Was I too tough on this guy?(link to a car forum where a photography fued broke out)

Yep, I agree with the majority here. You went way overboard with those posts. I think that's just your immaturity coming out. I hope you don't go that far on this site. I'm not trying to be harsh, but you did ask of our opinions on the matter.

I agree with the others - you charged in on a very high horse with little more than a beat down on the other person. If you go back an reread the post and be objective you can see there is fairly little actually in content which is refering to the photos in the post - most infact comes off as a general vent/rant against "newbies with a DSLR".

The second post is again attacking a construct that you have made and not the OP of the post. Sure he is proud of his work - that is why he is posting it and we all need that bit of pride in what we achive. Sure its not world class work, but that does not mean there is no pride to be had. Further a person with pride in their work is far more likley to try and improve upon that than someone who is totally defeatist.
At the end of the post you make a short refrence to the actual photos and images, but whilst knowing that the person is a new photographer you make no effort to explain the words you are using nor to give any insight into possible corrections or reasons for the errors appearing in the first place

Third post - again your attacking from the get go (granted the thread is now more flamy but still!). Its not til the end again that we start to see the more thought out comments.

"But from my experience you'll only improve slower, because until you see things you dislike in your own work, you won't start doing things to improve on it."

Key part here - you are right - he won't improve untill he can see the photo and its errors. But people don't start things knowing how to look at a photo that way. They have to learn and one way of learning is getting detailed feedback on their work. Show and tell them where the errors are and what they look like so that they can see them for themselves. They won't learn it with cover all statements "the shot has CA" means nothing if they don't know what CA is and the statement alone means nothing as a crit if they can't have any idea how to correct it.

edit - remember there is a big difference between being honest, critical and impartail with being insulting. One does not have to insult someone to give them honest feedback nor do you have to talk down to them either - talk to them, show them and guide them.

Mind you there's professional teachers who approach classes the way you approached that thread so my opinion may be completely wrong :lmao:

heh I always think that they only get away with this because of a few things:
1) people are paying to learn and unles they pull out of the course they have to come back next week/lesson to get their monies worth. So whilst they might be insulted at times or the critique is harsh they can't just escape. Online there are ignor lists and other website - you can simply be ignored so the approach totally fails

2) There is the personal challenging aspect - face to face some people will see it as a challenge and will try to rise to meet that - online your just a bunch of words and an ava

3) Mentor - often these people will be more wildly known and some students might have sought them out to learn from specifically - so they end up being a total arse in real life but many will push themselves a lot harder as as result to get the apprciation of their peer. Somehow I am guessing that that is not the relationship that you and the OP in that thread have ;)

(I am quick replying, so I will not take the time to quote each person for reply, but here are responses to several posts)

(overall)Well that's why I posted here, I did feel like it was a bit bad. Granted I was quite sour at the time just because it was a general vent towards the attitudes of some other people on the site that buy a DSLR and act like they're all that.

-Someone here mentioned how I wouldn't act like that in person at a car meet, you're EXACTLY right, part of the problem with the internet is that unless something sticks out, and goes to some extreme, you will likely not remember it, which the OP probably will now, so I guess that's good.

-No, I didn't learn that hard tough love stuff from TPF, and no there is no way to track me back to the site.

(Garbz) I guess I should have approached that more patiently, and raising questions. Like I said above, just let a pent up vent/rant against months of hot headed newbs out on one poor guy.

Rest assured, I am not usually the ass I presented myself as, which, looking at after a good night of sleep, I definitely was haha.

(I am quick replying, so I will not take the time to quote each person for reply, but here are responses to several posts)

(overall)Well that's why I posted here, I did feel like it was a bit bad. Granted I was quite sour at the time just because it was a general vent towards the attitudes of some other people on the site that buy a DSLR and act like they're all that.

-Someone here mentioned how I wouldn't act like that in person at a car meet, you're EXACTLY right, part of the problem with the internet is that unless something sticks out, and goes to some extreme, you will likely not remember it, which the OP probably will now, so I guess that's good.

-No, I didn't learn that hard tough love stuff from TPF, and no there is no way to track me back to the site.

(Garbz) I guess I should have approached that more patiently, and raising questions. Like I said above, just let a pent up vent/rant against months of hot headed newbs out on one poor guy.

Rest assured, I am not usually the ass I presented myself as, which, looking at after a good night of sleep, I definitely was haha.

It's nice to see that your not being defensive with the posts here. It looks like you now realize that you were too hard with your posts, and I respect that. Hey, we all make mistakes, but we just have to learn by them and move on.

I'm going to jump on the "you were an ass" bandwagon. I didn't see where that guy was asking for your critique. Seems to me you just saw someone that may or may not have been a threat to your status as photog and you let loose on him.

Don't get me wrong, it was a fun read, but yeah, you were an ass. :D

My only question is, in what way does "tried to take some pics of his dirty car lol.." state that he has the attitude that he is "all that" because he bought a dSLR?

When I get fueled by stuff on forums (been doing forums since 1995), I usually take a break before answering, and if its pissing me off that much, I sleep on it. Hot headed immediate answers are usually not the best.

I prefer being subtle and sarcastic, its much more entertaining playing with someone's mind. :)

When I get fueled by stuff on forums (been doing forums since 1995), I usually take a break before answering, and if its pissing me off that much, I sleep on it. Hot headed immediate answers are usually not the best.

I prefer being subtle and sarcastic, its much more entertaining playing with someone's mind. :)

Agreed. But this guy didn't have any reason to get upset. It's not like the guy called him out or something. He was just being an ass.

Now that you see the errors of your ways, go back and post an appology. You might earn a little respect back on that forum, and might even make a friend of the OP.

we've all had our unsavory moments and learn and grow from them, hopefully this will be one of those cases.

i've had moments like that on THIS forum (hangs head in shame)

I just checked out your crash thread. Did you take those pictures? Cuz if you did, I'm gonna jump on another bandwagon over there and say that I could take better pictures with my cell phone than you can with a dslr. :lmao:

Irony can be so, ironic. :lol:

Snapshots man. What's the point of caring how a crashed car looks like? I've at least made dirty cars come off well.

And I already apologized via PM before even making this thread.

And no, he didn't attack me directly, and didn't verbalize the hot headed attitude, but it's all over that site, and the sig just reinforced what I had seen.

Yeah, I was a total douche, but we're not perfect, you've probably all done something similar at some point. We're human.

Last edited:
blah blah blah

I just checked out your crash thread. Did you take those pictures? Cuz if you did, I'm gonna jump on another bandwagon over there and say that I could take better pictures with my cell phone than you can with a dslr. :lmao:

Irony can be so, ironic. :lol:

Snapshots man. What's the point of caring how a crashed car looks like? I've at least made dirty cars come off well.

And I already apologized via PM before even making this thread.

And no, he didn't attack me directly, and didn't verbalize the hot headed attitude, but it's all over that site, and the sig just reinforced what I and seen.

Yeah, I was a total douche, but we're not perfect, you've probably all done something similar at some point. We're human.

I know, man, I'm just having fun at your expense. YOU opened the can of worms by posting this thread here to show off your ef'd up thread over there.

I suppose the moral here is be careful what you ask for. :mrgreen:

And be careful how you act on a whim when you're really tired.

2 lessons for the price of one thread.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back