US MAP

I just came across a google map plugin for vb called Phoogle!. I'm going to be pretty busy until next week, but I'm definately going to look into this.

From what I see on the surface it looks like it gives people the ability to embed google maps using coding similar to what you would use to post images, but instead of using a url you would enter an address. It could be pretty cool, but we'll have to wait and see.
:makes mental note of this excuse to nag Twist:

:sillysmi:

I thought I was on Frappr already...hmmm maybe not, or I went AWOL. Anyhow: I don't think it's a great platform for what was suggested by the OP. A calendar-like thing would work better, I think.

pascal

Perhaps just a simple [is anything simple any more?] section titled 'Photo Ops.'

Folks could list all sorts of stuff, including when Vermont foliage is peaking, the best time of year to visit various places [Race Week in Watkins Glen, NY if you're into cars. Any time but Race Week if you're into landscapes -- and want to be able to find a vacancy at a motel!], when to go after photos of certain species of birds, the best time of day to shoot surfers on the left coast and how to get to little-known out-of-the-way places.

Some of us may be quite knowledgeable about specific areas and events and can PM, email or snail mail more extensive information to interested parties. The individual poster could note whether he/she wishes to provide more information on request.

Perhaps just a simple [is anything simple any more?] section titled 'Photo Ops.'

Folks could list all sorts of stuff, including when Vermont foliage is peaking, the best time of year to visit various places [Race Week in Watkins Glen, NY if you're into cars. Any time but Race Week if you're into landscapes -- and want to be able to find a vacancy at a motel!], when to go after photos of certain species of birds, the best time of day to shoot surfers on the left coast and how to get to little-known out-of-the-way places.

Some of us may be quite knowledgeable about specific areas and events and can PM, email or snail mail more extensive information to interested parties. The individual poster could note whether he/she wishes to provide more information on request.

That is what I am talking about, I live in montana about 2 hrs from the national bison range but did not know about it for over a year. Who knows how many times I was on a trip on missed a great chance to see _________. I just think it would take some time and looking over so people don't just fill it up with JUNK. But could be a great resource for all of us.

I do like the idea. You know, originally, the "Location/Meetup" forum was supposed to be used in this manner, in addition to shoutouts about where people would be traveling. It somehow got off track, though. The emphasis now seems to be solely on how to meet up with other TPF members, and I don't see any mention of what the "Location" part of the forum is supposed to mean. hmmm....

I'd like to give Twist the chance to explore this vB plugin and see if that leads to anything helpful.

In the meantime, though, I can beef up that Location/Meetup forum's description, if that would help clarify things and encourage people to use it in that way. Any suggestions for a description?

Ya, the Locations/Meet Up forum actually started as a Travel forum to share info on travel destinations and great photo opportunities. It was changed to the current forum because it didn't have too much activity and we needed a place for meet ups. It definitely still is the place for sharing photo op's and travel info.

Most reactions

Back