Very New Major Questions

wjchiefs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, This weekend i went out and bought 2 new lens for my Nikon D60
They are 1st a Rokinon 500mm F/6.3 Mirror Lens

I was trying this out around the house and eveything i take a photo of is dark. Do i need to put my iso up to max again i am very new. I bought this to take photos at a baseball games but i have since been told i bought the wrong one. I bought it on ebay for not that much so i am going to deal with it. I Also notice so far using it that i have to do it in Manual on the Cam. I need as much help to use this as anyone can tell me.

I aslo bought a Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Auto Lens
When i Take photos with this they are dont ever seem to be in foucs please help me out so i know what im doing i wont be able to take these out to use intill thursday

I'd try using the 500mm in aperture priority mode. Let the camera choose the shutter speed. You'll probably want a tripod for this because you won't be getting a fast shutter speed with an f/6.3 aperture. To get a sharp picture with this lens handheld you'd want a 1/500 second shutter speed or faster - you could turn up to ISO but your image quality will suffer.

The 85mm f/1.4 has a very very thin plane of focus when you open your aperture all the way up. This will make it incredibly tricky to focus, but the end results will be dramatic (super-shallow depth of field - good creative possibilities).

I think you have some decent budget glass there (with lenses you really do get what you pay for) and you should practice with them and enjoy them until you've outgrown them.

If you got lost on any of the things I've talked about you should read up on the terminology. The manual for the camera is pretty helpful and most people I've talked to recommend the book 'Understanding Exposure" by Brian Petersen (I think - might have spelled name wrong).

Good luck, post example pics for a better explanation too...

I dont want sound like a idiot but like i said i am super new i know they are cheaper. I take it the aperture is the iso

The ISO is the speed. 100, 200, 400 etc.
The Apature is the f-stop... i.e. f 2.8, 5.6, 8.0, etc.

For what you are doing, its best to try and shoot your camera at f-8.0. Especially for action shots. The real problem youll have is the focus ability. Action shots take a bit of skill and practice. Because these are Manual ONLY lenses, its good practice for you. Another thing is to sheck your diopter control. (This is the little focus wheel on the eye piece in back). Make sure your seeing things in focus, otherwise you may wind up with fuzzy pictures regardless. In time, the use of a boom and tripod will help you with such shots.

I think the first thing you should do is put the lens and camera on a tripod , use self timer and take a shot of something( take a shot of something with lots of light). Use Aperture priority mode at F8. Then look at the image and that should be about the best quality that the lens will produce with no motion blur. If you are handholding this lens its probally going to have quite a bit of motion blur.

Iso , aperture , and shutter speed are all very different. Iso is how your sensor absorbs the light , aperture is how much light you let in and how much of the scene will be infocus, and shutter speed also determines how much light you let in and has a large effect on quality of sharpness when handholding.

You also may want to check out your manual for more detailed info. hope this helps!

Last edited:
No, the ISO is different from the aperture. The ISO is the degree of light sensitivity. With a fixed-aperture lens, like a mirror lens, there are only two exposure control methods normally available: the shutter speed, and the ISO setting. With a mirror lens, like the 500mm f/6.3, the aperture is ALWAYS at f/6.3, and so you can control exposure by allowing more light to come in, by using a slower shutter speed, OR by elevating the ISO setting, say from 200 up to 500 or 640 ISO.

Mirror lenses are often tricky to focus. While the actual aperture's size value is f/6.3, it's quite common for there to be some loss of actual light transmission, so an f/6.3 f/stop might only transmit what is called a T-stop rating of "8". This is pretty common with mirror lenses, and many other lenses too. (think of f/stop as your income; think of T-stop as your income after "T"axes--always less!!!)

The Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 lens...the Nikon D60 requires a lens that has a built-in focusing motor in each lens. I do not think the Rokinon has a built-in focusing motor, so you'd need to focus the lens the old-fashioned way, with hand-and-eye guidance.

Ha! Just think of how much you'll learn ;)

Soak it up, don't get discouraged when you take a bad pic and you'll be fine.

No, the ISO is different from the aperture. The ISO is the degree of light sensitivity. With a fixed-aperture lens, like a mirror lens, there are only two exposure control methods normally available: the shutter speed, and the ISO setting. With a mirror lens, like the 500mm f/6.3, the aperture is ALWAYS at f/6.3, and so you can control exposure by allowing more light to come in, by using a slower shutter speed, OR by elevating the ISO setting, say from 200 up to 500 or 640 ISO.

Mirror lenses are often tricky to focus. While the actual aperture's size value is f/6.3, it's quite common for there to be some loss of actual light transmission, so an f/6.3 f/stop might only transmit what is called a T-stop rating of "8". This is pretty common with mirror lenses, and many other lenses too. (think of f/stop as your income; think of T-stop as your income after "T"axes--always less!!!)

The Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 lens...the Nikon D60 requires a lens that has a built-in focusing motor in each lens. I do not think the Rokinon has a built-in focusing motor, so you'd need to focus the lens the old-fashioned way, with hand-and-eye guidance.

on the box it says its auto

Here are some photos i just took with the 85mm. I had it on Manual and nothing show up i put it on auto and shot these are they are tell me what i need to be doing please sorry for being such a pain in the arse

007-4-1.jpg

out of focus

006-4.jpg

005-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

002-4.jpg

This might help... Photo terms and definitions

Light is a very important part of taking pictures. Remember... The term photography means "Light Writing".

When people refer to the "holy trinity" or "exposure triangle" they mean the combination of 3 things:
  • Shutter Speed - The length of time the shutter stays open, allowing light to hit your film/sensor.
  • Aperture Setting - The diameter of the aperture that allows light into the camera (the higher the number... the smaller the aperture. ie. f22 is a smaller opening than f1.4)
  • ISO - The sensetivity of the film/sensor to light.

There is a LOT more to photography... But this is a good place to start.

Last edited:
Yes, the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 is a manual focusing lens. "AUTO" on a lens refers to automatic diaphragm, which became a standard feature in the late 1950's and early 1960's among most manufacturers of lenses. LIke the old AUTO-NIKKOR series of lenses made in the late 50's and into the mid 1960's, those all were Auto-Nikkor labeled, but all of them were manual focus. The Rokinon 85mm 1.4 lens is also sold as the Samyang 85mm f/1.4, the Bower 85mm IF f/1.4 Lens, the Falcon 85mm f/1.4 Lens, and the Vivitar Series 1 85mm f/1.4 lens.

ok but why when i put it on manaul nothing shows up when i put the setting on something else i get the photos above

ok but why when i put it on manaul nothing shows up when i put the setting on something else i get the photos above

When you say manual do you mean M on the dial, where you have to change the F-stop and the shutter speed? If so check your exposure meter and see what it says (far left underexposed, far right overexposed. if its a Canon. If Nikon they are backwards:lol:) ? What ever those pictures were taken at ie: F6.3 and 1/500th then in M (manual with same ISO) the picture should be the same.

Put them back in the boxes and take them back for a refund because they are a waste of money, just use the kit lens that came with it until you know what you are doing

Most reactions

New Topics

Back