Upgrade to Windows 10?

Windows 8 has been super stable for me - although I am running up to date hardware, which may help.

To be honest, a lot of problems are with the user not bothering to find what works for them, and expecting things to work a certain way.

But, horses for courses! So they say!

Sometimes one looses the ability to run certain apps with an updated OS. I'd rather suffer with an older, slower machine than to spend hundreds if not thousands on new software.

I've had a lot of nice apps went go back to Win 3.11. Slowly, inexorably, they never made it past W7.

You have a point sparky. I have heard of nightmares of updated OS in the past so got to tread softly. I have to think about all this. Upgrading can be scary.

Took a quick look, I might wait for, I don't know, 11 or 12?? I don't need no stinkin' apps! lol

I don't know, I'm just glad I missed the disaster that 8 apparently was! lol I'm no computer expert by any stretch but I guess it depends on what kind of 'device' you use. To me a lot of the technology can be great when it works but when it doesn't, oh boy is it more trouble than it's worth sometimes.

So true, I'm so glad I never got OS 8, but I'm sure a few people perhaps did not have any problems. As you said when it does not work it can be disastrous.

Windows 8 has been super stable for me - although I am running up to date hardware, which may help.

To be honest, a lot of problems are with the user not bothering to find what works for them, and expecting things to work a certain way.

But, horses for courses! So they say!

It helps to have updated hardware which in my case I could not afford.

Always install your updates. Always get your service packs. Always stay with the latest and greatest.

Stay behind and your machine will end up running like a dog, will keep spitting issues, and if you ever end up calling for support, the first thing you'll be told is to upgrade.

The ONLY reason never to install updates etc is if you have legacy software installed which will NOT be supported by future versions of an operating system.

I completely disagree (but didn't want to give you a big red X under your post! :) )

I've sat through many an upgrade and have not had issues related to not upgrading. When I had to get my new laptop, I made sure that I got one with 7 still installed, though many were already coming with 8 pre-installed. At work, the lawyer just bought a laptop with 8 installed and it is a major PITA and has caused a lot of problems that were working just fine on his old machine.

I'm not saying ignore upgrades, but don't automatically assume the upgrade is useful and just accept it as a knee-jerk reaction. Not everyone uses computers the same way and they should take some time to decide for themselves what upgrades are worth it for them and which are worth sitting out, at least for a while.

Always install your updates. Always get your service packs. Always stay with the latest and greatest.

Stay behind and your machine will end up running like a dog, will keep spitting issues, and if you ever end up calling for support, the first thing you'll be told is to upgrade.

The ONLY reason never to install updates etc is if you have legacy software installed which will NOT be supported by future versions of an operating system.

I completely disagree (but didn't want to give you a big red X under your post! :) )

I've sat through many an upgrade and have not had issues related to not upgrading. When I had to get my new laptop, I made sure that I got one with 7 still installed, though many were already coming with 8 pre-installed. At work, the lawyer just bought a laptop with 8 installed and it is a major PITA and has caused a lot of problems that were working just fine on his old machine.

I'm not saying ignore upgrades, but don't automatically assume the upgrade is useful and just accept it as a knee-jerk reaction. Not everyone uses computers the same way and they should take some time to decide for themselves what upgrades are worth it for them and which are worth sitting out, at least for a while.

I think I will sit it out for awhile till I see what experiences people have with Win 10. I don't want the hassle of a major mess. For one thing, if anything goes wrong I'd have to dish out money for a repair. Right now my OS is peachy.

I went to a lot of trouble 2 years ago to locate a new desktop that was running Windows 7 because I did not want Windows 8, so they can keep Windows 10 - free or not. Unlike most people, all I have is my desktop PC, [I don't even have a cell phone] I heard Windows 8 didn't work well on desktop PC's so I highly doubt Windows 10 will either. I'm someone who hates change so I'll stick with Windows 7 until my PC dies and I have no choice but to get and use something else. :)

I went to a lot of trouble 2 years ago to locate a new desktop that was running Windows 7 because I did not want Windows 8, so they can keep Windows 10 - free or not. Unlike most people, all I have is my desktop PC, [I don't even have a cell phone] I heard Windows 8 didn't work well on desktop PC's so I highly doubt Windows 10 will either. I'm someone who hates change so I'll stick with Windows 7 until my PC dies and I have no choice but to get and use something else. :)

I'm with you I really don't have the means to get better and greater. So far I'm happy with what I have. Let's see what happens.

Another issue that always seems to pop up is all the security holes in a new OS. A new OS rolls out and it touted as the greatest thing since sliced bread, then suddenly everyone that updated gets hacked.

I never updated to W95 bay back then. Heard about all the issues and problems with 95 and just plain stayed away. Went from 3.11 to XP.

Another issue that always seems to pop up is all the security holes in a new OS. A new OS rolls out and it touted as the greatest thing since sliced bread, then suddenly everyone that updated gets hacked.

I never updated to W95 bay back then. Heard about all the issues and problems with 95 and just plain stayed away. Went from 3.11 to XP.

Smart move Sparky. It seems like ages since Win 3.11. The small school I work at still has some computers with win XP. I definitely like Win 7 over XP though.

I don't personally upgrade an OS until it's been out for at least a year, so that everyone else can experience and report the problems that need to get fixed first. Then, when the masses are pretty happy with it, I feel comfortable enough to do it as well, if I feel it's even needed. I don't upgrade just to upgrade. I could stick with 7 quite a long time, unless something comes along that I feel I MUST have that requires a newer OS and won't run under 7.

I don't personally upgrade an OS until it's been out for at least a year, so that everyone else can experience and report the problems that need to get fixed first. Then, when the masses are pretty happy with it, I feel comfortable enough to do it as well, if I feel it's even needed. I don't upgrade just to upgrade. I could stick with 7 quite a long time, unless something comes along that I feel I MUST have that requires a newer OS and won't run under 7.

That's the best way to go about it. Of course if after a year it's all good it won't be free any longer, but either way going to wait and see.

Why would I want to Downgrade to Windows 10 from OSX 10.3 Yosemite? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Ok on a serious note. annamaria, there should be no reaon, unless Microsoft has gotten screwy, that you couldn't go ahead and download Windows 10 and burn it to a disk to save for later install. I always do that with OSX from Apple and have a complete library from OSX 5 just in case I want/need one.

Why would I want to Downgrade to Windows 10 from OSX 10.3 Yosemite? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Ok on a serious note. annamaria, there should be no reaon, unless Microsoft has gotten screwy, that you couldn't go ahead and download Windows 10 and burn it to a disk to save for later install. I always do that with OSX from Apple and have a complete library from OSX 5 just in case I want/need one.

Yea Apples are great for many reasons.

As for downloading and burning that's a great idea. I hadn't thought of that, duh [emoji12]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back