Upgrade to Windows 10?

I used to always put in the newest and spend time with the issues, it IT guy would always come and let me be the tester. Now I tend to wait so most issues are known or fixed.
Right now only have one of the computers with Win 8 and probably will not wait to long to try Win 10.

I used to always put in the newest and spend time with the issues, it IT guy would always come and let me be the tester. Now I tend to wait so most issues are known or fixed.
Right now only have one of the computers with Win 8 and probably will not wait to long to try Win 10.

Please let me know how it goes when you try Win 10. I'll be interested to know.

I have a spare SSD that contains a complete duplicate of my Windows 7 system. I'll probably upgrade it to Windows 10, and thoroughly test it with my apps, hardware, printers and scanner. I also want to see what kind of strings Microsoft attaches to the "free" upgrade. IF Windows 10 runs completely stable, all my current apps and hardware work, AND I can live with the EULA Microsoft attaches to it, I'll continue to use it.

I have a spare SSD that contains a complete duplicate of my Windows 7 system. I'll probably upgrade it to Windows 10, and thoroughly test it with my apps, hardware, printers and scanner. I also want to see what kind of strings Microsoft attaches to the "free" upgrade. IF Windows 10 runs completely stable, all my current apps and hardware work, AND I can live with the EULA Microsoft attaches to it, I'll continue to use it.

Now that sounds like a plan and a good setup. Glad you know what you are doing. Looking forward to hearing all about the results. Are you going to download the free version? Thanks so much for keeping me posted.

Now that sounds like a plan and a good setup. Glad you know what you are doing. Looking forward to hearing all about the results. Are you going to download the free version? Thanks so much for keeping me posted.

Yes, I will download the free version and do the upgrade to the spare drive. That way, should things go sideways, I haven't messed up my main system drive. It'll be awhile before I try this, but I'll keep you posted how it goes.

Yes, I will download the free version and do the upgrade to the spare drive. That way, should things go sideways, I haven't messed up my main system drive. It'll be awhile before I try this, but I'll keep you posted how it goes.

Thank you!!!!

Just think, all mac upgrades are free

Just think, all mac upgrades are free

I wasn't aware of that, so you're a lucky guy, maybe one day someone will gift me one :). Macs are really good computers. I used to have an Apple I I E and then a Mac about 20 years ago.

Apple has had paid upgeades in te past. But in general the vast majority of upgrares have been free.

as for windiws 10, its either upgade or linux. Uncertain whch yet.

Apple has had paid upgeades in te past. But in general the vast majority of upgrares have been free.

as for windiws 10, its either upgade or linux. Uncertain whch yet.

Well at least most have been free as opposed to windows. So you're sitting on the fence for now eh? [emoji6] I hear you. It's tricky business.

.......... as for windiws 10, its either upgade or linux. Uncertain whch yet.
Why not both? I'll probably dual-boot Win 10 and maybe Mint or Ubuntu. I'll do the free upgrade the first day it's available. Danger is my business!

.......... as for windiws 10, its either upgade or linux. Uncertain whch yet.
Why not both? I'll probably dual-boot Win 10 and maybe Mint or Ubuntu. I'll do the free upgrade the first day it's available. Danger is my business!

That is definitely an option, though I'd probably use Fedora WS for it's Autodesk compatibility.

Having been heavily involved with computers for close to 50 years already, experience tells me to stay away from any new versions of operating systems for at least 6 months, if not a year.

Eons ago, it seems, when I was a systems programmer at a small IBM 360 installation, my primary job was installing and maintaining each operating system release as well as patches. I was told never to install a new release until the .6 version (18.6, 19.6, etc) was out. That way, the bugs had been worked out and patched. In the Windows world, I wait until Service Pack 1 is out and 'settled down' before I even CONSIDER going to the new version of Windows.

In short, I don't want to be the 'guinea pig' for some not fully stable/not fully tested software. One of the things I've learned through the years is that 'make the date' is more important to managers than 'make it 100%'. As a result, perhaps testing has been less than 100% thorough, the end result being there will be multiple crashes as a result. Some oddball combination of 'this' and 'that' and 'those' together will surely pop up along the line and cause trouble. Shortened testing never got that far. So the customer has to 'pay the price' for being bleeding edge.

Perhaps the most significant of negatives of not going to a new release right away is software compatibility. I go back to the DOS 1.1 days on PCs, and as I was writing and marketing software, I had to test and sometimes modify my software to be compatible with each subsequent version of DOS. Along came Windows 286 and later Windows 386 and the number of issues to handle 'exploded' to say the least. By Windows 3.0, I was out of the software business. Always having a number of hard drives and computers available, I purchased a copy of Windows 95 after it had been out for about a year. It was still on floppy disks. About 30 or so, as I recall. I installed it on my 'test' computer and found that nearly all the software I had been using under DOS and Windows 3.0/3.1 wouldn't run. I took it off and restored Windows 3.0 on that computer.

Through the evolution of Windows releases, I've discovered every new release of Windows (except 95 to 98 - updates to 95 made it very close to 98 before it was released - and 98 to ME), one or more of my purchased software products would no longer load or run. In later versions of Windows, the 'compatibility mode' option would get me by, but not always. Too often, I wound up buying/upgrading to an updated software product. In some cases, I switched to a competitors product. I think I've had perhaps 8-10 competitors' word processing products on my computers through the years before I finally settled down to MS Word. But wait...there's more... Even MS Word versions (and the rest of the Office package) would neither load nor run on a later version of Windows! I think Microsoft will support each version of MS Office across a total of 3 versions of Windows before it is no longer supported. That's how they get you again...you get stuck buying a new version of Office, too!

Which brings me to another point. Of the software you've loaded on your computer, how much of THAT will run under Windows 10? Are the vendors anywhere near being Windows 10 compatible with -their- software? Even if you like xxx software and use it 99% of the day, if the vendor doesn't have a Windows 10 compatible version available, you may have no choice but to live without xxx software until they do! I think just about every online forum I frequent, from this one to perhaps 6-8 others (not all photography related), there's ALWAYS a fair number of those who hurried to upgrade to the newest version of Windows and found their software products won't work. Hey...even I got 'caught' when my version of Adobe Lightroom wouldn't run under Windows 7! Fortunately, the upgrade was readily available and the problem solved. Lightroom 'got me' again when I upgraded to a Canon 5Diii and it couldn't handle the RAW files from the 5Diii. Fortunately for me, the update was available and free. I think there were 4-5 similar threads on this forum when users have upgraded cameras and Lightroom or other comparable products wouldn't process the RAW files from their shiny new camera.

Bottom line? It's far easier to move to a new version of Windows once most of its' bugs have been worked out -AND- the majority of software vendors have updates or versions available that have also been 'customer debugged'.

Dude.............. you just killed the entire sense of adventure for me. :bek181:

Having been heavily involved with computers for close to 50 years already, experience tells me to stay away from any new versions of operating systems for at least 6 months, if not a year.

Eons ago, it seems, when I was a systems programmer at a small IBM 360 installation, my primary job was installing and maintaining each operating system release as well as patches. I was told never to install a new release until the .6 version (18.6, 19.6, etc) was out. That way, the bugs had been worked out and patched. In the Windows world, I wait until Service Pack 1 is out and 'settled down' before I even CONSIDER going to the new version of Windows.

In short, I don't want to be the 'guinea pig' for some not fully stable/not fully tested software. One of the things I've learned through the years is that 'make the date' is more important to managers than 'make it 100%'. As a result, perhaps testing has been less than 100% thorough, the end result being there will be multiple crashes as a result. Some oddball combination of 'this' and 'that' and 'those' together will surely pop up along the line and cause trouble. Shortened testing never got that far. So the customer has to 'pay the price' for being bleeding edge.

Perhaps the most significant of negatives of not going to a new release right away is software compatibility. I go back to the DOS 1.1 days on PCs, and as I was writing and marketing software, I had to test and sometimes modify my software to be compatible with each subsequent version of DOS. Along came Windows 286 and later Windows 386 and the number of issues to handle 'exploded' to say the least. By Windows 3.0, I was out of the software business. Always having a number of hard drives and computers available, I purchased a copy of Windows 95 after it had been out for about a year. It was still on floppy disks. About 30 or so, as I recall. I installed it on my 'test' computer and found that nearly all the software I had been using under DOS and Windows 3.0/3.1 wouldn't run. I took it off and restored Windows 3.0 on that computer.

Through the evolution of Windows releases, I've discovered every new release of Windows (except 95 to 98 - updates to 95 made it very close to 98 before it was released - and 98 to ME), one or more of my purchased software products would no longer load or run. In later versions of Windows, the 'compatibility mode' option would get me by, but not always. Too often, I wound up buying/upgrading to an updated software product. In some cases, I switched to a competitors product. I think I've had perhaps 8-10 competitors' word processing products on my computers through the years before I finally settled down to MS Word. But wait...there's more... Even MS Word versions (and the rest of the Office package) would neither load nor run on a later version of Windows! I think Microsoft will support each version of MS Office across a total of 3 versions of Windows before it is no longer supported. That's how they get you again...you get stuck buying a new version of Office, too!

Which brings me to another point. Of the software you've loaded on your computer, how much of THAT will run under Windows 10? Are the vendors anywhere near being Windows 10 compatible with -their- software? Even if you like xxx software and use it 99% of the day, if the vendor doesn't have a Windows 10 compatible version available, you may have no choice but to live without xxx software until they do! I think just about every online forum I frequent, from this one to perhaps 6-8 others (not all photography related), there's ALWAYS a fair number of those who hurried to upgrade to the newest version of Windows and found their software products won't work. Hey...even I got 'caught' when my version of Adobe Lightroom wouldn't run under Windows 7! Fortunately, the upgrade was readily available and the problem solved. Lightroom 'got me' again when I upgraded to a Canon 5Diii and it couldn't handle the RAW files from the 5Diii. Fortunately for me, the update was available and free. I think there were 4-5 similar threads on this forum when users have upgraded cameras and Lightroom or other comparable products wouldn't process the RAW files from their shiny new camera.

Bottom line? It's far easier to move to a new version of Windows once most of its' bugs have been worked out -AND- the majority of software vendors have updates or versions available that have also been 'customer debugged'.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back