Tripod

mwcfarms

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.deannachambers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok guys I need a tripod for my camera. Looking on B&H to get one since I dont live anywhere near a camera store and plan on getting a lens from them this month too unless shipping will kill me lol. I want something that is sturdy enough to take landscapes and I think I would like a plate head mount. Not sure if thats the proper technical name or not but the kind where it releases the whole body. Suggestions for me would be great. And I did try a search here with no luck. Thanks for your help. :hug::

Bitter
Which of those threads do you think I should focus on????:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Ok first perhaps I should have asked you Bitter in which way to search the beginners forum since mine turned up no hits. Obviously I am doing something wrong. Thank you for treating me with just an ounce of respect.

Second perhaps I should have asked if it was worthwhile investing in a sturdier more expensive tripod as a beginner or if the cheapie low weight rated one would suffice as my question was rather vague. I have done some research but getting someone with experiences opinion is not in my mind a ridiculous idea. I mean go figure.

Third do you always have to reply with condescension to someone who is obviously new and perhaps unsure about the correct way to phrase a question for help or is that just you modus operandi for everyone. Thank you so much for being so helpful. Its truly appreciated.

So how much are you looking to spend?

Oh, I searched for keyword "tripod" in the thread title.

Last edited:
In this day and age, any computer user that is not familiar with how to write effective search terms and to effectively use search engines is under utilizing the single most powerful tool available to Internet users.

I too was amazed when you stated , "And I did try a search here with no luck."

Well under 200 hopefully. Like I should have mentioned I dont know if I should plan on buying something with a heavier rating over 4lbs because I plan on getting another lens that I think weighs over a pound and of course wind elemental factors for stability.

Have looked at this

Benro | A-068M8 Travel Angel Aluminum Tripod with | 457-068 with a plate addition.

Bushnell | Advanced Tripod with 3-Way Head | 784030 | B&H Photo

or cheaper yet

Sunpak | 5800D Tripod with Fluid-Effect 3-Way | 620-580BB | B&H

I mean literally they have hundreds of models. I can search and compare all day. I have read some models are better than others but again I think its what you like ergonomically etc and since I live in the middle or rural alberta i cant exactly go and see how they feel.

Sorry my question was so vague and I do appreciate your opinion. I hadnt had enough coffee and my bitchmetre went off.

Bitter
Which of those threads do you think I should focus on????:mrgreen::mrgreen:
IMO, it would be a good idea to focus on each thread individually so as to gleen as much useful information from each as is available.

In this day and age, any computer user that is not familiar with how to write effective search terms and to effectively use search engines is under utilizing the single most powerful tool available to Internet users.

I too was amazed when you stated , "And I did try a search here with no luck."

I know, I am somewhat profficient in internet use and I knew how to search but it honestly came back with no hits. Gave me the generic no results and the expanded box to add more info. I did look on Bitters return and read through those but again I guess what I was looking for was an opinion of the veterans. I mean how do you choose. I am sure a cheaper tripod will do the trick just fine but is there a midline one that has an ability or feature that I might miss out on. Living on the farm I am certainly limited to going someone and seeing what feels better or if one particular one fits the bill so any advice from someone with experience is helpful. Im not trying to be lazy. I live 23 km from town and it has a walmart no camera store, pop 4000. Anyways thats all. Lol. I guess I should practice some searches on the forum lol now.

I have a tripos similar to the sunpak you posted the link to.

Its not too heavy, it seem sturdy.

I look at any tripod under about $70 as a use it till I know what the F I'm doing and what I really need. I figure one of two things will happen with the sunpak. I'll wear it out or I'll grown beyond what it can do. Either way I'll replace it based on what I learned while using it. At $70 if I outgrow it in a year I won't care.

Well under 200 hopefully. Like I should have mentioned I dont know if I should plan on buying something with a heavier rating over 4lbs because I plan on getting another lens that I think weighs over a pound and of course wind elemental factors for stability.

Have looked at this

Benro | A-068M8 Travel Angel Aluminum Tripod with | 457-068 with a plate addition.

Bushnell | Advanced Tripod with 3-Way Head | 784030 | B&H Photo

or cheaper yet

Sunpak | 5800D Tripod with Fluid-Effect 3-Way | 620-580BB | B&H

I mean literally they have hundreds of models. I can search and compare all day. I have read some models are better than others but again I think its what you like ergonomically etc and since I live in the middle or rural alberta i cant exactly go and see how they feel.

Sorry my question was so vague and I do appreciate your opinion. I hadnt had enough coffee and my bitchmetre went off.

There is a thread in that search that recomends Manfrotto. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...gallery/188541-decent-tripod-setup-150-a.html
Often it is better to spend more if you can on something that will last longer, instead of buying something twice.

Then it comes down to preference...some like the twist lock leg locks, some like the flip tabs.

Some like ball heads, and some like the flat "lever" plate. I prefer the ball head.

I would definately get something with a heavier rating. You will outgrow 4#'s quickly.

Well that would be true for me as well but like I said, I live in a blip on the map with the nearest city an hour and a half away. So I dont mind spending a bit more for something that I will grow into for a few years. I do a lot of internet ordering since we live out in the boonies. Thanks for the tip though Alan9. Appreciate it.

Thanks Bitter, I appreciate your advice I do. Can I ask why you prefer ball head over plate. I had a cheap video tripod with flip tops and I hated it. It wore out quickly and wouldnt stay open on one side so screw type is one factor I know I want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back