Upgrade my Camera

Dao

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I was not planning to upgrade my Camera that soon .... until I saw a 40D body on Craiglist last night. 9 months old 40D with about 1600 photos taken (Man .. I took 10000 photos with my XTi since late March this year) for $600.

I know the 50D is out but the 40D is still a very capable camera.

So far, when it compare to my XTi ... I like the better noise handling (higher ISO performance), faster flash sync speed (1/250 vs 1/200), higher FPS and better grip.

And .. I am not sure if I am seeing things lol ... it seems that my 50mm F/1.8 lens focus slightly faster with the 40D body.

I was not planning to upgrade my Camera that soon .... until I saw a 40D body on Craiglist last night. 9 months old 40D with about 1600 photos taken (Man .. I took 10000 photos with my XTi since late March this year) for $600.

I know the 50D is out but the 40D is still a very capable camera.

So far, when it compare to my XTi ... I like the better noise handling (higher ISO performance), faster flash sync speed (1/250 vs 1/200), higher FPS and better grip.

And .. I am not sure if I am seeing things lol ... it seems that my 50mm F/1.8 lens focus slightly faster with the 40D body.

W-H-O-A ~ if it ain't too late, and if you haven't made the purchase on eBay already - at Wolf / Ritz (at least in the Atlanta area) you can buy a BRAND SPANKING NEW Nikon D40, with kit 18 - 55mm lens, PLUS 55 - 200mm VR lens, a Nikon Camera bag, and the 2x CD "Nikon School" - ALL for $599.00.

I couldn't resist or pass it up, and just got one too!

Sorry .. I am not asking anything .. Just want to share my happy feelings now. :lol:

W-H-O-A ~ if it ain't too late, and if you haven't made the purchase on eBay already - at Wolf / Ritz (at least in the Atlanta area) you can buy a BRAND SPANKING NEW Nikon D40, with kit 18 - 55mm lens, PLUS 55 - 200mm VR lens, a Nikon Camera bag, and the 2x CD "Nikon School" - ALL for $599.00.

I couldn't resist or pass it up, and just got one too!

Not to bring down your happiness a little, but neither of the lenses you got are very high end. Those kinds of camera bags we can find at Winners for under 10 bucks and that Nikon school CD has less info on it than 1 week of reading and studying of the info that is here on TPS... lol

Basically, you paid $599 for the camera, the rest is a lot of fluff. That's why we always tell users to stay away from "package deals", because though they may be packages... they sure aren't the best deals out there that you could get for yourself.

You will be happy with your camera, though. Its a good beginner's camera.

Not to bring down your happiness a little, but neither of the lenses you got are very high end. Those kinds of camera bags we can find at Winners for under 10 bucks and that Nikon school CD has less info on it than 1 week of reading and studying of the info that is here on TPS... lol

Basically, you paid $599 for the camera, the rest is a lot of fluff. That's why we always tell users to stay away from "package deals", because though they may be packages... they sure aren't the best deals out there that you could get for yourself.

You will be happy with your camera, though. Its a good beginner's camera.

I know all that, know the kit isn't comparable to a Hasselblad, but my point was that a new D40, with the "kit" lens (DID mention that) and the VR 55-200, new with warranty, for the same price as one sight unseen from eBay, then to pay shipping, just M-I-G-H-T be a better way to go.

I didn't care anything at all about the rest of the stuff in the package either, already sold the el-cheapo bag, didn't learn anything on the CD's that I didn't already know, I use Picasa which is better that software that came with it to store photographs.

Point was, for the same $600 Dao was talking about, which would YOU buy - a new camera, or a used one off of eBay?

$499, which the body goes for, getting both "consumer" lenses for $100 more isn't so bad....

Point was, for the same $600 Dao was talking about, which would YOU buy - a new camera, or a used one off of eBay?

Thanks for the suggestions. But the 40D is different from the D40 :sexywink:

Thanks for the suggestions. But the 40D is different from the D40 :sexywink:

Yeah, I misread that, my bad, my error.

Otherwise, got flamed for just trying to be helpful, shoot the messenger.

Sincerely wish I hadn't even responded.

eBay is just fine...

...lol

Yeah, I misread that, my bad, my error.

Otherwise, got flamed for just trying to be helpful, shoot the messenger.

Sincerely wish I hadn't even responded.

eBay is just fine...

...lol

Patrick .... it's all good. You were just trying to help me :) People made mistake all the time ... so ... don't feel bad ... Be Happy!!

Patrick .... it's all good. You were just trying to help me :) People made mistake all the time ... so ... don't feel bad ... Be Happy!!

No problem, entirely my fault. I misread 40D for D40 (imagine me, a photographer with dyslexia, which I DO have), opening myself up to those folks who seem to feel that a Nikon D40 isn't much more than a step or so above a Brownie box camera.

No problem, entirely my fault. I misread 40D for D40 (imagine me, a photographer with dyslexia, which I DO have), opening myself up to those folks who seem to feel that a Nikon D40 isn't much more than a step or so above a Brownie box camera.

I don't think anyone thinks its a piece of crap, but it is an entry level DSLR. Facts are facts :) That doesn't mean you aren't capable of making beautiful photos if you fully learn your camera's capabilities.

Trust me, my camera is rather dated, and my pictures kick the crap out many people I know that have better cameras than me. Owning a D90 or D300 and leaving it on auto mode, literally kills me to watch.

I took a friend's camera (D80) and went to change the mode off auto and he GRABBED the camera and said, "DON'T DO THAT! It is already set up for correct color, exposure, and everything on AUTO!"

He still wonders how my photos are so much better. :) Sorry about the tangent, I just thought of that :)

But the 40D is a much better camera than the D40. It's like comparing a Nikon D80 with a Canon XT. The D80 is a step above entry level and has much better features than the entry level Canon XT.

But the 40D is a much better camera than the D40. It's like comparing a Nikon D80 with a Canon XT. The D80 is a step above entry level and has much better features than the entry level Canon XT.

I S-A-I-D that I made a mistake when I mistook 40D for D40.

My original point (when I dyslexized the 40D for D40) was that if one was buying a used camera off eBay for $600, a brand new (what I mistook to be the same camera, that I misread as a D40) with 2X lenses for the same price just might be a better choice.

Who knows?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back