that I know, yes. That's the way I've always done it. You can get around that shallow DOF by shooting more directly at the subject so your focal plane isn't as obvious. e.g. instead of shooting a quarter at a 45 degree angle, shoot from an 85 degree angle.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back