VIable strategy?

JDP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pavleck.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I'm wondering if this is a viable strategy. I take a lot of photos for non-profit events. The money is small, sometimes next to nothing at all. What I'm wondering if I can just 'donate' my services and on my taxes count it as a charitable donation.
While not making me money, at least I'm getting something more out of it - ya know?

Thoughts?

Yes, they can write off a reciept on the value of your service offered. I believe its a W-9 or something.

Unfortunately, no you cannot. The IRS does not allow you to write off services. In fact, even if you donate goods (like a print that you normally sell for $20), you can only write off the actual costs (paper, ink, shipping). You CAN write off expenses incurred while donating your services, like wear and tear and gas mileage.

The IRS says: "Contributions you cannot deduct at all include the value of your time or services. Although you cannot deduct the value of your time or services, you can deduct the expenses you incur while donating your services to a qualified organization."

Unfortunately, no you cannot. The IRS does not allow you to write off services. In fact, even if you donate goods (like a print that you normally sell for $20), you can only write off the actual costs (paper, ink, shipping). You CAN write off expenses incurred while donating your services, like wear and tear and gas mileage.

The IRS says: "Contributions you cannot deduct at all include the value of your time or services. Although you cannot deduct the value of your time or services, you can deduct the expenses you incur while donating your services to a qualified organization."
I would call a actual tax person on this one. I have heard you can and this was told to me from a church that I am donating services too. Get this advice from a pro there is so much you can deduct but most of the time only pros know how to and what paper work is needed to correctly do it.

Yeah I suppose I'll need to ask a tax person about it, but it was kicking around in my head. On one hand I thought "Why shouldn't I be able to, it's like donating money, right?" and on the other hand I was reminded of the fact that 'service' is intangible and impossible to prove the worth of in the long haul, so maybe I couldn't.

But thanks guys

Most reactions

New Topics

Back